forum

"avatars" folder should be hidden/renamed [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
It's silly to see people obviously using other users' avatars, but it's vaguely understandable that new users might look at the "avatars" folder and think that's what it's there for. If it could be tucked into the "Data" folder and/or renamed to something bland like "cache" then we'd see this issue disappear.
Gemi

LuigiHann wrote:

It's silly to see people obviously using other users' avatars, but it's vaguely understandable that new users might look at the "avatars" folder and think that's what it's there for. If it could be tucked into the "Data" folder and/or renamed to something bland like "cache" then we'd see this issue disappear.
Oh yeah, I never realized this is why people keep copying avatars from others. I've seen at least a few guys taking Verkel's avatar for example. HUGE support from me for renaming to 'cache' or something.
peppy
Actually I might take another step and change the format they are stored in (to load faster and to be unreadable).
Gemi

peppy wrote:

Actually I might take another step and change the format they are stored in (to load faster and to be unreadable).
Nice. :)
Cyclone
Well that wouldn't really solve the "stolen avatar" issue very much actually...

Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Cyclone wrote:

Well that wouldn't really solve the "stolen avatar" issue very much actually...
Your example suggests intentional avatar theft, which isn't an issue. I'm talking about accidental/clueless avatar theft by selecting an avatar from what appears to be an assortment of avatars for the taking
Cyclone
In that case, carry on.
CaptainBacon_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
adam2046
Some people get nostalgiac and like to look through it.
Zekira

CaptainBacon wrote:

Seriously . What is the whole point of the Avatar folder ? I'ts useless and it also a ( litte ) waste of hardrive space .
To answer your question, it's used to store the avatars of players so that it can be displayed on the F9 and the Multiplayer menus.
peppy
It saves a huge amount of traffic and overhead in sending avatars across the wires.
awp

Cyclone
It's already happened before.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

peppy wrote:

If you could also, in the process, make it so it saves by username/user number so it overwrites instead of adds, that would be great.
CheeseWarlock

LuigiHann wrote:

overwrites instead of adds
This, definitely. It never goes back to old files even if the user changes back to a previous avatar (I think?), so those old files are nothing but clutter.
Derekku

adam2046 wrote:

Some people get nostalgiac and like to look through it.
This. *backs up his avatar folder for nostalgia just in case* x3
Ekaru
My avatar folder takes up over 200 megabytes, which is a lot, considering my hard driver and downloading habits. It's so big that it results in any moment of osu! processing the avatars to take forever (ex. installing again without deleting anything or selecting "Delete Unused Avatars") Horray! Dang, those tiny images add up fast, but it's not a problem due to mass deleting of useless junk! Oops, off topic.

Support for this. I've been wanting this for a while now. Nothing like seeing a 9 year old Pokemon fan using your Digimon avatar...
anonymous_old
Prune old avatars? Prune by creation date, that is.

Ekaru, loading ideally should be the same speed regardless if old avatars are there or not. It's not an osu! problem if adding 100 MB of unused files slows down your computer in some way.

I support hiding non-assets from normal users who aren't looking for non-assets.
Zekira

awp wrote:

Luigi just pwnt stuff.
FurukawaPan
Obviously, anyone *wanting* to steal someone's avatar would just grab it off the forums (or maybe just Prnt Scrn if they are way lazy), but this is a good idea to call Avatars something else or cache it elsewhere, because a new user will make the reasonable assumption that the "Avatars" folder was put there to give them something to choose for themselves, and not realizing it's really the cache for everyone *else's* avatars.

Support.