forum

How do I get modders for my beatmap?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
I am kind of lost on how to get any modding for my beatmap, as I have no idea where to go to get anyone who would be willing to give me some feedback. I posted my map on Umbre's modding queue, but it's just posted there, just to be safe, as I have no idea if it fits that criteria. What else could I do to get any people who would give my map some good feedback?

This is the map in question.

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1994201#osu/4144125
[[[[[[
wait umbre does modding?

also you can also go to osumod.com to find mods too, and it's ok to ask for multiple modders at once
Zelzatter Zero
As you already did, Modding Queue is one start. However you should post in multiple queues, 6-7 queues per 1-2 days is ideal to secure the chance of getting your map modded whilst keeping yourself from spamming.

You can also either go to any mapping Discord server, post your map there in mapping channel and ask for feedback there. Last I checked ppl are willing to check the map, albeit a lil bit slow.

Some people, BNs (Beatmap Nominators) in particular, also specified themselves to DM them for feedback. You should check either their queue or their userpage to see if they allowed such.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
It's hard to find the right modding queues to accept the map, and I'm out of options and near to stopping going for ranked. It actually seems extremely complicated.

EDIT: osumod.com is as convoluted as the modding queues, so I think my map is unmodable, and in turn, unrankable. I will have to start mapping J-Pop or Metal, since most, if not all modding queues require them.
WitherMite
People will still often mod genres that arent listed as preferred genre, as long as you dont post genres that they specificly say they dislike and wont mod.

A quick look through the queues and I see most right now dont explicitly say only metal and/or jpop, many dont even really have genre preferences

Really it doesnt hurt anyone to post your map anyway when you arent sure if they would mod the set or not, usually they'll just deny or ignore your post if they dont. Just follow what the queue owner is specific about being rules
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

WitherMite wrote:

People will still often mod genres that arent listed as preferred genre, as long as you dont post genres that they specificly say they dislike and wont mod.

A quick look through the queues and I see most right now dont explicitly say only metal and/or jpop, many dont even really have genre preferences

Really it doesnt hurt anyone to post your map anyway when you arent sure if they would mod the set or not, usually they'll just deny or ignore your post if they dont. Just follow what the queue owner is specific about being rules
Well, I guess that means Umbra has been ignoring me for the past week, from your context. Any good queues I can go to? I can't really seem to find a proper one that is open.
MrMcMikey22
Guys we must pin this thread! ;w;
Blushing
We dont really need to pin this thread, imo. However, it is paramount that everyone knows that mapping discussion forum is not for modding queues and asking for people to take a look at their maps/asking for maps to be created, etc.

As for what queue to put your map into, just put it into as many as you want or as few as you would like. It does nothing for you except applying the mods and keeping track of what people/queues are done or are in progress.

Just go to the designated modding queue subforum for your map (osu!, taiko, catch, mania) and post it in a few, try to look for more active ones and of course, like above, make sure that your map isnt going to get auto rejected based on preferences and what they are willing to mod. Also, keep in mind that these are real people too, and most likely your age or similar in age, so they've probably got school or other activities that may take them away for some time, so be patient and allow for them to work their magic, just like you worked magic on your beatmap!

If you are getting no mods from the forums and from osumod.com, try going into #modhelp, or even joining some global/mapping discords for your preferred gamemode. More often than not they will have a modding channel where you can post it and as it is discord more people are inclined to look at it and even check their notifications.

Regardless, nothing is unrankable, just need to give it enough time or rework it enough. Some other help is to look at other difficulties of the same range and try and see what they are doing with that and maybe even throw your own sparkle of mapping genius onto what they have.

Also. ALWAYS TEST PLAY! It will catch a lot of things that you may think are okay until you play them.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
I have tried everything you said above to get mods and they have a history of maps being deliberately ignored.

Blushing wrote:

We dont really need to pin this thread, imo. However, it is paramount that everyone knows that mapping discussion forum is not for modding queues and asking for people to take a look at their maps/asking for maps to be created, etc.

As for what queue to put your map into, just put it into as many as you want or as few as you would like. It does nothing for you except applying the mods and keeping track of what people/queues are done or are in progress.

Just go to the designated modding queue subforum for your map (osu!, taiko, catch, mania) and post it in a few, try to look for more active ones and of course, like above, make sure that your map isnt going to get auto rejected based on preferences and what they are willing to mod. Also, keep in mind that these are real people too, and most likely your age or similar in age, so they've probably got school or other activities that may take them away for some time, so be patient and allow for them to work their magic, just like you worked magic on your beatmap!

If you are getting no mods from the forums and from osumod.com, try going into #modhelp, or even joining some global/mapping discords for your preferred gamemode. More often than not they will have a modding channel where you can post it and as it is discord more people are inclined to look at it and even check their notifications.

Regardless, nothing is unrankable, just need to give it enough time or rework it enough. Some other help is to look at other difficulties of the same range and try and see what they are doing with that and maybe even throw your own sparkle of mapping genius onto what they have.

Also. ALWAYS TEST PLAY! It will catch a lot of things that you may think are okay until you play them.
Tried everything you stated above for getting mods and they have a history of deliberately ignoring users who post their maps, so getting modders is just luck. Knowing I am usually void of any luck, I'm never getting my maps ranked.

What is easier to go for? Ranked? Loved? Graveyard seems the easiest.
MrMcMikey22
Hold up I'm trying to mod it for you! ._.

Ranking a map is already a ridiculously annoying process.. -_-
Nao Tomori
getting mods isn't a matter of luck. neither is ranking things. i guess nobody told you yet but people generally want to mod things they think can become rankable. just looking at the home page of your map, i can tell you why nobody is modding it:
- you don't have the required difficulties for a rankable spread
- you turned an 88 bpm pop song into a 6 star map with ar od and hp 10 rather than actual settings
- you're a newer mapper so your map is probably not good enough to be constructively modded

here is my advice:
- map a different song (just to move on from this map, the song is not inherently bad)
- look at the ranking criteria and make sure you are following it as best you can
- take a look at other ranked maps in a similar genre and try to copy their visuals, rhythm choice, and other features
- accept that modding queues are voluntary and the majority of maps posted there are not picked up because of various reasons mostly boiling down to personal preference

you need to adjust your expectations for ranking things. it usually takes several months to a year for a newer mapper to get their first ranked maps. it usually takes a lot more effort, many discarded maps, and so on. that's just how it is; quality standards are high and people want to use their limited time volunteering efficiently.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Nao Tomori wrote:

getting mods isn't a matter of luck. neither is ranking things. i guess nobody told you yet but people generally want to mod things they think can become rankable. just looking at the home page of your map, i can tell you why nobody is modding it:
- you turned an 88 bpm pop song into a 6 star map with ar od and hp 10 rather than actual settings
- you're a newer mapper so your map is probably not good enough to be constructively modded

here is my advice:
- map a different song (just to move on from this map, the song is not inherently bad)
- look at the ranking criteria and make sure you are following it as best you can
- take a look at other ranked maps in a similar genre and try to copy their visuals, rhythm choice, and other features
- accept that modding queues are voluntary and the majority of maps posted there are not picked up because of various reasons mostly boiling down to personal preference

you need to adjust your expectations for ranking things. it usually takes several months to a year for a newer mapper to get their first ranked maps. it usually takes a lot more effort, many discarded maps, and so on. that's just how it is; quality standards are high and people want to use their limited time volunteering efficiently.
I map my own way. Nothing is changing it. I map the way I see fit. I'm just here to get them modernized for optimized playability. I see the ranking process and I am trying to follow it, while also making my map as playable as possible.

EDIT: I give up. I quit.
MrMcMikey22

LaymooDR wrote:

Nao Tomori wrote:

here is my advice:

I map my own way. Nothing is changing it. I map the way I see fit. I'm just here to get them modernized for optimized playability. I see the ranking process and I am trying to follow it, while also making my map as playable as possible.

EDIT: I give up. I quit.
(waiiit don't quiiit!! ;w;)

To be fair mapping isn't for everyone. It's kinda like working on a job... Either you get a good one that will lead you to success or uhhhhh..a bad one where almost everything tries to block you from ranking a goddang single map...

I am also really struggling to map stuff properly even two years later.. ;_;

And I'm also very bad at hitsounding too... ._.