forum

[resolved] MS issue

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jonobang
Problem details:
Every time I play OSU for the first few songs I get <1 MS speeds, but after awhile or if I minimize the game and bring it back up it jumps up to 8+ MS until I minimize and maximize the game again, and it happens for pretty much every song...?

osu! version: Stable 20230326 (latest)
Giai tich 2
When osu! isn't being focused (aka run in background), osu! automatically limit the frame limiter, at which your frametime went up to 8ms. But when switching back to the game, somehow the game didn't regconise, or the Operating System didn't notify osu! being focused again -> it keeps that frametime.
And when you do that again, it actually let the game know the focus is changed -> back to Unlimited.

Try this (or these?) combination(s):

1. Right click the "osu!.exe" in your osu! folder, and click Properties (or quicker, select the file and press Alt+Enter).
Switch to Compatibility tab, and tick/untick "Disable fullscreen optimizations".
AND/OR
2. Turn on Compatibility mode in-game (may increase your latency a bit, but with some tweaks to your offset, it should be okay).
Topic Starter
jonobang

Giai tich 2 wrote:

When osu! isn't being focused (aka run in background), osu! automatically limit the frame limiter, at which your frametime went up to 8ms. But when switching back to the game, somehow the game didn't regconise, or the Operating System didn't notify osu! being focused again -> it keeps that frametime.
And when you do that again, it actually let the game know the focus is changed -> back to Unlimited.

Try this (or these?) combination(s):

1. Right click the "osu!.exe" in your osu! folder, and click Properties (or quicker, select the file and press Alt+Enter).
Switch to Compatibility tab, and tick/untick "Disable fullscreen optimizations".
AND/OR
2. Turn on Compatibility mode in-game (may increase your latency a bit, but with some tweaks to your offset, it should be okay).
still having issues after the fixes you suggested, I thought the same thing but didn't think of the optimization disable, already had compatibility mode enabled as well. I'm so stumped. Also to emphasize it does it also even if it isn't minimized, mainly after completing my first song after launching and then the next song I play sticks to 8 ms until I minimize it and maximize it which seems to refresh it.

EDIT: Fixed it! found the fix on reddit, will post below for any who are wondering.

"Try turning off "Focus assist when I'm playing a game" in the Windows 10 settings. Should be under "System > Focus Assist" - at least in 1803."