forum

7K Osu!mania time travel

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
15C
If you could go back to when you first started playing 7k, what would be some tips that you would give yourself? also, what are some things you shouldn't do when playing 7k. How long did it take you to get to where you are? I want to hear your story.
Stickman92
Don't spam everything because hard maps feel good. Averaging 85% on the maps you play is sh*t acc. The occasional 75% on a 6* song, 70% on a 8* song is also sh*t acc.

It's quite similar to ego-lifting. It feels good in the short-term, but it'll harm long-term progress. That desire to perform well and improve is good, use it correctly and it'll help you improve. Just don't waste it on spamming hard songs, then wonder why you hit a wall.

When I kept my ego aside and focused on consistent practice, I saw visible progress. I see progress, the ego gets back in my head and I start spamming again.

Moral of the Story:
Don't Be a spammer. Consistent practice with good enough accuracy (above 90%) over a long period of time will result in improvement.
Topic Starter
15C
How long do you spend a on star level? e.g, 2 weeks doing 3 stars until you could move on to 4 stars
Stickman92

luminar wrote:

How long do you spend a on star level? e.g, 2 weeks doing 3 stars until you could move on to 4 stars
Not a clue, I don't pay attention to it.

Just learning to play 10k. Doing 1.2*-2* maps atm. Probably 1-3 months before I start to do 1.7*-2.5* songs. I play casually, no dedicated practice or anything like that anymore.

The challenging songs, about 1.7*-2* are great for exposing me to new patterns and an overall good stimulus for improvement. The normal & easy songs, about 1.2-1.7* are great for me to solidify my base of skill, dial in my technique and do some deliberate practice. Deliberate practice is generally just me learning to control my movements better, so its less jerky and more smooth.
Hoshimegu Mio
Practice brackets and release before it’s too late!
UltraBlack
I would not change anything, recently i started to improve really fast and 7k keeps getting better and better. If there were one tip i could give it would be to grind maps but not too much, playing like 3 maps 2 times but alternatively, then playing another 3 maps and playing only one hour per week day (more on weekends). Also, DO NOT force your speed, thats for everything, since i started to leave my mind do what it have to do without paying too much focus to the game and doing it myself i got way better results than forcing myself to hit harder things for short periods of time. Kinda confusing but i don't speak english sorry
shp
Topic Starter
15C

shp wrote:

luminar wrote:

If you could go back to when you first started playing 7k, what would be some tips that you would give yourself?
i'm a very slow improver so take what i say with a grain of salt.

never play for full combo.
get good sleep.
press lighter, never tense your hands.
avoid getting angry.
find good practice charts for warmup and pushing.
don't get discouraged if you are playing bad.
avoid playing charts many times in a row if they have mindblockable patterns.
use an inverse converting tool and a rate tool.
stop using blue switches, use something lighter.
play satellite and stella bms converts, avoid insane and overjoy unless it's a good chart.
use random mod for bms converts.
use percy skin and use a large value for tiling to avoid texture wrapping around.
don't get stuck playing the same charts too long, look for new stuff occasionally.
don't play for pp or dan clears frequently.
ask top players for advice.

play often, but don't always push for density and speed. have sessions where you just chill and focus on getting high accuracy. make sure to have sessions where you are A ranking though, and maybe even B if it feels productive, really pushing your reading and finger control. don't overdo it. if you destroy your hands too much you will need to take some time off.

make sure to properly warm up if you feel like you need it. this is especially important when you haven't played for a while. try focusing on warming up and pushing specific skillsets, ex: chordjacks, chordstreams, delay, brackets. start off with easy charts, preferably low bpm, and work your way up.

try to lock your gaze as much as possible. the exception is if there's an SV change, then you will want to move them vertically. high SV -> look up. low SV -> look down. avoid reading patterns vertically, try to process every pattern horizontally.

for LN you need to focus on multiple aspects of it, such as inverse, switch, and release. find charts similar to avril 14th (loved chart), it's a hard skillset to find charts for. use an inverse converter to learn inverse. most LN patterns you can learn by playing whatever. flexo charts are a good way to start. keep in mind if a chart is OD0, that can make it much easier.

do what works for you. don't copy other players if it doesn't end up helping. listening to advice is good but ultimately you need to experiment and figure out what works for you because everyone is different.

use a lane cover if you have 60hz monitor. the point of this is to make your playfield smaller. this lets you use lower scroll speeds. high scroll speed looks choppy on 60hz.

make sure you are happy and having fun while playing. this is hard to force but if you are having a terrible time you likely aren't going to make much progress. i think it's mostly about not being too hard on yourself when playing badly. playing songs you enjoy is good as well. your life outside of the game can impact your mood during gameplay as well.

luminar wrote:

How long did it take you to get to where you are? I want to hear your story.
waaaaaaaay too long. i started around 2017. i've seen people surpass my peak skill within one year of playing lol. i have taken many breaks (some lasting as long as a year) but i'm also just a slow improver. i also started with lunatic rave 2, not osumania.
can you send the link to percy skin? also, what is a lane cover and how do i use it (im playing on 60hz)
shp
Topic Starter
15C

shp wrote:

luminar wrote:

can you send the link to percy skin? also, what is a lane cover and how do i use it (im playing on 60hz)
percy skin is a LN edit, there's a tutorial on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51N0zj-FKSk

lane cover i shouldn't have mentioned. i should probably delete my post because most of it is bad advice. high scroll speed isn't really that choppy on 60hz it's just a preference of mine to use lower and lane cover makes lower usable.
na don't delete it its valuable and encourages some people that might read this