forum

advice for someone who's returning after a really long break?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rivulet60
hi hello, sooo it's been very long since I've touched osu! or just any other rhythm game in general, and today I've felt motivated to pick mania up again, so here I am with a new account and everything. I still have a bit of muscle memory from when I've played 3* beatmaps (my limit back then), but obviously I'm now rusty, not to mention worse than before at long notes (not like the beatmaps dedicated specifically to LN noodles and stuff, but as in normal LNs that you hold along with pressing single or double notes at the same time, you get the deal I suppose)

I feel like starting over with 1* maps so I can get used to things again, and maybe even improve in areas where I've slightly lacked, but any advice for someone like me? as in, am I doing the right thing by restarting with 1* maps, or should I play with more keys such as 7k for example to improve my finger independence? things like that.

sorry if this just looks like an average "how do i get better now!!!!" post and such, but I just feel kinda lost as to what I specifically shouldn't do in order to not be stuck in the future, and I want to continue enjoying this game again. thanks!
Wimpy Cursed
Well if you feel like your skill really got pushed back to 1* maps, sure you're doing the right thing.
However, I would say just play maps that you get an A or S rank on, then amp up the difficulty a bit.

As for LN, try playing LN heavy maps that aren't too hard. Just good enough to teach you control on them.

If you want to play 7k, go ahead.
If you want to learn finger independence that way, it's fine. either 4k or 7k will work.
Stomiks
Try testing how rusty you are first. Maybe you're good enough to get 90%+ acc on 2 star maps and you could start there. LNs are pretty much practice since you need to get used to a ton of long notes filling your screen. It's best to continue to play a ton of LNs since there's not really any hidden trick to it.

Also, have you worked with osu staff regarding your old osu account? Currently the rule for accounts is that you could ever only make one.
15C
Just be motivated and start from the beginning again, you will improve faster because you will remember the muscle memory as you go
shp
just try not to compare your derust scores to your peak or else you will feel bad. like if u can feel good about improvements over your skill level from a few days ago, then it makes the process easier.

rivulet60 wrote:

am I doing the right thing by restarting with 1* maps, or should I play with more keys such as 7k for example to improve my finger independence? things like that.
playing 7k hasn't made my 4k skill better. if you want to improve at 4k just play 4k imo.

as for what charts you should play / what you should strive for, i don't have advice on this. i'm a really slow improver so i can't say much.