forum

I Feel Like I've Gotten Worse for Seemingly No Reason:

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
vrrrmin
Title basically. I used to be able to consistently get S ranks on 3.4-3.7* maps and now I'm struggling to get S ranks on some 3.1* maps. I feel like I've tried basically everything at this point; changing my skin, changing my scroll speed, playing with SFX on (I usually play with them off), changing my keybinds, changing my hand position, changing the position of my judgement/combo (I have them around the centre of my screen and focus on them when I play), downloading a bunch of new beatmaps, etcetera. I don't play for super long sessions and I make sure not to tense up too much and I don't get hand pain so it definitely isn't RSI.

The only thing I can think of is that because of other games and responsibilities in my life I've not been able to play Osu! quite as much. I used to play for about an hour a day but recently I've only been playing for an hour every 3-4 days out of the week. I get that it's less but I didn't know such a seemingly small adjustment would have such a noticeable impact on my gameplay. I feel like I've gotten a lot worse at reading specifically and now have a hard time keeping up where before I would have been able to.

Am I just in a funk? Should I just persevere and keep playing like normal or are there any tips and tricks to help me get back to where I was faster?
Stomiks
Sometimes you just get into slumps that really hinder your progress. It depends on how long it'll take but it can go days, weeks, maybe months before it disappears.

I think what's most likely though is you're inconsistent in playing the game, as you stated you only play about 3-4 days a week now. Personally for me, I immediately get rusty if I don't play the game for a day. Maybe that's the same for you? Try getting at least some consistency in. You don't have to play an hour a day, maybe like 30 minutes everyday so you'll be consistent in playing at least.
UltraBlack
I think the problem here is exactly that uou tried to change things. Sometimes you get bad sessios because you did not made a good warmup and fue to that think you are doing bad and try to change things. If you want to keep a co sistent evolution then keep on with a fix skin and sometimes change the scroll speed if you feel lile it but also try to keep that fixed. Just go back to your usual settings and try recovering slowly for what you had. Also i play only 1-2 days a week and if you do play correctly you should not have problems with this
Topic Starter
vrrrmin

Stomiks wrote:

Sometimes you just get into slumps that really hinder your progress. It depends on how long it'll take but it can go days, weeks, maybe months before it disappears.

I think what's most likely though is you're inconsistent in playing the game, as you stated you only play about 3-4 days a week now. Personally for me, I immediately get rusty if I don't play the game for a day. Maybe that's the same for you? Try getting at least some consistency in. You don't have to play an hour a day, maybe like 30 minutes everyday so you'll be consistent in playing at least.
Sorry for the late reply, I'm not getting notifs from forum posts for some reason.

I listened to your advice and tried to play for at least 15-30 mins a day and I did begin to see an improvement again. I also forced myself to stop fiddling with absolutely everything and just stick with the settings I had because I think constantly changing everything was just throwing me off.

One change I am sticking to is a new skin though. I'd been using the same one since I started playing ~6 months ago (the Project VOEZ one if you're familiar) and even though I like it the problem is it has a ton of flashing lights and effects that basically flashbang you and make focusing especially when you're playing at night really difficult. I've switched to a much cleaner one (E.C.S) and since then I've seen a noticeable improvement in my scores and acc.
[DJ]Robsao
Vez skin omg
heipizhu
Hi there, just try to take a good night's sleep and warm up your fingers before you play. It really helps!