forum

Is mapping supposed to be FORCED to be a chore, or can it be fun?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gsun
People keep telling me that mapping is not a game, it is an art. And that could be true. The only problem is is that people like Lewski or Anxient have to be blunt and unforgiving to me when TELLING me anything about mapping. Like what does TELLING me how to do something have to do with using the editor, putting in patterns, structuring a map, etc.? Like you could literally TELL me how to do good at mapping in a gentler, accomodating way like a REAL teacher without the mean attitude. Like if other games can ACTUALLY teach me how to make levels in an intuitive way, why can't any of you do it? Is it necessary to be an asshole to teach me how to map? I'm really confused.
sayucat_
if you can't take criticism then mapping is not for you, unfortunately. i do not know to what extent were they mean to you or you just can't take criticism while they're genuinely trying to be constructive. if they were only "being blunt and unforgiving" and they didn't insult you, it does not count as being an asshole or being mean, it's just being harsh and straight to the point, which is not a bad thing if you genuinely want to improve in mapping.

and yes, mapping is supposed to be fun. if it is a chore, no one is gonna do it voluntarily.
Kiwahara
Agreed with everything Sayu said.

But after receiving all of those harsh but true feedbacks they gave you, instead of a better mindset like: ‘what should i do to improve my map?’ ‘Why did they said my A, B, C in the map is bad and how i can fix those?’ ‘Ohhh my map must be really bad that they just flamed me all over.’ But you ended up being spicy why people can’t be more gentle to you - which is understandable, but you know you need criticism to improve. Because they want to help so they spend their time giving a stranger some feedbacks, others will just ignore you (not really but you know what i mean). So i hope you have a different, more positive thinking about that.
lewski
when u make a post that comes off as super entitled (such as in the thread i assume ur referring to when u mention me) thats kinda just what happens

i cant speak for anxient or anyone else but personally im often blunt cause i dont like to sugarcoat things or have others sugarcoat the things they say to me, if that makes me an asshole then ill gladly keep being one
enneya
ok but really you shouldnt be expecting someone to come along and hold your hand through the learning process. as much as mapping has similarities to art fields its still a game and people have lives so they prefer doing things they like within their own friend groups, which is just how any socially controlled community works
even if you find someone with quantifiable experience to help most of the progress depends on how much you invest into it

also mapping is way too complex to just "tell" someone how to do properly. learning is time consuming and i can confidently say most if not all mappers spend a few/several years learning how playing the game works, dissecting music, working with the editor, making proper rhythm, spacing, movement, emphasis, etc. and hopefully surpassing minimum quality standards

all of this i have experienced first hand i must say, including people giving advice being blunt or getting flamed at some point because looking back, being hardstuck really sucks more than coming to terms i wasnt as good as i really was (several times across the years!)
Topic Starter
Gsun
I see.