forum

How to bypass max file size limit

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YourMumsVisa
I'm mapping The Sun The Moon The Star and with the audio and bg alone, it wont let me upload the map.
I've already downgraded the quality of the audio and had to re time shit so I'm not doing that again (aswell as not wanting the mp3 to sound like shit) but I'm going to downsize the resolution of the bg for now, but I'm concerned about the hitsounds.
lewski
wiki/en/Beatmapping/Beatmap_submission#limitations

Submission Limit wrote:

Beatmaps will fail to submit if they exceed the online file size or difficulty limit. The file size limit is 5MB plus an additional 10MB for every minute of beatmap length, and it caps at 100MB.
"Beatmap length" actually just takes the timestamp of the last object in the map, so if you make another difficulty with a circle at the end of the song, the game will let you upload the set. You won't have any issues with the background or hitsounds, either.

Also, consider using OGG Vorbis for audio. At quality 5, it'll sound better than a 160kbps mp3 while usually taking up less space. It's also a no-brainer for hitsounds since it takes up a lot less space than WAV (and the small objective drop in quality isn't noticeable in a hitsound). For example, look at my hitsound files on this set: soft-hitclap2.wav is only 50ms long, but it takes up 98kb of disk space. Meanwhile, all of the finishes are several times longer (from 6x to over 20x), but even the longest ones only take up 30kb thanks to Vorbis.
Topic Starter
YourMumsVisa

lewski wrote:

wiki/en/Beatmapping/Beatmap_submission#limitations

Submission Limit wrote:

Beatmaps will fail to submit if they exceed the online file size or difficulty limit. The file size limit is 5MB plus an additional 10MB for every minute of beatmap length, and it caps at 100MB.
"Beatmap length" actually just takes the timestamp of the last object in the map, so if you make another difficulty with a circle at the end of the song, the game will let you upload the set. You won't have any issues with the background or hitsounds, either.

Also, consider using OGG Vorbis for audio. At quality 5, it'll sound better than a 160kbps mp3 while usually taking up less space. It's also a no-brainer for hitsounds since it takes up a lot less space than WAV (and the small objective drop in quality isn't noticeable in a hitsound). For example, look at my hitsound files on this set: soft-hitclap2.wav is only 50ms long, but it takes up 98kb of disk space. Meanwhile, all of the finishes are several times longer (from 6x to over 20x), but even the longest ones only take up 30kb thanks to Vorbis.
Ohh shit I had no idea. That explains some long ass marathon maps doing the same thing.
I don't know if I'm bothered to convert all of my hitsounds to OGG since I use a fuck ton of hitsounds, but I might consider it.
Thanks a lot! :)
Ryu Sei
Bypassing file limit is discouraged unless you want to upload unranked maps such as compilation stuffs. In that case, you can make a single difficulty with 10 minute duration (yes, put the note at the 10m mark) and it will give you more than enough size to upload map compilations.