forum

Why do I see people saying to take off precise pointer?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MCDMars
I've seen some people say that it's better to play without precise pointer on mouse, but I just find myself playing MUCH worse if I have it off and want to know what makes it worth practicing?
Wishy
That option you mention makes your sensitivity become dynamic, which is bad.
ampzz
Because it is bad, plain and simple.
XGeneral2000
Pointer precision (or mouse acceleration) makes your pointer position dependent on its velocity. Your cursor will move farther if you move the mouse quickly as opposed to slowly, even if they travel the same overall distance. Without it, your cursor position is only dependent on mouse position. X units of mouse distance = Y units of cursor distance, every single time, regardless of how quickly you do it.

Try it for yourself. Starting with the mouse in one position, make a square with the mouse, returning it to its original position. With pointer precision disabled, your cursor will also return to its original position. With it enabled, it probably won't.

You can probably see why people suggest turning it off for osu! now. Disabling pointer precision allows absolute mapping between the mouse and the cursor - every point on your mouse surface will always map to a specific point on the screen (at least until you pick up the mouse). If you see two notes separated by some distance, you will know exactly how far you need to move your mouse. This means you will eventually be able to build solid muscle memory, much stronger than if you keep pointer precision enabled.

Right now, disabling pointer precision feels clunky and bad because you have probably used it your entire computer life, and you're used to it now. However, in the long run, disabling it will help your osu! performance (and probably other gaming performance too). It will obviously take practice to get used to, but it's a better long-term investment.
Topic Starter
MCDMars
I can see what you mean already. I sucked, but at certain bits I found myself getting into it a little better. Will probably relearn how2mouse in this case ^^
Talinoth
I'm bad at this game, but I can say that after turning it off, I did get solidly better at certain parts of the game.

Especially spinners.

The problem I always had with spinners, is that I was often drawing good circles with my mouse, but the shape was ALWAYS wonky because different parts of the circle get drawn by different muscle actions in the wrist. Basically, I draw one half of the circle faster than the other half. This meant my mouse would drift away from the centre of the spinner on long spinners, cause me to fail them, and blow up long combos on otherwise perfect runs.

It's a good long term investment, imo.

The only real drawbacks are that I can't instantly hit long jumps from across the screen on AR 7-8 anymore, and I had to turn my mouse sensitivity up quite a bit so I could keep the same speed as normal.
Winshley

Talinoth wrote:

The problem I always had with spinners, is that I was often drawing good circles with my mouse, but the shape was ALWAYS wonky because different parts of the circle get drawn by different muscle actions in the wrist. Basically, I draw one half of the circle faster than the other half. This meant my mouse would drift away from the centre of the spinner on long spinners, cause me to fail them, and blow up long combos on otherwise perfect runs.
This was exactly my problem when I just started playing osu! back then, when I still had Enhanced Pointer Precision turned on. :P

Although this may help you spin big on spinners, since you don't have to move as much with EPP turned on than off. The spin may still get wonky though...

The main problem I had with EPP is the dynamic cursor movement as XGeneral2000. I often had to lift my mouse since the mouse often goes off the mousepad (and even the table!), despite the cursor in-game still ends at the center of screen.
buny

MCDMars wrote:

I can see what you mean already. I sucked, but at certain bits I found myself getting into it a little better. Will probably relearn how2mouse in this case ^^
When you get to faster maps, the acceleration is a pain in the ass
Mizuno Yui
Definitely. Before turning it off, almost every larger jump was followed by "Where the fuck is my cursor?!" moment.
NoYzE
I liked mouse acceleration at first.
I used it for many years of playing other games, before i start paying osu.
I even could do jumps and had good accuracy.
I thought people saying it sucks just suck with it.
BUT there was ONE problem.
At longer maps without breaks and with patterns where i had to move fast to the top or bottom and slowly back i got a huge problem:
My mouse was moving across the mouse-pad, because you need shorter ways for jumping and longer ways to go back slowly.
After hitting the edge of my mouse-pad, even though it's a big one, the combo was 100% break, because i couldn't move any farther in that direction and missed.
So i turned off Mouse acceleration, switched to windowed mode, adjusted my sensitivity and practiced.
The problem was gone and i can play hard maps fc with my mouse no problem.
On insanes i use my tablet though, because my mouse has a low dpi and polling-rate.