forum

[Archived] Beatmap audio and background will not load even after deleting and redownloading

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
loafusofbread
About 1% of the beatmaps in my collection have this problem. I'm not sure exactly when this problem started (over a year ago) but I think it only happened once, and no beatmaps I have downloaded since then have experienced this happen to them. Affected maps are playable, bringing up the error message "This beatmap is missing some files and may not be displayed correctly", and they can be opened in the editor, but no audio will play and the background is missing. Going to the song folder and trying to play the audio file or open the background image both result in error messages:

What's problematic is that even after deleting the map and redownloading it, this issue persists. This is especially unfortunate in the case of multiple songs bundled in the same set, where every single song is affected. I'm assuming the fix would be to delete some kind of cache, but after doing a few searches I haven't seen anyone else report this issue so I'm not sure what to do. The error messages displayed when trying to open the background image and audio file suggest something to do with file permissions, but I am running as the administrator on this PC. I'm running Windows 10. Any help or information about this would be appreciated (including if this is a known issue and I just didn't find it!).

osu! version: Stable 20230101.2
Death
Right click on the beatmap folders that are having this issue, go to Properties, Security, and make sure the account you are logged into isn't being denied permissions to the folder.
Topic Starter
loafusofbread
Thanks so much, this fixed it! Unfortunate that I have to do it for every map I want to play with this problem but I'm glad that this can be fixed.
Death
There should be a way to set the correct permissions on the entire Songs folder and have the subfolders inherit them. That has to be done through the "Advanced" security page though, which you can get to from the security page you were on before.