forum

Silent Slider Ends & Bad Flow

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xelasto
I understand to silence a slider you can either set the volume to 5%. However, is it okay (rankable) to use a custom hitsound that is completely silent on the slider end? Just making sure.

Completely unrelated question to more experienced mappers: Do you ever use bad flow intentionally? If so, when? I tend to see most mappers map comfortable 99% of the time, with maybe one part not flowing well for emphasis.
gummibar
for the former point, yes! completely rankable. but, rather than using a custom hitsound, you are required to use this very small, very silent .wav file. the relevant criteria is found here, or you can download it directly from this link.
[[[[[[
for the later question: yes! somes use intentionally uncomfortable flow to emphasize stuffs, others use it as part of the map's style

tho i wouldn't call it "bad flow" cuz the flows are good in the map's context
Topic Starter
Xelasto
For the first point: What exactly allows silent hitsounds? Or rather, is there something on the wiki that confirms that completely silent slider ends are rankable?
lewski
wiki/en/Ranking_Criteria#audio

Ranking Criteria > Audio > Rules wrote:

1. All clicked parts of objects must have at least one hitsound...
The ends of sliders and spinners aren't clicked, so they don't need to have hitsounds, i.e. silencing them completely is fine.

As for the question about uncomfortable movement, yeah, I do that sometimes. Deliberately awkward maps are fairly niche, but there's definitely an audience for them, especially in the tournament scene.

fwiw I also think the general perception of what is and isn't comfortable has gotten pretty extreme but I cba to get into it
gummibar
first point again. as it turns out, i have to amend my original answer a bit. silent hitsounds are allowed provided that they aren't clickable (source here) and represent the end of a held sound, not aligning with any distinct sound (general rule here) & (exception here. this link is probably what you're looking for).

sorry for any misinformation, glad i was able to correct it.
Topic Starter
Xelasto
Awesome! Thank you guys! :)