forum

[Archived] Losing beatmap after power outage

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ryu Sei
Problem details:
I was editing a beatmap, then suddenly I got cut off from power after few seconds saving the beatmap. According to home/changelog/stable40/20220829 , this should not corrupt my beatmap. However, it's not the case. I simply lost my beatmap progress. I haven't uploaded it elsewhere so I can't recover my map online.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20230326 (latest)
Death
As part of the save process, the game should have written a temporary file first before replacing the actual beatmap file (as mentioned in that changelog entry you posted). That temporary file may still exist. If it does, you can recover your beatmap from it.

Press the Windows key, search for "Run", and then in the Run window type %temp%. That will bring you to the temporary folder your beatmap would have been saved to. Once you're in that folder, you'll need to start going through the files one by one, opening them in Notepad or some other text editor to see if one of them is your beatmap. The filename will just be a random combination of letters and numbers.

You could have quite a few unrelated files in the folder because other software also likely uses it to write temp files, so I would recommend sorting by Date Modified and going through the files around the time you lost power.
Topic Starter
Ryu Sei
Unfortunately none found. I've been looking the folders in and out and there are no files related to my lost beatmap.

I propose for the more persistent temporary folder, or rather 'backup' folder that is more accessible to user should this ever happens again. That way a user can simply search that dedicated backup folder and revert/restore the file to whichever version it saved. An .osu file size is really insignificant in average and that shouldn't clog up the drive either. Maybe implement some backup folder cleaning mechanism too often times, like automatically deleting files older than 30 days.