forum

Rhythm for dummies please, im still struggling with rhythm.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Faath
Rhythm for dummies please, im still struggling with rhythm.
i don't seem to understand the mapping rhythm quite as much as i thought i was, so please tell me the dumb way to explain how the mapping rhythm works
WitherMite
sounds have an importance/strength to them, which usually goes big white tick > small white tick > red tick > blue tick

then in 4/4 time - which most music is - the pattern emphasized sounds follow is usually
1 - 2 - 3 - 4
this pattern fits into each beat (small white ticks), each measure (big white ticks), and even whole sections of the song.

most of rhythm is training your ears to both distinguish rhythm and notice the emphasized sounds then making choices to emphasize the objects on those sounds, which will help when you find the exceptions to that pattern
Lucille
each object have different weight to them and their usage differs between sections of songs.
for slow or calm sections you'd want your rhythm to reflect those, you'd generally want them to be simpler.
for more intense sections you'd want to emphasize those so usually it involves more dense rhythm.

for most cases circles hold a lot of weight to them.
you'd generally want to use circles for prominent or stronger sounds cause making those sounds clickable gave them more emphasis.

slider doesn't hold as much weight compared to circles cause the end of the slider is not clickable and generally the hit window on slider head is a lot more lenient compared to circles.
that asides slider head is still clickable so you could use them for something that started out strong and end the slider on a weaker sound.
other than that you need to held a slider to play it so you could use slider for held sounds, stuff like vocals are usually held so you'd typically use a slider for those.

ive looked through some of your maps and you seem to generally have a decent understanding of rhythm already.
i could point out a couple of things about them such as your rhythm priority and choices but i don't think this is the right forum for me to talk about those.
if you'd like me to point them out or if you have any other mapping related questions then feel free to message me ill be more than happy to help :D
Zelzatter Zero

Lucille wrote:

slider doesn't hold as much weight compared to circles cause the end of the slider is not clickable and generally the hit window on slider head is a lot more lenient compared to circles.
I... don't really think so. Jumps with kicksliders, in streams in particular, hold way more weight than what jumps with circle could express, because 1) they require extra attention to cursor movement, and 2) they also require extra attention to your timing or else you sliderdropped. Slideracc doesn't hold much water here.

Depending on the situation, one has a stronger emphasis than other. It's better to know what you're dealing with before going for each route.

Also in regard to rhythm priority: Your standard rhythm choice should be the percussions, then depending on the section's intensity, change it however you wish. For calm section I'd suggest going for melody/synths/vocals instead, for example.
Lucille

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Lucille wrote:

I... don't really think so. Jumps with kicksliders, in streams in particular, hold way more weight than what jumps with circle could express, because 1) they require extra attention to cursor movement, and 2) they also require extra attention to your timing or else you sliderdropped. Slideracc doesn't hold much water here.
yeah you could use slider for emphasis a blatant example would probably be something like sidetraked day where the stream transition to 1/8 slider and as you've mentioned before stream to 1/4 slider jumps or low sv to high sv. but i still stand by my statement that generally slider held less weight than circles, the main reason you can use a stream to 1/4 slider is because slider is a lot more lenient therefore allowing you to put more spacing for emphasis as for kicksliders jump slider took more space in the timeline than a circle the fact that you can even utilize it as jumps means that its lenient enough for you to even map it as jumps, you could even see me using this in my latest map. movement & spacing for emphasis is a whole other can of worms to open and it'll be out of topic to discuss it here.
Topic Starter
Faath

Lucille wrote:

each object have different weight to them and their usage differs between sections of songs.
for slow or calm sections you'd want your rhythm to reflect those, you'd generally want them to be simpler.
for more intense sections you'd want to emphasize those so usually it involves more dense rhythm.

for most cases circles hold a lot of weight to them.
you'd generally want to use circles for prominent or stronger sounds cause making those sounds clickable gave them more emphasis.

that asides slider head is still clickable so you could use them for something that started out strong and end the slider on a weaker sound.
other than that you need to held a slider to play it so you could use slider for held sounds, stuff like vocals are usually held so you'd typically use a slider for those.

ive looked through some of your maps and you seem to generally have a decent understanding of rhythm already.
i could point out a couple of things about them such as your rhythm priority and choices but i don't think this is the right forum for me to talk about those.
if you'd like me to point them out or if you have any other mapping related questions then feel free to message me ill be more than happy to help :D
thank you :D
Topic Starter
Faath

Lucille wrote:

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Lucille wrote:

yeah you could use slider for emphasis a blatant example would probably be something like sidetraked day where the stream transition to 1/8 slider and as you've mentioned before stream to 1/4 slider jumps or low sv to high sv. but i still stand by my statement that generally slider held less weight than circles, the main reason you can use a stream to 1/4 slider is because slider is a lot more lenient therefore allowing you to put more spacing for emphasis as for kicksliders jump slider took more space in the timeline than a circle the fact that you can even utilize it as jumps means that its lenient enough for you to even map it as jumps, you could even see me using this in my latest map. movement & spacing for emphasis is a whole other can of worms to open and it'll be out of topic to discuss it here.
ok guy
Kiwahara
Necro moment