forum

[invalid] Pay Money to Name Change

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +16
Topic Starter
Senpai Juice
I suggest a service where after one uses the name change from supporter status, they can pay money to name change again, around maybe $5 USD.
Japowpow
Solution: Don't name change to something stupid.

It's not a bad idea though.

Edit: Nice avatar^
Vuelo Eluko
I used to name change on league of legends ALL the time. I literally had about 15-20 namechanges under my belt from season 2-4.... So eh.

That probably makes me biased to agree with this.

[i didnt waste as much money as you'd think. people gifted me rp to duo with them lol]

Although, Osu is more of a.. i guess 'close' community, so frequent name changes dont seem as appealing to me here. +1 regardless, it's personal choice, and peppy would definitely get some revenue
kouzuki_karen
s.upport but I believe subsequent name changes should be a tad dearer.
Vuelo Eluko

mrdumpling64 wrote:

he was equally clear in the post, but yes subsequent would have been a quicker way to say it. However, not everyone who reads this thread is going to be fluent enough in english to know that word I'd think :P
Topic Starter
Senpai Juice

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

mrdumpling64 wrote:

he was equally clear in the post, but yes subsequent would have been a quicker way to say it. However, not everyone who reads this thread is going to be fluent enough in english to know that word I'd think :P
I believe mrdumpling64 meant that each subsequent name change should be more expensive?
Vuelo Eluko

Senpai Juice wrote:

I believe mrdumpling64 meant that each subsequent name change should be more expensive?
Ehh. It would deter repeated name changes by 1 person but it doesnt seem necessary
Lust
Oh god there is already confusion as is in the community with name changes. Purchasing more will only add to it.
Espionage724
Can't say I'm a fan of multiple name changes nor do I really see a need for it. All it does is add unnecessary confusion (I go as far as removing people from my friends list if I have no idea who they are due to some stupid name change). I consider display names to be static identifiers, not some immature-joke-reference-showoff fest.

But perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way. Is there a legitimate reason why someone would want more than one name change? I can understand a mistype or mis-cased character, but a total name change is just questionable...
zxcv
I thought that "you-only-change-name-once" meant that everytime I buy supporter I can change my name. goddamn I was dumb. I WANT MY BLOODY NAME CHANGED. I'm that kind of person who likes something then the next day I fucking hate it. Also explains why I switch red key to blue to red to blue
Rakuen
uh...no

Probably this is not needed, changing your name too much make your friends and other players hard to recognize you

In other point, you're hiding yourself

You can talk to a moderator to change your name if it's necessary without any coin needed
For example: you're having a random name like abc45642774
OR you're having an abusive or offensive name (I can't put an example here sorry)
Kodora
t/170868 duplicate?
Stefan

Kodora wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/170868 duplicate?
Yup. This shouldn't and won't happen.
Alarido
Changing name as changing clothes feels nonsense imho... The current naming change system is enough to ones that perhaps mischoose their usernames (like osu2345678 and so on).

It would have a true Negative impact on mappers. Think of Andrea, he ranked some maps under his former username (osuplayer111) and, hence, he adds this on tags on all of his maps since he changed username to his current one.

If name change were, let's say, 10 times limit, and a mapper (or some mappers) rank at least one map under each username he/she took... Their mapsets' tags would be more likely 'filled' in part with their usernames they used in the past. In a world: confusion ('Bavel' for Priti).

Well...
Topic Starter
Senpai Juice

Rakuen wrote:

uh...no

Probably this is not needed, changing your name too much make your friends and other players hard to recognize you

In other point, you're hiding yourself

You can talk to a moderator to change your name if it's necessary without any coin needed
For example: you're having a random name like abc45642774
OR you're having an abusive or offensive name (I can't put an example here sorry)
It's true that you can talk to a moderator if you need a name change, but thats specific to the reasons you said. But if you have no reason then you can just pay to name change :/ And anyways this would bring some extra funds in for server costs.
Wishy
One change name every two years should be fine?
Espionage724

Senpai Juice wrote:

...But if you have no reason then you can just pay to name change :/ And anyways this would bring some extra funds in for server costs.
Would open up abuse for those with money pretty much.

Wishy wrote:

One change name every two years should be fine?
This doesn't really help the confusion part too much; would just restrict it to happening every 2 years. Plus I don't see too many people wanting to change their username for any good reason after 2 years...
Topic Starter
Senpai Juice

Espionage724 wrote:

Senpai Juice wrote:

...But if you have no reason then you can just pay to name change :/ And anyways this would bring some extra funds in for server costs.

I don't see the problem with people abusing name change, it really only hurts themselves in that they are one, confusing everyone that knows them, two, confusing themselves with a multitude of names, and three throwing money out of their own pocket to change their username on an online game. This is more meant to be a last, last, chance in case one has third thoughts that comes with a price.

Edit: @Espionage724, I meant having no reason as in the legitimate reasons you listed, not in the sense like randomly abusing and picking weird names. Like say someone feels their username doesn't represent them anymore or made a name change and a year later doesn't like it anymore.
Topic Starter
Senpai Juice

Senpai Juice wrote:

Espionage724 wrote:

I don't see the problem with people abusing name change, it really only hurts themselves in that they are one, confusing everyone that knows them, two, confusing themselves with a multitude of names, and three throwing money out of their own pocket to change their username on an online game. This is more meant to be a last, last, chance in case one has third thoughts that comes with a price.

Edit: @Espionage724, I meant having no reason as in the legitimate reasons you listed, not in the sense like randomly abusing and picking weird names. Like say someone feels their username doesn't represent them anymore or made a name change and a year later doesn't like it anymore.

Second edit because I don't want to double post and thought of this in bed : To solve the problem of abuse it could be a thing only available like once per year? For example during the first 7 days of the year one can pay so and so to change their name.
- Marco -

- O No De Ra - wrote:

I thought that "you-only-change-name-once" meant that everytime I buy supporter I can change my name. goddamn I was dumb. I WANT MY BLOODY NAME CHANGED. I'm that kind of person who likes something then the next day I fucking hate it. Also explains why I switch red key to blue to red to blue
accounts@ppy.sh

i would like to try changing my username just to see how it feels, like i used on facebook (but now it's stucked there :c )
KuroUsagi
This is not too bad but what happen if people just abuse it
Topic Starter
Senpai Juice

KuroUsagi wrote:

This is not too bad but what happen if people just abuse it

Senpai Juice wrote:

To solve the problem of abuse it could be a thing only available like once per year? For example during the first 7 days of the year one can pay so and so to change their name.
Just an idea.
Liiraye
Here's what I've gathered so far.

pros:
People can change their name because they want a new one
Peppy makes more money -> possibly more motivation to focus on featured requests.
everybody involved get happy

cons: ??? People spend money to 'abuse' I.E. changing name often (how is this even abuse?)

So why not? As it's not allowed to have multiple accounts, I say let people get named w/e they want. After a few years you might've changed your mindset and gotten tired of your kidname.
peppy
not happening.
if it did it would not be paid
Liiraye

peppy wrote:

not happening.
I know it's entirely your choice, but could you perhaps say why this is 'bad' or w/e? I stated my points on the post above.
Stefan

Liiraye wrote:

cons: ??? People spend money to 'abuse' I.E. changing name often (how is this even abuse?)
This is more as bad and should not happen to prevent confusion. There are enough cases where people has no idea who's who. Then people will start to use similar names (i.e someone replace the letter "I" with a little "l" to make similar things like Lally / LaIIy)

This is ridiculous and people are going do things like these.
Liiraye

Stefan wrote:

Liiraye wrote:

This is more as bad and should not happen to prevent confusion. There are enough cases where people has no idea who's who. Then people will start to use similar names (i.e someone replace the letter "I" with a little "l" to make similar things like Lally / LaIIy)

This is ridiculous and people are going do things like these.
I guess when you put it that way it makes sense. Thanks for clearifying
Lust
All the costs are handled by supporter purchases/peppy's pocket. osu! isn't really a for profit organization. If it was, you would see ads up the ass.
Topic Starter
Senpai Juice

peppy wrote:

not happening.
is this still invalid or nah
Lanturn

Senpai Juice wrote:

is this still invalid or nah
http://store.ppy.sh/store/product/32
Miterosan

peppy wrote:

not happening.

LOL ... peppy .... wow .... https://store.ppy.sh/store/product/32
Stefan
Hey, opinions can always change, what a surprise! Locking to prevent more unnecessary bumps.