forum

The game opens on the wrong monitor, based on which monitor the .exe was when launching it

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
Problem details: If I open the osu.exe file when it is displayed on my second monitor, the game will open on said second monitor. I do not want that to happen and it's honestly a really bad design as it completely ignores every settings you can set, both in windows and in the .cfg file from the osu folder.

Video or screenshot showing the problem: Self explanatory.

Is there any way to force the game to open on Display1 NO MATTER WHAT ?

Like adding a command to the .exe file to force it on Display1 or something.

Windows shift arrow keys is not a solution. Going to windowed mode and then switching monitors is not a solution. The game should launch on the monitor I want and I shouldn't have to drag the window or do extra work everytime I launch the game.

osu! version: Stable 20230326 (latest)
Rekunan
Unfortunately, this issue exists on all applications. The best thing you can do is to set your Display1 as your main monitor in Windows settings and hope for the best.

However, if you're willing to try out unofficial (some being sketchy) solutions, here're some articles I found that while I haven't tested for myself, might be helpful:
https://www.alphr.com/force-program-to-open-on-specific-monitor/
https://superuser.com/questions/738081/how-to-make-applications-open-on-the-correct-monitor-when-using-multiple-monitor

I encourage you to also search online; to find these I searched up "forcing an application to open in 1st monitor instead of 2nd".
Topic Starter
Unknowiii

Rekunan wrote:

Unfortunately, this issue exists on all applications. The best thing you can do is to set your Display1 as your main monitor in Windows settings and hope for the best.
Over 20 years of using computers daily, osu! is the only application I ever encountered that behaves like that. As I said, it ignores windows settings, as it opens on display2 instead of display1, it ignores its own settings as in my user config file, I changed it to display1 and yet when I open the game, it changes it back to display2.

The links you sent are workarounds, which is exactly what I refuse to do and why I made this post.

Quoting myself :

Unknowiii wrote:

Windows shift arrow keys is not a solution. Going to windowed mode and then switching monitors is not a solution. The game should launch on the monitor I want and I shouldn't have to drag the window or do extra work EVERYTIME I launch the game.
Rekunan
In my experience, all the other applications behave the same way. However, if what you're saying is correct, you're better off making an issue in the stable issues repo.