forum

is generic a dead style of mapping in 2023? [osu!std]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Froggles
i get generic mapping can be boring to other mappers and bns as people used to only map generic songs but it seems like generic mapping has kinda been forgotten at this point and idk why its just disappeared. is it really just because bns dont want to nominate it?
Ryu Sei
But what is generic mapping?
MrMcMikey22
2016 mapping..? Or even possibly distance-snap only maps...(yeah like there's NO pure distance snap maps in the recent maps I think...)
Topic Starter
Froggles

MrMcMikey22 wrote:

2016 mapping..? Or even possibly distance-snap only maps...(yeah like there's NO pure distance snap maps in the recent maps I think...)
kinda like kuki and browiec style maps
lewski

MrMcMikey22 wrote:

distance snap hasnt been meta above hard diffs in a decade lol

Ryu Sei wrote:

extrapolating from the definition of the word "generic", it's when you mostly or solely use elements that would be inoffensive on any similar piece of music (and as a result, this approach tends to do a poor job of representing the full depth of any song)

it's not just a synonym for comfy aim, the phenomenon is easy to see in 1/2 slider patterns and people who never use 3/4 sliders, plus there have been tons of generic stream/tech/alt maps for years and tournament mapping has given us generic complex rhythm, generic reading, and generic awkward aim

although op did actually just mean comfy aim

Froggles wrote:

yeah the mapping community in general seems to be really tired of what I like to call scientific comfy aim

its "development" started in 2016, it was more or less perfected by 2020, and after that it basically caused its own death over the next couple of years: when you have so many mappers pumping out maps that basically just follow the same formula, it's only a matter of time before people get bored of it. the same thing has happened with certain kinds of tourney maps as well, although with scientific comfy aim the effect is stronger, because the formula is so easy to follow that a bunch of people picked it up early in their mapping journeys and just grew out of it naturally

there are still echoes of the formula in a lot of comfy aim maps, though, because they do still exist, just generally not in as extreme of a form as a year or two ago. I think 2015-ish aim is also having a bit of a renaissance as a sort of bounce-back effect. anyway, aim maps aren't going anywhere, but the specific style you're looking for does seem to be on its way out.
MrMcMikey22

lewski wrote:

MrMcMikey22 wrote:

distance snap hasnt been meta above hard diffs in a decade lol

Ryu Sei wrote:

extrapolating from the definition of the word "generic", it's when you mostly or solely use elements that would be inoffensive on any similar piece of music (and as a result, this approach tends to do a poor job of representing the full depth of any song)

it's not just a synonym for comfy aim, the phenomenon is easy to see in 1/2 slider patterns and people who never use 3/4 sliders, plus there have been tons of generic stream/tech/alt maps for years and tournament mapping has given us generic complex rhythm, generic reading, and generic awkward aim

although op did actually just mean comfy aim

Froggles wrote:

yeah the mapping community in general seems to be really tired of what I like to call scientific comfy aim

its "development" started in 2016, it was more or less perfected by 2020, and after that it basically caused its own death over the next couple of years: when you have so many mappers pumping out maps that basically just follow the same formula, it's only a matter of time before people get bored of it. the same thing has happened with certain kinds of tourney maps as well, although with scientific comfy aim the effect is stronger, because the formula is so easy to follow that a bunch of people picked it up early in their mapping journeys and just grew out of it naturally

there are still echoes of the formula in a lot of comfy aim maps, though, because they do still exist, just generally not in as extreme of a form as a year or two ago. I think 2015-ish aim is also having a bit of a renaissance as a sort of bounce-back effect. anyway, aim maps aren't going anywhere, but the specific style you're looking for does seem to be on its way out.
hmmm..there must be some sort of way to make a crazy distance snapped beatmap. I often fully used distance snap and tried to do a full distance snap with some jumps if the diffs are higher but like I only tend to manipulate it by putting it on a later timeline and using it and then putting it back to the timeline where it's supposed to be...With the main factor of the rising difficulty being the green lines that make the sliders go faster for extended periods of time instead of fast and not fast or something...

That being said..Is it possible to make a tech map by using 1/2 sliders..? Could be interesting...a distance snapped mostly 1/2 tech map..hmmmmmm..
Zelzatter Zero

MrMcMickey22 wrote:

That being said..Is it possible to make a tech map by using 1/2 sliders..? Could be interesting...a distance snapped mostly 1/2 tech map..hmmmmmm..
Yes.

There was once a mapping contest where the use of 1/4 snapping and smaller are prohibited with the songs featured being more lean towards tech-style mapping. And someone did it.
Nao Tomori
i think plenty of people still map simple generic maps. they just dont map really inflated 1-2 jump spikes as much cuz bns finally have stopped nominating that shit collectively. i think the majority of generic j-rock and anime songs are mapped in a simple and plain style.
Kaly

Froggles wrote:

MrMcMikey22 wrote:

Well if you are talking about browiec type fo maps, yeah those maps fucking suck, but there's other type of generic mapping that's not very bad
Kinmiri
I mean, its not really dead if people still map it
theres still tv size maps with mostly jumps in kiai times
other styles that are similar to generic are cool i guess
MrMcMikey22

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

MrMcMickey22 wrote:

Yes.

There was once a mapping contest where the use of 1/4 snapping and smaller are prohibited with the songs featured being more lean towards tech-style mapping. And someone did it.
Hmmm..still sorta looks like random 1/4 thingies to me :/
But this map has less plays than my most played maps, that's kinda harsh..
When I was thinking about like a tech map..I was sorta thinking of it like a map that has a tech style, but it like follows the JUST the vocals, similar to most super old grid based maps, but the song isn't like Camellia levels of intense either..
Although the old mappers sorta did the 1/2 thing called Etna style, but...

hol up..O_O

I searched etna in the osu! forums and stumbled upon something super funny so I made a copypasta of Etna's Guest difficulty that actually wasn't made by her, because she joined in 2017 and then you search etna you get her then u go to her "guest diff." from ztrot's beatmap and spam the copypasta XD