forum

[Archived] ALT-TAB High CPU usage (lag spikes)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
lacto
Problem details: When I alt tab in-game or into the game, there are times that my CPU usage goes to 100% and lags my entire PC, I have a clean windows installation and I've been having this problem for the last few months on various windows installations, it lags so much that when it happens on pause my score won't submit because of lag ("Score submission failed due to system lag")

I've tried solutions and the only way it doesn't use high CPU it's on windowed mode. It is a problem with my hardware?

NOTE: I have only noticed this problem happens when I have a lot of beatmaps on the game (currently 122k+), is this something that could trigger it?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

CTRL+F11 graph at the lag spike (biggest blue block):

osu! version: Stable 20230206 (latest)
Death

lacto wrote:

NOTE: I have only noticed this problem happens when I have a lot of beatmaps on the game (currently 122k+), is this something that could trigger it?
Maybe? Does this mean you tested both with and without a large number of beatmaps?
Topic Starter
lacto
Yeah, everytime I had a clean installation of windows + osu, at first I couldn't replicate the issue, but when time passed and I was getting more and more beatmaps, the issue starts to show up. (I repeated this process a few times for the last few months)

So yeah, it might be the high amount of beatmaps that could cause it but ONLY on fullscreen, is it fixable by any means or only by upgrading my hardware?
Death
I vaguely recall some similar issues having been reported here from others who also had 100k+ beatmaps, but I can't find them anymore. It's possible the issues reported there were the same as yours, so I'd like to find them... I'll keep looking. It's possible you may just need to not have as many beatmaps imported for the time being.
Topic Starter
lacto
In the meanwhile, is there a good way to move/export a lot of beatmaps out of the song folder without making a mess? it doesn't feel safe just moving the songs over to other folder, but if it's that simple, I'd like to know
Death
Should be alright as long as you have the game closed while doing so.