forum

Red or Brown switches?

posted
Total Posts
show more
buny
could you stop putting words in my mouth?

I never said that playing better means improving skill level.
Like I said before, go ask WWW or cookiezi if they really did get such a boost from blue->red before you go spouting out all your rage text.

3 weeks time is a very large difference, and comparing scores of the 2 players is as valid of a point as how you're trying to make yours out, by saying that reds are superior whereas a red player is getting beaten by a blue.

For all we know rrtyui could have failed tutorial with reds, got blues and started to fc everything
Soarezi
niko said he can't fc mendes dt because he doesnt have reds.
white wolf & cookiezi played 4d after getting reds
reds masterrace
niko is the best though
RIP
sorgenehtyals

buny wrote:

could you stop putting words in my mouth?

I never said that playing better means improving skill level.
Like I said before, go ask WWW or cookiezi if they really did get such a boost from blue->red before you go spouting out all your rage text.

3 weeks time is a very large difference, and comparing scores of the 2 players is as valid of a point as how you're trying to make yours out, by saying that reds are superior whereas a red player is getting beaten by a blue.

For all we know rrtyui could have failed tutorial with reds, got blues and started to fc everything
I don't understand what you said here but i'll try to explain where you did wrong last time. The problem with what you said is that you compared rrtyui with www, which is senseless. We know that their skill is not equal. As I said two times before, you can become better with enough practice regardless of switches. So why would comparing rrtyui with www show anything ? However, if you pick one of them and compare their performance with blue switches vs performance with red switches, then you can get meaningful results. WWW proved it last night by getting a #1 on Freedom dive and getting that crazy combo+accuracy in one play. Few days ago he could barely pass freedom dive let alone get anywhere near to the combo he got yesterday. What does this show, you ask ? it shows www can express his skill better with reds than with blues. Same train of thought if you look at cookiezi. Why do I have to ask them when their performance already speaks for itself ?

Now do you get it ?
LuckyStrike_old_1
WWW said reds are the stamina hack.

he was going on ss up to 1400 combo with reds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOu_2z0POg) - he never was that good on blues.
nuff said.
Nashmun
It's been 4 months since I started using red switches, and I was better with my laptop's scissor switches. Am I an alien ? Can I use my experience as an argument from authority to invalidate every other point of view like you guys are doing ?
TakuMii
All of the points you've been making are completely irrelevant to the original topic in question. OP asked for Reds vs Browns, not Reds vs Blues. As far as I know, none of the pros you've mentioned use Browns (except for WWW, but that's beside the point).

And if all you're going to do is use pro players as examples for your argument, I'll do the same:
Meet Staiain. He's considered one of, if not the best StepMania and osu!mania 4K player in the world, although he does play a bit of standard mode on the side (not quite pro level though). He uses Browns.
Here's a video of him FCing an unranked endless-stream version of Freedom Dive on osu!.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyNfc4cA7Y (you can find more impressive SM plays on his channel)
I'll just throw this quote in here too: "The thing with brown is, you can feel when the key registers, so you can play fast stuff without bottoming out the buttons while still having control. this is harder with red and black." (control is more important in SM though, since there's 4 individual note keys and the timing windows work differently)
He also said it himself that he plays faster with Browns than with Reds, although comparing the two are pretty much personal preference (due to them being identical aside from the bump).
Soulg

LuckyStrike wrote:

WWW said reds are the stamina hack.

he was going on ss up to 1400 combo with reds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOu_2z0POg) - he never was that good on blues.
nuff said.
i went to reds from blues and still can't stream for shit

help me cookiezi-wang you're my only hope
pooptartsonas

buny wrote:

Also pooptartsonas, yes there are difference in switches but that doesn't mean that one switch is always going to be better than the others
I never said that. I just said that instead of saying it's "preference", you should explain WHY it's preference or what might cause the differences in preference.

I think YayMii's example explains it pretty well. In theory, if one were to fully adapt to red or black switches (that is, learning not to bottom out while still understanding exactly when the key is pressing), then they would be superior. But the tactile feedback in browns and blues can be invaluable to assist one in, as Staiain says, bottoming out while still having control. THAT'S why it will depend on the person.
Wishy
Reds are the best because of technical reasons, there is nothing to argue here. If you get used to them then they are the best, if not practice until you get used to them.

By the way, Cookiezi got an AMAZING stamina improvement after switching to reds, iirc so did Metro, and lol when I tried reds I could play Deathstream Compilation like it was nothing for an hour, couldn't do that with blues. Nobody cares about some random player being bad with reds, they won't make you good by themselves, they will help on stamina, therefore on speed too, but if you are a bad player you will stay there no matter what you use.
Soulg
learning to not bottom out is hard

why is this game so hardddd
Dexus

Wishy wrote:

if you are a bad player you will stay there no matter what you use.
The shit you say. Elitist please go.

Soulg wrote:

learning to not bottom out is hard

why is this game so hardddd
Browns + o-rings = op for learning to not bottom out.

All switches are good in their own respects really. Blues give that click which some players use to help reinforce their timing. Blacks due to their weight can help you hit slower to hit more consistently. Browns have a smooth bump which can be felt to not bottom out and conserve energy and go faster. Reds just don't have anything to prevent your fingers from doing what they do so a lot of people enjoy them because of this freedom. Of course nothing is going to make you better, but stuff that isn't comfortable for you to play with can really hold you back. Reds aren't the best switch because everyone plays differently. Everything has their strength and weaknesses. With blues that click can irritate some people, with blacks the switches can be too heavy and nerf your stamina a lot, browns can feel a bit sticky on the inputs at times. Reds can feel like it's giving no feedback so it's really difficult to control what your fingers are doing plus you can waste a lot of energy due to bottoming out since there's nothing to stop you.
WolfCoder
Or have them Viking Hands
sorgenehtyals

YayMii wrote:

All of the points you've been making are completely irrelevant to the original topic in question. OP asked for Reds vs Browns, not Reds vs Blues. As far as I know, none of the pros you've mentioned use Browns (except for WWW, but that's beside the point).

And if all you're going to do is use pro players as examples for your argument, I'll do the same:
Meet Staiain. He's considered one of, if not the best StepMania and osu!mania 4K player in the world, although he does play a bit of standard mode on the side (not quite pro level though). He uses Browns.
Here's a video of him FCing an unranked endless-stream version of Freedom Dive on osu!.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyNfc4cA7Y (you can find more impressive SM plays on his channel)
I'll just throw this quote in here too: "The thing with brown is, you can feel when the key registers, so you can play fast stuff without bottoming out the buttons while still having control. this is harder with red and black." (control is more important in SM though, since there's 4 individual note keys and the timing windows work differently)
He also said it himself that he plays faster with Browns than with Reds, although comparing the two are pretty much personal preference (due to them being identical aside from the bump).
Are you even trying? Due to the lack of information in your post I'm going to make a plausible assumption: this fucker uses a special technique that takes advantage of browns and their thing with feeling the keys register. Switching to reds will naturally throw him of for a bit so he'll have to make some effort to adopt in order to get the full potential of reds. If my assumption is correc then his half-assed attempt at "trying reds" doesn't show jackshit.

Stop being a pussy and accept that you are terrible. The world doesn't revolve around you and isn't forced to suck on your dick 24/7.

All switches are good in their own respects really. Blues give that click which some players use to help reinforce their timing. Blacks due to their weight can help you hit slower to hit more consistently. Browns have a smooth bump which can be felt to not bottom out and conserve energy and go faster. Reds just don't have anything to prevent your fingers from doing what they do so a lot of people enjoy them because of this freedom. Of course nothing is going to make you better, but stuff that isn't comfortable for you to play with can really hold you back. Reds aren't the best switch because everyone plays differently. Everything has their strength and weaknesses. With blues that click can irritate some people, with blacks the switches can be too heavy and nerf your stamina a lot, browns can feel a bit sticky on the inputs at times. Reds can feel like it's giving no feedback so it's really difficult to control what your fingers are doing plus you can waste a lot of energy due to bottoming out since there's nothing to stop you.
No, they aren't. reds are best, read previous posts before posting.

wishy said everything there is to be said, why is it so hard to understand? ??
+1 to him
[FX] AEM

YayMii wrote:

i think sm players are best with blues. (only few people use red.) personally i prefer red sw.
freedomdive only 220bpm. << i must say this is easy for him.
TakuMii

StormR1d3r wrote:

Are you even trying? Due to the lack of information in your post I'm going to make a plausible assumption: this fucker uses a special technique that takes advantage of browns and their thing with feeling the keys register. Switching to reds will naturally throw him of for a bit so he'll have to make some effort to adopt in order to get the full potential of reds. If my assumption is correc then his half-assed attempt at "trying reds" doesn't show jackshit.
Look through his YouTube videos. He did use a Corsair Vengeance K95 (Red) exclusively for several months, and you can see that he made several videos while using them, before reaffirming his preference for his Qpad MK-50 (Brown). I would hardly consider that much time as a "half-assed attempt".
And if you have the patience to look through his ask.fm (which'll confirm all of my info), he states that there are benefits from using Reds, so it's not like he's discrediting them for the sake of discrediting them. He simply prefers Browns.
I really don't see the point in continuing to argue whether or not Reds are better than Browns. Reds and Browns are practically identical aside from one minor detail that has little to no effect on stamina.
and I really don't get why you're so angry, we're only discussing keyboards

[FX] AEM wrote:

i think sm players are best with blues. (only few people use red.) personally i prefer red sw.
Yeah, Freedom Dive is actually quite slow compared to a lot of stuff you can find on SM (which can reach somewhere around 260-270bpm IIRC).
And a lot of SM players recommend Blues simply because the tactile feedback helps a lot with training accuracy and control. They're stiffer switches though, so it's more straining on your stamina (and therefore not as good for faster stuff).
sorgenehtyals
Reds are far more conveniant in terms of stamina due to them being lighter than browns. It seems the only reason he is slower while using reds is because he hasn't adjusted his technique. Using reds for months in no way implies he has made the proper effort to overcome this problem. Your conjecture has done nothing to contradict my thesis.
Stregan

iSpR1Te wrote:

Reds because they are linear and the lightest. Most people will agree that linear switches are best for osu!, but at the end of the day it's preference.
Yep get reds
Soulg
222.2*

also 4d is mainly the fact that the streams are so spaced in addition to the amazing length and amount of streams, he proved he could do it with the vid but he wouldnt be able to keep up with the spacing just because he doesnt play standard much

Stop being a pussy and accept that you are terrible.
TakuMii

StormR1d3r wrote:

Reds are far more conveniant in terms of stamina due to them being lighter than browns. It seems the only reason he is slower while using reds is because he hasn't adjusted his technique. Using reds for months in no way implies he has made the proper effort to overcome this problem. Your conjecture has done nothing to contradict my thesis.
He's slower with Reds because he's playing a different rhythm game. As I said, Browns provide more control, which is much more important in StepMania than raw stamina. He's not mashing on 2 buttons that do the same thing, so having keys that have no feedback at the actuation point or that are easy to accidentally press (which is one downside to Reds) would only have a negative effect on his play. He already has stamina that is comparable, if not better than, rrtyui's (who still uses Blues and still has #1 ranks on maps like the Stream Compilation), I don't see why he should be forced to completely relearn how to play just to somehow prove your point.
I'm not denying that Reds can provide the most stamina. Just keep in mind that stamina, while it does help, isn't everything. The stamina benefits from Reds don't mean a thing if you already have more than enough stamina to get through the fastest, most tiring maps in the game without getting fatigued. And again, the difference between Browns and Reds is not distinct enough to truly make a difference.
Soulg
The stamina benefits from Reds don't mean a thing if you already have more than enough stamina to get through the fastest, most tiring maps in the game without getting fatigued.
this.

if i eventually get to that point id probably go back to blues or maybe try browns out, i just needed a stamina boost to play longer/faster stuff for my morale so i switched to reds
sorgenehtyals
2 Soulg,
What does showing my rank in a terrible system could possibly imply ? Although I doubt it is anything thoughtful or interesting could you explain anyway ?

2 YayMii,
Two words: that's irrelevant. We are talking about osu, not stepmania.
Either try again or reword what you said.
Coffee Hero

StormR1d3r wrote:

Two words: that's irrelevant. We are talking about osu, not stepmania.
Either try again or reword what you said.
You could not sound more conceited.

Neither switch will inhibit your ability's as you can be extremely good with both. If you don't have the opportunity to try out reds and browns for yourself I would suggest getting reds, either way you should see an improvement in stamina.
Soulg
What does showing my rank in a terrible system could possibly imply ? Although I doubt it is anything thoughtful or interesting could you explain anyway ?
you must be mistaken as to the accuracy of tp

if i had shown your pp rank then what you said would be valid, but tp is only 'terrible' for people that can't get top 50 ranks. *cough*
TakuMii
They're both rhythm games, and they require just about the same amount of stamina. Just because SM requires more precision, doesn't make it any less relevant. Stamina is stamina, regardless of game. It'd only be irrelevant if we were talking about a facet of one game that the other one doesn't have, such as cursor aim.
sorgenehtyals
2 soulg,
I can get half-assed top50 scores on newly ranked maps and make my tp rank a lot higher. That's an obvious sign of a terrible system.
And you still haven't said what this implies. Quit wasting time.

2yaymii,
ok then
"browns provide more control"
what does "more control" mean in osu?
You said its important in stepmania than stamina but you didn't say if the same is with osu, whatever "control" is.
I can't think of anything more helpful than a speed/stamina boost for your left hand, which reds are better for than browns.

"I don't see why he should be forced to completely relearn how to play.."
he needs a bit of time to adjust his technique while using reds if he wants to gain more speed/stamina. Shouldn't take long at all.

"I'm not denying that Reds can provide the most stamina."
then why can't you accept that reds > browns for osu ?

"The stamina benefits from Reds don't mean a thing if you already have more than enough stamina to get through the fastest, most tiring maps in the game without getting fatigued."
Ah, more bullshit. Which are the fastest, most tiring maps in osu? Speed and stamina play a major role in osu which reds are better for than browns. That's all that matters.
Soulg
I can get half-assed top50 scores on newly ranked maps and make my tp rank a lot higher. That's an obvious sign of a terrible system.
And you still haven't said what this implies. Quit wasting time.
lol and get almost no tp because they are easy

and it implies nothing this is a stupid conversation and you made a hilariously useless claim with nothing to back it up so i felt like being a dick

keyboard switches are preference, some people will do better with browns than reds. humans are different, fact.

in a perfect world where everybody is the exact same then sure reds will win, but we dont have that now do we. and just for the record i do agree with your OPINION that reds are best for streaming
TakuMii

StormR1d3r wrote:

"browns provide more control"
what does "more control" mean in osu?
You said its important in stepmania than stamina but you didn't say if the same is with osu, whatever "control" is.
I can't think of anything more helpful than a speed/stamina boost for your left hand, which reds are better for than browns.
There's more to skill than pressing keys as fast as possible for as long as possible. Control is still needed for osu!, just not to the same extent as Stepmania since you're dealing with two keys that do the same thing. It still helps for things like HardRock, or maps that have unusual rhythm patterns, or simply just going for SSes. Basically, it just benefits overall consistency. Not saying you can't be consistent with Reds though, as proven by players like thelewa.

StormR1d3r wrote:

"I don't see why he should be forced to completely relearn how to play.."
he needs a bit of time to adjust his technique while using reds if he wants to gain more speed/stamina. Shouldn't take long at all.
I don't know how he could adjust his technique for more stamina/speed when he's already capable of playing the most straining songs in the game with Reds.

And FYI, stamina is not the same as speed. Stamina determines how long you can stream before getting tired, while speed is simply how fast you can stream.
Blacks (while unrelated to this Reds vs Browns comparison) theoretically allow you to stream faster due to the higher elastic potential energy it provides, allowing you to lift your fingers faster. The only reason why that this is only a theoretical benefit is because they require more force to push down, and no energy system is perfectly efficient. More energy used results in more energy wasted, demonstrating why stiffer switches are more tiring to use in real world practice.

StormR1d3r wrote:

"I'm not denying that Reds can provide the most stamina."
then why can't you accept that reds > browns for osu ?
Because there is no definitive proof proving that they are. Most of the top-tier players haven't even used Browns. Not because they aren't as good, but because they aren't as common.

StormR1d3r wrote:

"The stamina benefits from Reds don't mean a thing if you already have more than enough stamina to get through the fastest, most tiring maps in the game without getting fatigued."
Ah, more bullshit. Which are the fastest, most tiring maps in osu? Speed and stamina play a major role in osu which reds are better for than browns. That's all that matters.
Aside from the DoubleTime scores that rrtyui (and very few others) have achieved, there's really nothing that compares to what you can find on StepMania (I'm talking 1hr-2hr long marathon maps with endless streams). The osu! Stream Compilation would probably be one of the only ranked examples that really tests a player's stamina, simply because of how long it is. Other than that, there's the obvious Big Black and Freedom Dive, but those are also demanding on cursor aim, so the scores on there don't purely reflect stamina. There are much more strenuous unranked maps, but a lot of those (like Slotcore is Dead) also require aiming skills, so it isn't fair to use them as examples.

And to be completely honest, you really haven't been making any points other than supposedly calling out my "bullshit" and claiming that they're better because of WubWoofWolf and Cookiezi. At least try to defend your position before making accusations.
sorgenehtyals
2 YayMii

"And to be completely honest, you really haven't been making any points other than supposedly calling out my "bullshit" and claiming that they're better because of WubWoofWolf and Cookiezi. At least try to defend your position before making accusations."
I am, by showing how silly your arguments are.

"There's more to skill than pressing keys as fast as possible for as long as possible. Control is still needed for osu!, just not to the same extent as Stepmania since you're dealing with two keys that do the same thing. It still helps for things like HardRock, or maps that have unusual rhythm patterns, or simply just going for SSes. Basically, it just benefits overall consistency. Not saying you can't be consistent with Reds though, as proven by players like thelewa."
So control=consistency? Consistency in what ? Accuracy? that's all in the persons head. Unusual rhythm patters ? that's again all in the persons head.
SSes ? Same thing, nothing reds or browns help with. Unless you meant something different, and if so, then explain.

"I don't know how he could adjust his technique for more stamina/speed when he's already capable of playing the most straining songs in the game with Reds."
Then why are you using a guy who never bothered to utilize the full potential of reds in order to somehow prove your point that its "all preference" ?
How does this show any meaningful information ?

"Aside from the DoubleTime scores that rrtyui (and very few others) have achieved, there's really nothing that compares to what you can find on StepMania (I'm talking 1hr-2hr long marathon maps with endless streams). The osu! Stream Compilation would probably be one of the only ranked examples that really tests a player's stamina, simply because of how long it is. Other than that, there's the obvious Big Black and Freedom Dive, but those are also demanding on cursor aim, so the scores on there don't purely reflect stamina."
Big black isn't harsh on stamina and SC has tons of breaks so don't count them in. Nobody aside cookiezi has FCed FD so that shows how harsh this map is stamina-wise. Stamina and speed play a major role in this game and reds benefit them more than browns due to reds being lighter. Unless you point out something that browns help with which is also a major part in this game then you can't prove anything.

Because there is no definitive proof proving that they are. Most of the top-tier players haven't even used Browns. Not because they aren't as good, but because they aren't as common.
Reds are lighter than browns which help with stamina, a major aspect of osu. That's your proof and that's all that matters.

And FYI, stamina is not the same as speed.
speed comes from stamina tho
Soulg
"lol no youre wrong, heres why i think so based on anecdotal evidence with no actual facts to back it up"
sorgenehtyals

Soulg wrote:

"lol no youre wrong, heres why i think so based on anecdotal evidence with no actual facts to back it up"

This is not based on experience at all. I have never used a mech keyboard at all and I can still talk about it. Here:

A best switch is one that drains the least amount of stamina.
The lightest switch drains the least amount of stamina.
Reds are the lightest switches.

Conclusion: Reds are the best switches.

If you can't make this conclusion on your own then you are retarded.
Wishy

Dexus wrote:

Wishy wrote:

if you are a bad player you will stay there no matter what you use.
Like it or not that's true, you are not going to be good just because you change your keyboard or your mouse/tablet, or you think you actually will magically become good because you got red switches instead of blacks?

Also, again, there is no discussion here, I'll drop an example which takes to the extreme what you guys are discussing here:

"What should I eat, junk food or healthy real food?"

"Well the best you can do is eat healthy real food yet if you prefer eating junk food then it's up to you, it's gonna be easier to stay healthy if you eat actual food tho, yet you are gonna be able to be healthy anyways by eating on McDonalds."

See the point? Exact same discussion. You can prefer whatever you want, damn if you want you can play with a fighting stick buttons and probably be a top player, yet technically reds are the best, the rest is about preference which is completely subjective and up to each player, now if the question is "what are the best switches" then the answer is red. Even if you prefer blues, browns or a rubber-dome, the best thing you can do is to get used to reds, or do you think Cookiezi got used to them in two minutes? It probably took some time but it clearly paid off.
Soarezi
what the fark is going on lmfao
Horo
this thread amuses me deeply
TakuMii

StormR1d3r wrote:

"There's more to skill than pressing keys as fast as possible for as long as possible. Control is still needed for osu!, just not to the same extent as Stepmania since you're dealing with two keys that do the same thing. It still helps for things like HardRock, or maps that have unusual rhythm patterns, or simply just going for SSes. Basically, it just benefits overall consistency. Not saying you can't be consistent with Reds though, as proven by players like thelewa."
So control=consistency? Consistency in what ? Accuracy? that's all in the persons head. Unusual rhythm patters ? that's again all in the persons head.
SSes ? Same thing, nothing reds or browns help with. Unless you meant something different, and if so, then explain.
If you can't agree that having an additional sense to determine when your button press is being recognized in the game won't help your accuracy, then there's no point even saying anything more. There's a reason that SM players often recommend Blues for beginners despite them being terrible for stamina (mainly because accuracy is hands-down more important at lower levels than stamina is).
Stamina will only ever be the most important if you've already developed a sense of control. There's no point being able to stream forever if you can't stream consistently.

StormR1d3r wrote:

"I don't know how he could adjust his technique for more stamina/speed when he's already capable of playing the most straining songs in the game with Reds."
Then why are you using a guy who never bothered to utilize the full potential of reds in order to somehow prove your point that its "all preference" ?
How does this show any meaningful information ?
I didn't say "why", I said "how". If he can already use both switches for maps that are the most demanding on stamina, there's not really any way he can adjust any further.

StormR1d3r wrote:

Big black isn't harsh on stamina and SC has tons of breaks so don't count them in. Nobody aside cookiezi has FCed FD so that shows how harsh this map is stamina-wise. Stamina and speed play a major role in this game and reds benefit them more than browns due to reds being lighter. Unless you point out something that browns help with which is also a major part in this game then you can't prove anything.
Maybe Big Black was a bad example. But I've already made my point about Browns above. Also, Freedom Dive isn't that fair of an example either (as I've already mentioned), as it is entirely just spaced streams, which also require good aim.
You'd be hard-pressed to find an example that requires good stamina without requiring good aim. osu! isn't a game where stamina = skill.

StormR1d3r wrote:

And FYI, stamina is not the same as speed.
speed comes from stamina tho
Mad Machine is a good example here. This is a very short 270BPM map. This requires speed, but doesn't require stamina. They're not the same thing.

I'm done here. There's really no point in furthering a discussion with a person that thinks his opinion is fact and that namecalling is a valid argument.
WolfCoder

Soarezi wrote:

what the fark is going on lmfao
Keyboards 4 lyfe
Soulg
"What should I eat, junk food or healthy real food?"

"Well the best you can do is eat healthy real food yet if you prefer eating junk food then it's up to you, it's gonna be easier to stay healthy if you eat actual food tho, yet you are gonna be able to be healthy anyways by eating on McDonalds."
actually a perfect analogy, well done
pooptartsonas

StormR1d3r wrote:

Exactly, it is in the person's head. If you were to PERFECTLY adapt to reds where you have flawless accuracy with them because you perfectly understand the actuation point, then cool. That's impossible though, and some people will have more trouble than others adapting. Those people that have trouble adapting may use browns better, even in the long run.
Synchrostar
/me cherishing black switch keyboard

what is this are ppl fighting over keyboard switches?
Hula
I use blacks, can I join?
Synchrostar

Hula wrote:

I use blacks, can I join?
black switch masterrace
show more