forum

How many languages can you speak?

posted
Total Posts

how many how many

1 - Average American
23.33%
2 - I speak English alongside my native tongue (Average Netizen)
43.33%
3 - Hey, I should learn 日本語 so I can understand what my waifu is saying!
23.33%
4 - Average European
10.00%
5 - Average Indian
0.00%
6 - Being a polyglot is cool af
0.00%
7 - Let's learn Latin cuz why not?
0.00%
8 - Average CIA/MI6/GRU agent (?)
0.00%
9 - Average Asian parents' expectation
0.00%
10 or more - who tf are you
0.00%
Total votes: 30
Topic Starter
Jangsoodlor
By speak I mean you can hold a convo with another person in that particular language. Your grammar may not be perfect but at the end of the day both of you understand each other.

For me, I can speak 2. Thai (obviously) and English (also obviously). I can understand some (very few) Mandarin Chinese because it was taught when I was in middle school. But I go L + Ratio + One night miracle + why hanzi when pinyin exists + I have other gazillion subjects to focus + Forget everything after the test + J3K + don't care. (Which I kinda regret)

And no, programming languages don't count.
Stomiks
I wanna say 3 but I don't think I can even hold a conversation with a japanese person before I abruptly excuse myself
YyottaCat
Does Cantonese count?
WitherMite
only english

if I were to pick a second language to learn it'd probably be spanish, most useful where I live tbh. but I have too many other things I'd rather be spending my time on, two of which - music and endurance sports - are extremely time consuming.

I know random spanish stuff from dora, the quarter semester of spanish I had to take in 6th grade, and from just living in the southern midwest US. Then there's the meme japanese stuff you pick up on from anime. I can also pick out some words in germanic and romantic languages just from being native english.
Topic Starter
Jangsoodlor

YyottaCat wrote:

Does Cantonese count?
yes
Kobold84
At least one.
[ Sebastian ]
I know three languages. English, Lucario, and swear words.
Karmine

Jangsoodlor wrote:

And no, programming languages don't count.
13 year old nerds who think they're special for writing a python script once are devastated by this statement (They use Arch Linux btw)
Yes I hate skids

I don't know where you found your average european but I'm pretty sure most speak only 1 or 2
I used to have a decent level of German but haven't used it since high school (I'm old af) and forgot everything
Kinda sucks considering I live next to Germany and might work there in the future lol
Aireunaeus
I speak about 2–4 languages which are German (ofc), Swiss German, English and French (a bit). I also plan to speak Japanese. ooh, and I also speak a secret mother's tongue, which I won't say lol. (I can't speak that language really well btw)
I AM VERY SMART
English and Omori are my only languages
B0ii
Ok I know a little bit of spanish, but it's really fucking broken
Suzuya Rei
I know Persian, my mother tongue, and English (To a decent extent I'd say, since I'm majoring in that.)
Those aside, I studied Arabic in high-school, and can understand it to some extent, however, I don't think I'd be able to hold a convo in Arabic. Where I consider my skills to be the strongest is when it comes to translating, since that's what mostly mattered in high-school, and what I eventually had to study thoroughly for my entrance exam.
I picked up a bit of Swedish when I was in my early-teens, mostly from playing online games with a bunch of friends, but I haven't used any of that in years, and I mostly forgot all of it.
I've been also trying to learn Japanese for the past 2 years, but I always end up feeling discouraged after having to face anything further than the "elementary" level. It gets quite difficult fairly quickly.
McEndu
Unfortunately the true average Asian parents would only try to let their kids excel at what is thrown at them.

Which means only Chinese and English in China.

Got to admit though that the stereotype is quite funny.
nominomu
i really wish i could say more than one, but i've forgotten all my chinese and can only vaguely understand (and not actively speak), and i'm learning japanese but i barely know anything bc im new
Nuuskamuikkunen
2 where I am good at. (English and Spanish)
3 where I still need practice but sort of know. (French, Japanese and Portuguese)
BlueChinchompa
My entire family is from either Croatia, Serbian, or Bosnia Herzegovina
My parents moved to America and I was born there so English is my native language, but im still trying to learn Bosnian so I can talk to my family and parents easier.

My parents never taught me english I most likely learnt it from watching Tv or some sort of media.
Reyalp51
Spanish and en because i have europe buff
MaxIsABigKaiju
1 lol
Trying to learn German rn bc of heritage and whatnot
lostsilver
english only
Indomi-chan
english and my native language
kaedori
English (native), french (conversational) and cantonese (technically not conversational, but i can communicate basic ideas using Cantonese 90% of the time)

i put 2 languages but you could consider it three if you want
Rezq Gokou
Indonesian, Malay, Sundanese, Javanese, a bit of Japanese, Arabic, English (+some accents)
kaedori
average South Asian