forum

std::lite | open-source osu! lazer skin

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sineplusx
This skin is made specifically for the new client, osu!lazer.
If there is enough interest, I might do a version of this skin for osu!stable.

std::lite is an open-source osu! standard skin - optimized to the core for the new client, minimalistic, clean and gameplay-oriented.

Inspired by BTMC's Freedom Dive and JesusOmega's Planets, std::lite started out as a mixed skin in 2022. During 2023, I completely remade all skin elements in vector format.

Due to the current limitations of the lazer skinning system (and my lack of design skill), only the gameplay elements and interface are skinned. The skin uses some of the Argon Pro hitsounds along with the default interface elements of the Argon skin.
The default interface configuration is a minimal example, and elements can be added and adjusted in the skin layout editor for your individual preference.

Variants and Flavors
normal (numerals/dots/blank)
For NM/EZ
3 combo colors (blue/pink/purple)

highspeed (numerals/dots)
For DT / AR>=10
Instafade (+if) available
No combo colors (white)
Use of 100% background dim is recommended

The skin, excluding the sound files, is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International.

Feel free to contribute to the project on GitHub if you have any ideas, or use the elements for your own skinning projects! (with Attribution)
Mio Naganohara
nice skin, ima go sleep on osu
Stomiks
Wow it looks really nice and pairs well with lazer's aesthetic
NatureCat
I really like this skin, but I have some very minor feedback.

Regarding hitsounds: Personally, I think only one hitsound is very repetitive. At least, there should be a variant with multiple hitsounds. (Like, for example the current "dots" and "empty" variants.)

Also, the spinner looks somewhat "out-of-place" to me. The skin's combo colors are blue-ish and purple-ish, but then the spinner is pure white? That looks imho weird...

Keep in mind: I don't know the first thing about skinning in osu, these are just a few things I noticed while playing.

Otherwise, this is probably my favorite lazer skin. Keep up the great work!
Topic Starter
sineplusx
Im glad you like the skin!

NatureHog wrote:

Regarding hitsounds: Personally, I think only one hitsound is very repetitive. At least, there should be a variant with multiple hitsounds. (Like, for example the current "dots" and "empty" variants.)
The hitsounds are actually not made by me, and I didnt add more hitsounds for the purpose of simplicity. Hitsounds are also very individual for each player, and can be easily replaced. The skin just provides a minimalistic baseline.

About the spinner: I am already working on a better design (coming soon™). The pure white color currently doesnt fit.
Topic Starter
sineplusx
I have updated the skin from the old mixed version to a new and original open-source version made with vector graphics! For more info, check the updated OP.
Jordany
Amazing skin, was looking for a skin made specifically for lazer!
BlueChinchompa
very nice!
- Marco -
based skin
Proxyerium
Best skin I had ever used
Topic Starter
sineplusx
Thanks for your support everyone!

I have released an update to the skin today.
It adds proper slidertick miss and sliderend drop graphics and an additional instafade variant.

Here is what I have planned for the skin in following updates:
- Fast fading judgement animations
- Reworking followpoint timings
- Alternative color schemes
- Making a shell or python script to compile each variant from source
- If interest is there, I might do a full backport to osu!stable