forum

[Archived] Lag in general

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Darksonic
I'm posting here because tried everything and couldn't solve any lag problem, so I'll try to explain my problem tl;dr:

Since maaany time ago already I'm playing with lags on my computer, but mainly these lags happen in osu! only, example: Hitnotes seem to be a bit laggy when they appear on the screen, input lag (Cursor doesn't move fluidly and seems to work in less frames than it should, obviously if this happen I'll never be able to aim properly), also when I go to my maps menu to play something, it takes more time than what it should to switch from a map to other, and obviously the game in general got some lag, because it's like timing in every map I play is altered, so I have to change offsets to try to make it work better, but this is annoying to do, etc, and weirdly, even with all those lags the game can reach 1500 fps without any problem. I tried to play in fullscreen and window mode and both work the same, my computer is totally clean (no virus, no shit stuff on the desktop), I'm always deleting stuff that I don't use and could maybe provoke some lag, already rebooted computer some times, so seriously I don't know what else to do, I'm tired of playing like this because this is limiting my skills.
These are my computer specs, as you can see my computer isn't that bad and I shouldn't have any problem to play fluidly:

- Intelcore 2 Quad CPU Q9400 2.66GHz.
- 4GB RAM DDR3
- Video card: GeForce GTS 250

So, which could be the problem/s here? if you got any idea about something that could worth testing please post here or pm me ingame, I'm fine with that.
Full Tablet
Did you check for overheating? Try using a frame limiter below the one you are currently using (in the osu!.<username>.cfg, change the value "CustomFrameLimit" to about 400 (in-game, this will usually go well above 400fps, but it should still be below 1500fps)).
Topic Starter
Darksonic

Full Tablet wrote:

Did you check for overheating? Try using a frame limiter below the one you are currently using (in the osu!.<username>.cfg, change the value "CustomFrameLimit" to about 400 (in-game, this will usually go well above 400fps, but it should still be below 1500fps).
Tried it but nothing changes.
DeamonHunter
Have you tried updating drivers for both your video card and sound card?

Otherwise certain other programs may interfere with osu, however I don't know of which of those that do. If that doesn't fix it, maybe try uploading a video to how what is happening.
Topic Starter
Darksonic

DeamonHunter11 wrote:

Have you tried updating drivers for both your video card and sound card?

Otherwise certain other programs may interfere with osu, however I don't know of which of those that do. If that doesn't fix it, maybe try uploading a video to how what is happening.
Yup, tried that some times and I already verified everything was updated and in order, but doesn't seem to change anything. And about uploading a video, I'd love to but I'm not sure if you will notice what's really going on here, I mean what I have it's a minimal general lag, but it affects my gameplay so you'd have to play here to realize the real problems.
Topic Starter
Darksonic
Bump. I'd love to read more possible options I could try, please ;_;
IamKwaN
Yeah, i have experienced lag recently too after some updates of osu (but I forgot which update it is). It never happens before, so I think it's the problem of the software itself. Please provide some suggestions of what we can do. Its kind of annoying when u missed becoz of lag, isn't it? D:
Nathanael
After I've reinstalled Windows, it still causes lag for me even by running osu! on unlimited FPS.
Specially when I'm playing on CTB and mania.
Topic Starter
Darksonic

Nathanael wrote:

After I've reinstalled Windows, it still causes lag for me even by running osu! on unlimited FPS.
Specially when I'm playing on CTB and mania.
Same here, it never helped.
KinkiN
Beware of cache memory.

But it is only lagging on osu! only eh? how about testing it in other games?

and how much is your fps counter showing in osu! when playing a beatmap?
buny
Did you try switching between DirectX and OpenGL?
Also have you tried allocating osu!.exe a higher priority?
Does the lag lessen if you lower your fps to say, 120?
Nathanael

buny wrote:

Yuzuru wrote:

Beware of cache memory.
I tried on other games and its fine.

• DirectX
  1. 120fps: Shows about 135-140 fps.
  2. Unlimited: Shows about 500fps on non-streams, 430 on streams.
    No delays

OpenGL
  3. 120fps: The same as DirectX. Shows about 125-138 fps.
  4. Unlimited: Same as DirectX. Shows about 300fps on non-streams, 230fps on streams.
    I feel some delays when using this renderer

Misc
  5. Any of them still causes lags on random parts.
  6. Changing osu!'s priority (either higher or lower) just makes it more laggy.
  7. Memory didn't exceed 100,000 K (based on the Task Manager).
  8. Ran at full screen, "snaking sliders" option is only enabled on graphic details.
  9. Mode Tested: standard
  10. Skin used is the default with customization (removed effects like particle300, star2), for reducing lag.
Given these results, I will stick to 120 fps at the future. <.<
razavana
One thing I noticed is that reducing the elements in a custom skin improves fps and decreases inpunt lag, believe it or not, it actualy solved my input lag problems
Topic Starter
Darksonic

Yuzuru wrote:

Beware of cache memory.

The whole computer is always lagging a bit, some games could work faster I think, I got some lag problems with other games as well. I got like 1300 fps when playing a beatmap without scoreboard.

buny wrote:

Yeah, both work the same, same with higher priority, that doesn't help. No, using limited fps doesn't make a difference sadly.

razavana wrote:

One thing I noticed is that reducing the elements in a custom skin improves fps and decreases inpunt lag, believe it or not, it actualy solved my input lag problems
Yeah maybe this works, but since the lag is on my whole computer this won't help either.
lolcubes
Same thing with my laptop but I discovered that using OpenGL mode and fullscreen with unlimited fps (which still gave me around 200 only) was enough to make the gameplay fluid and have no input lag. This might not solve your spasms your client gets but it may fix the input lag.

Is your osu! folder on the same disk your windows are? Or partition? How old is your windows installation?
Topic Starter
Darksonic

lolcubes wrote:

Same thing with my laptop but I discovered that using OpenGL mode and fullscreen with unlimited fps (which still gave me around 200 only) was enough to make the gameplay fluid and have no input lag. This might not solve your spasms your client gets but it may fix the input lag.

Is your osu! folder on the same disk your windows are? Or partition? How old is your windows installation?
Yes I think, but as I said before, lag is on the entire computer and it obviously affects osu! as well, the only problem is not on osu! but I'd really love to play more fluidly. Hmm the last time I installed W7 was some months ago.. around 7 maybe.
KinkiN

lolcubes wrote:

How old is your windows installation?
i think how old your windows is not gonna affect the performance. all resides in your process , processor and RAM

well since you said your computer is a bit laggy, try RAM Optimizer 2.0 (or smth like that) , it works for me b4. 50 FPS ----> 200 FPS. cuz if your whole PC is laggy the problem resides in RAM / Processor / VGA Card iirc

since the only way to improve processor is overclocking , and you can't do anything about VGA card, then trying to optimize RAM is the only option

however if the problem IS really the RAM (cache memory) , be sure to optimize it often
Wulfzz
I had the same problem a while ago, when I was livestreaming. Like 10-20ms freezes. I had the task-manager running once and noted my processor usage spiked to 100% when the freezes was occuring. I have a shitty and old i5 2400 from late 2011, but now it seems to be fine. (I will get a new processor and MB when the 5th gen is released later this year -.-")

Anyways, I suggest you do the same, maybe you can do some more troubleshooting.
Topic Starter
Darksonic

_-[Sakai-kun]-_ wrote:

I had the same problem a while ago, when I was livestreaming. Like 10-20ms freezes. I had the task-manager running once and noted my processor usage spiked to 100% when the freezes was occuring. I have a shitty and old i5 2400 from late 2011, but now it seems to be fine. (I will get a new processor and MB when the 5th gen is released later this year -.-")

Anyways, I suggest you do the same, maybe you can do some more troubleshooting.
Sadly I need a solution that doesn't require to spend money, since I'm lack of it.