forum

Honest question: Can mapping actually affect playing performance?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gamesnake7
So recently I've picked up mapping mania, and I loved it. However I noticed that the more I delve into it the more my skill feels like it's stuck at a certain point. Now can mapping actually affect the performance when you play mania?

I've got the answer myself, but I'm not so sure whether I should actually take it. Yes I know mapping for an extended time without playing at all results in a rust, but I wonder if mapping after a day's session is worth it.

Also should I just focus on playing (+ taking a break) to get the most of performance? Because I felt like I improve less by mapping after a session.
15C
Mapping actually can improve performance, i think because you're making different patterns and seeing how they're made, you will get a deeper understanding of what to press when you see them because you've mapped them before
midgy
it can help in the sense you can create the perfect practice files you need but otherwise it doesn't really, having a deep understanding of each pattern and why they feel a certain way doesn't really help that much in terms of playing it out

i think working on something after you play keeps you more engaged with the game so you probably would improve faster tho
Dementedjet
As said above, mapping could in some way help with your skill

So now its your choice if you wanna devote yourself into improving skill or learning mapping along the way

Although you could just search for maps with specific patterns and play them

So its either you spend some time on mapping and have it in your skillsets or spend it all on playing and improve a bit faster
Topic Starter
Gamesnake7
I mean mapping for a long time after having a session leaves my arms in a condition that they feel like they're crushed by a mallet, so not sure if I should keep on mapping to keep my arms intact
Dementedjet
There's this thing called taking a break. If you'll take a break right after your hands discontinued, over some time they'll adapt, so the most important and annoying thing about osu and improving is patience, a lot of it
Stomiks
I can see that with being exposed to more different and creative patterns but you still need to have enough skill to hit them. And what midgy said, self-made practice maps would really help for the specific patterns you're having a hard time on, just like what I did making practice mini-jacks back when I used to map.