forum

Regarding IRC Modding Posts When Modding

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Andrea
Hi there, I've seen more and more maps being modded on IRC these days and usually BNs simply post that it was modded on Discord without providing any chat logs or details as to what was suggested and changed.

I think this will just make whoever approaches those maps in qualified to repeat the same stuff that probably were mentioned by the nominator during the IRC mod. Also, having the log posted would provide more transparency and make NATs job easier when it comes to evaluate the modding quality of the nominators in said beatmap.

It's pretty simple since you can just paste your log and upload it to pastebin or similar sites, like here for example: beatmapsets/754470/discussion/-/generalAll#/3653315 - BNs are obviously free to edit out any unnecessary stuff in the log and just keep a resume of the stuff fixed.

When doing IRC modding also, posting a log with the changes was also a standard modding practice even in the past, so I'm unsure on why people don't post logs anymore.

If the modding was done on voice call, even just having a resume of overall changes should be enough, otherwise if it was done via chat, screens or the log itself works.

In short, I believe that posting the log of the fixes done is needed to:

1) To let NATs evaluate your modding and what you provided as suggestions to fix, not having any log won't allow NATs to judge your BN work on said map and also having a log would leave further proof of what you modded.

2) For better transparency and for allowing everyone know what was fixed during the modding process, in order to avoid users mentioning the same stuff that the nominator mentioned during the modding session.

3) Keep the same routine as it was on the past where we used to provide a log of what was changed for tracking purposes.

That said, I think we should find a way to keep IRC modding available since it can be very comfortable to do but also let this kind of modding give the same kind of transparency as timeline modding on the map itself, for better tracking purposes.

Also, if you're wondering why I posted in this sub-forum it's because the whole topic does not relate to RC but rather an internal BN affair and therefore it is also opened for discussion.

Feel free to state your opinion on the matter.
wafer
i think its fine to just say irc modded if ur an experienced bn and dont make all ur mods like this (nat evaluation)

should prob be enforced for newbie modders

also what about vc chats? no one gonna record they vc
Stompy_
voice chats would be difficult but i don't see an issue with discord chats or stuff like that
Topic Starter
Andrea
I mean like I wrote on main post a simple solution for voice chats would be just to post a simple resume of the stuff that got fixed and that should be enough imo.
wafer
respectfully, i am not doing that while modding in vc

i think this jsut adds another layer of scrutinty for little reason when nat dont need these logs unless specifically requested
FuJu
we already take action on this if it becomes excessive.