forum

[Archived] Massive lag spikes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Edahel
Heya, I experience severe lag spikes and I don't understand why. I'm playing on a Surface Pro 8, so I'd assume it can run Osu easily since it ran well on my very old and poor quality computer. Also, for some reason, Osu seemed to work okay yesterday when I installed it, wasn't the best but the lag spikes were minor and happened about once or twice during a song. But today, it's lagging all the time and really impacting the experience at which point I'll have to quit playing if no solution is found. The worst is with sliders, they tend to make everything even worse. Before you ask, no, to my knowledge I don't have any program running that wasn't running yesterday, and yes, I checked the task manager to see if anything was eating the PC's ressources, but nothing is.

As it may be important, please note that I'm playing with my Surface's pen, using it as a tablet. I tried enabling the option about pc tablets, which seemed to have made it a little better at first, but then for some reason it went back to straight up unplayable. I also enabled the framerate count in the bottom right corner, the latency varies between 10ms when everything is fine to ridiculous amounts like serveral hundreds when it starts to lag, and the fps also drops from ~150 to 2 digits amounts.

Here is a video, I picked a slow song to show how impossible to play it is, even at low speed. You can see the latency counter getting crazy and the fps dropping as low as 17 (when my hand isn't covering it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ByXwJaJ_tU

So yeah if anyone has an idea on how to fix that, I'd love to know ;-; Thanks in advance !

osu! version: Stable 20230326 (latest)
Blushing
Try making sure all applications are closed, not sure if the surface pro works like an iPad but you can have stuff running the background that can cause unforeseen lag. Also make sure you are using a skin that isn't bloated with a bunch of animations, so... try using the default skin and see if that helps any, also you could check the wiki (wiki/en/Performance_troubleshooting) to see if that helps any.
BlueChinchompa
I would also recommend using something like windows 10 or windows 11 debloater. I've heard game mode (In windows settings) disabling that could help from what I have heard.
Topic Starter
Edahel
Thanks guys !

Well I'm already using the default skin, all applications are closed, and Windows' game mode is also something that I saw could maybe help, and even though it seemed to have helped on my first try (before I posted the original message), for some reason it went back to laggy after a few minutes of playing.

Also, I just played a little bit and... at first, everything was fine ! (I didn't change anything since yesterday, aside from the fact I shut my computer down for the night) I played a few songs with no issue aside from little lag spikes here and there, but like twice a song, maybe? Weak enough that it didn't prevent me from playing. But suddenly, near the end of a song, the massive lag came again D: and now it won't go away.

But this time, something else has happened : I got a little warning message in the bottom right corner of the screen, saying something along the lines of having an issue with audio I think ? Damn, I already forgot. But it said there was a problem regarding synchronization between audio and and clicks... I think. Sorry my memory is quite bad ><
Arvesh1234
try this out ->

Open settings > game mode > related settings > graphic settings > browse > add osu.exe

it worked for me to decrease lag

But if you have problems with sync in audio and clicks go to the osu main menu, click on options, and search for offset wizard. Also avoid using Bluetooth devices for osu or any rhythm game in general as it has a lot of audio/input latency
Topic Starter
Edahel

Arvesh1234 wrote:

Open settings > game mode > related settings > graphic settings > browse > add osu.exe

go to the osu main menu, click on options, and search for offset wizard.
Unfortunately I'm having issues following these instructions because my game is in french and I can't seem to find corresponding titles ;-; Is there a way for me to turn my game to english ?