forum

[resolved] The program has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sneddy
Problem details: When I was trying to get a new skin on osu it crashed my osu and then after that, I decided to close it so it took a few minutes. After that, it just kept showing that error.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/560646258235277323/1118989200579117076/Screen_Shot_2023-06-15_at_3.42.54_PM.png

osu! version: Stable 20230326 (latest)
Blushing
Can you get a link to the skin you tried as well as check to see if there are any crash logs?

Please use the wiki link below to locate the crash log. Once you have located the crash log, please copy and paste its content into this thread here so we can take a look at it and see what is going wrong.
wiki/en/Help_Centre#event-viewer
Topic Starter
Sneddy
The skin I tried to download was a WhiteCat skin and also I am looking at the Logs for my osu folder which one do I post I see runtime.log, session.log, update_success.log, & update.log

(The Skin I tried to download it from here)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13z1oOaWhIvm4LV51BJdrf3Uv6mOia1BR

(This is the one I downloaded)
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/560646258235277323/1119000762471694436/Screen_Shot_2023-06-15_at_4.29.01_PM.png

Also, I forgot to mention that I am on a MacBook air High Sierra
Blushing
Ah. WhiteCat's skin is filled with animations, which causes an extremely long chain of issues. As long as the skin isnt used or is edited to remove most of the animations (back to main screen animation, health animation, basically most of them) you should be ok, but if you dont wanna do that then its probably best to find a skin that doesnt have upwards to 500 files of animations.
Topic Starter
Sneddy
Okay, so how do I get my osu! back to launching properly again instead of it showing me this error which I can't play osu no more?
chromb
should be able to just move the skin out of the skin folder so that it loads the default, then it should load if it's a skin issue.

I vividly remember the whitecat skin taking wayyyy too much resources so would cause crashes, so it's probably that.
Topic Starter
Sneddy
I removed the skin out from the skin folder and apparently still does not work and I am not even sure what is going on now.

Do you have any other tips I mean I could import all my beatmaps and skins to another osu app would that work?
Blushing
This is where the crash logs will come in handy: https://www.stata.com/support/faqs/mac/finding-mac-crash-log/#:~:text=The%20easiest%20way%20to%20get,to%20locate%20the%20crash%20logs. that link kind of describes a way to locate a crash log on mac.

Another thing you could do is to try and hold shift while launching the game, then see if you can repair it with the repair osu! button, or enable compatibility mode.
Topic Starter
Sneddy
I found where the crash log is at it says Wineskin2023-06-15-184140Air.crash . I also see a bunch of other air.crashes but there like different names all from weeks ago but I was not sure what it was.

What do I do next after I find the crash log on my Mac?
Blushing
Well... Did you have any issues with starting osu! before hand? A simple restart of the computer might help set anything astray correct, try that and maybe see if there is any more info in the crash log you have by clicking on it and seeing if there is anything.
Topic Starter
Sneddy
I fixed the problem and all I had to do is uninstall and reinstall osu back unfortunately, I have to download every single beat map again but the skins are fine.
Blushing
Well... you couldve moved your skins folder outside of osu! and imported it back in when you reinstalled, but as that is in the past you can go through your historical/most played beatmaps on your userpage to redownload the maps from the past that you have played! Best of luck
Topic Starter
Sneddy
Thanks so much! Appreciated your help.