forum

[invalid] Stop giving Fake S

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Zare
If you miss a sliderhead and break your combo, but FC the rest of the map wou will get an S, please change this, as an S really should only be given when you hit all of the objects, and if you miss a slider and still get an S it's just wrong.
- Marco -
it's accuracy based...
Topic Starter
Zare
If you get a "Miss", you cannot get an S, no matter your accuracy. But if you miss a Slider and still get a "100" you will get the S for some reason, assuming you FC'd the rest and aren't complete shit at accuracy
Nathanael
A slider break is probably different from a miss unless you missed the whole slider.
Anyway, it is accuracy based as marcostudios said.

SS = 100% accuracy
S = Over 90% 300s, less than 1% 50s and no misses.
A = Over 80% 300s and no misses OR over 90% 300s.
B = Over 70% 300s and no misses OR over 80% 300s.
C = Over 60% 300s.
D = Anything else.
AmaiHachimitsu
Somebody is missing a point.

Zarerion just wants sliderbreaks to be treated as misses. Though it's hard to implement because when we break the slider in a traditional way we still get a 100, not a miss. It would be needed to change the nature of sliderbreaks and cause osu! to read it as miss.

I think this one won't be accepted. And I also don't see the benefit from doing so. Fake S just looks better in the scoreboard somehow, but still doesn't tell anything.
Bauxe
Well, if you get no sliderbreaks / missing end of sliders, you get a PERFECT as well. Maybe have a listing of perfects or something? I don't know.
Topic Starter
Zare
AmaiHachimitsu is correct.
Fake S just cause confusion, (new) people keep asking "I have an S and no misses and good accuracy, why is my score so low?!?!" and stuff like that. It's just one the things that has to be explained over and over again.
Also it bothers me personally when playing, as I don't want to see an S when I know I missed something, but that's really just my personal preference I guess.

It simply seems much more logical to me that, when you missed a slider because of aim it is NOT treated like a circle which you simply didn't click accurately. They're 2 different things and shouldn't be treated the same way. If you mess up your aim you get a Miss, if you mess up timing you get a 100 or 50, but sliders break the conistency of that system.
OsuMe65

marcostudios wrote:

it's accuracy based...
I agree

Standard Sliders shows 100s and at the end of each combo string, 50-50 Orange [300] or Green [100] Katsu (Katu) will show. And that affects accuracy, for sure.
Fake S occurs because of 100 (if I'm correct, since I forgot it 2 years ago).

If Slider Break will be treated as a miss, it's quite ridiculous. That's because EBA and OTO/2 treats them as CBs (Combo Breaks) and osu! is like that since the beginning until now. Implementing this would be a hard time for players to adjust.
Kodora
It will break thousands current scores and will take huge re-code of the gameplay.

What's wrong with current system? Sliders plays completely differently, that's why you don't have miss on them.

I don't see any reason to change this.
Topic Starter
Zare

OsuMe65 wrote:

Standard Sliders shows 100s and at the end of each combo string, 50-50 Orange [300] or Green [100] Katsu (Katu) will show. And that affects accuracy, for sure.
Fake S occurs because of 100 (if I'm correct, since I forgot it 2 years ago).
Read what Nathanael said, they explained the requirements for each rank.

OsuMe65 wrote:

If Slider Break will be treated as a miss, it's quite ridiculous. That's because EBA and OTO/2 treats them as CBs (Combo Breaks) and osu! is like that since the beginning until now. Implementing this would be a hard time for players to adjust.
You seem to misunderstand, what I'm requesting would not require any kind of adjustment. It wouldn't have any actual effect on the gameplay, it would only change sliderbreaks to be shown as Miss instead of 100, making Fake S disappear and the Ranking letter system more consistent.

Also, why would we stick to something bad just because it was done in previous games as well? Yes, osu! is based on them, but it isn't the same, and if we can improve stuff they did wrong, isn't that a good thing?

@Kodora: "huge re-code of the gameplay"? Can you even judge the effort of coding this would require? Also no, it wouldn't have any effect on the gameplay
Kodora

Zarerion wrote:

Also no, it wouldn't have any effect on the gameplay
Except that it will take re-calculation of thousands scores what was taken for 6+ years of osu with new miss algorithm.

Why?
Topic Starter
Zare
In order to fix confusing inconsistencies
boat
An S is an S regardless of your combo, it is however not a "Full Combo" or as per the default skin, a "Perfect", if you did happen to break/miss a slidertick.

Combo and accuracy are separate matters and there's little reason to merge them.
Kodora

Zarerion wrote:

In order to fix confusing inconsistencies
There is nothing "confusing" here. Unlike hitcircles, which requires only hitting at the correct time, sliders requires absolutely different option - hitting and holding to the end.

If you missed at the beginning, but still can hold slider to the end, you will receive fair 100 with combo break since you completed at least one option of slider

If you hit beginning correctly, but not hold it to the end, you will receive fair 100 without combo break since slider tail is passive hitobject and don't requires hitting.

If you barely follow sliderball, you will receive fair 50

If you missed everything here, you will receive fair miss.

That's how it works. Different hitobject should have different behaviour. Current game mechanics are perfectly fine.
Nyxa
Actually, what Kodora said is correct. If you're going to change sliders to behave like hitcircles, then you'd also need to change spinners to be hit accurately when they're about to start (since you're going for "consistency" anyway) - that wouldn't make sense, would it? If you want, you can wait until the spinner is 75% complete and then spin like mad and still get a 50 (depending on the length of the spinner) and keep your combo. It's a different hitobject so it's calculated differently.

Also, are you going to tell me that 50s shouldn't cause you to get an A either because they're legitimate hits so a full combo should give you an S?
Topic Starter
Zare
wow this got bumped wat

this kinda left my range of cares i can give, but I still agree that an S shouldn't be granted when a player broke their combo midway
Sea_Food
[list=]

41236 wrote:

Here the problem comes. It's impossible to tell between a true S and a fake S because sliderbreaks've always been counted together with those 100s and 50s. peppy didn't think too much on the gameplay when he made it, he also brought over those useless Geki and Katu from the DS games :<
I love how literally every single thing you said in this post is wrong.
Sea_Food

41236 wrote:

Sea_Food wrote:

I love how literally every single thing you said in this post is wrong.
You mean there's a way to tell them apart?
ok here goes

Here the problem comes.
It is not really a problem. Yes some people can get confused by why they got S even without combo, but everytime they have just asked #osu and got the answer really quickly. If your tired of seeing the same question as often as once per week then boohoo, they are talking about osu! the game in the channel #osu.
Then you say stuff like this:
What I wanna emphasize is that it should be changed from accuracy-based to score-based. Because osu! is different compared to other rhythm games where accuracy does big to your score.
It should be changed. An S should tell how GOOD you are instead of how ACCURATE you are compared to an A.
While in another thread people cry that this game focuses too much on combo and score, and scoreboards should be based on PP instead because it takes accuracy into account more and clearly that is the true measurement of how good you are. Make up your mind community. How about we dont change anything?
It's impossible to tell between a true S and a fake S
If you think S rank should be defined some other way, that does not make it a "fake S". If you get an S be happy that you got it, because you did not miss a single whole note. That is a good achievement and should be rewarded. And I give you a way to tell them apart: If you see that you that you have full combo, it means you got full combo. If you see that you dont have full combo, it means that you dont have full combo. Simple isn't it? Your combo is shown literally everywhere where your rank is. It should not be possible to ever get confused did you FC it or not.
because sliderbreaks've always been counted together with those 100s and 50s.
Yes and that is a good thing. If you dont compleatly miss every part of the note, you should get some of the reward. If you miss something, your combo should end.
peppy didn't think too much on the gameplay when he made it, he also brought over those useless Geki and Katu from the DS games :<
I have been playing really many rhythm games in my life, but since I started osu! I always praised the brilliance of the Geki and Katu feature, and talked with people from other communities how it should be implemented to the other games. Many games have something that is kinda similar, but the way its done in this game is just clearly the best. You randomly putting that last sentence there really rustled my jimmies and was the real reason I even made this lengthy post. It is just such a wrong thing to say.
Topic Starter
Zare
i still dont even understand the geki and katu thing
for the longest time i thought they are just ends of combos
Sea_Food

Zare wrote:

shit like this is why 2014 is bad year for beatmaps
Topic Starter
Zare

Sea_Food wrote:

Zare wrote:

shit like this is why 2014 is bad year for beatmaps

Uhh.

Okay?
Bara-
I'd say make a new ranking letter
As it shows good accuracy+no misses, but no fc
If you want to change it to an A, I would hate everyone that promoted this, as yhen I'd have so less S's xD
Green Platinum

41236 wrote:

I came up with another thing since osu! can't detect slider breaks in old S scores:

S = Over 90% 300s, less than 1% 50s, no misses and over 99% max combo.
Every S with 99% or less than 99% max combo will be changed to an A. This would work better ^-^
This doesn't solve the "problem", despite me not believing the problem exists

There still will be fake S's and Fake A's for the cases where combo was not dropped and instead missing the ends of sliders results in a less than 99% accuracy combo.

Also how would you determine the maximum combo for the map since it is not a stored value within the map and with people playing on slow computers and 2b maps in existence simulating the map through auto (for combo count) is not a viable option.
show more