forum

How to use the fruity loops (tutorial)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Datzuke-Oni
As you know my name is datzuke time and am a house dj not very famous but still want to teach them to use a program to compose melodies and produce in this tutorial will teach you the essentials and basic

ASK QUESTIONS ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD
ZenoDiac
YES teach me.
I wanna mix 2 songs together - so I need the BPM to be the same first. what do?
Topic Starter
Datzuke-Oni

ZenoDiac wrote:

YES teach me.
First of all you should know that'' other'' Fruity loops lets you create your own melodies and songs regardless BPM uses TO you
Topic Starter
Datzuke-Oni
LESSON 1 : THE BEAT

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Try a sample pattern. Of course your beat is your own to build as you please, but much of rock and hip hop uses beats that are in 4/4 time. To create a basic 4/4 beat, highlight boxes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15 on the high hat channel, 5 and 13 on the snare channel, and 1, 11, and 13 on the kick channel.

Step 5

Arrange your samples. In your playlist, select the paintbrush tool and paint your sample pattern in the space beside “Track 1.” Paint as many bars of the sample beat as you want to hear.

Step Final

mathexpert
Datzuke did you seriously just copy and paste all of that from this tutorial that you didn't write?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Basic-Bea ... uity-Loops
ZenoDiac

Datzuke-Oni wrote:

ZenoDiac wrote:

YES teach me.
First of all you should know that'' other'' Fruity loops lets you create your own melodies and songs regardless BPM uses TO you
Say wut?
I just want to increase/decrease the BPM and save it. Can I do it?

mathexpert wrote:

Datzuke did you seriously just copy and paste all of that from this tutorial that you didn't write?

I was hoping for expert advice :(
Jarby

ZenoDiac wrote:

YES teach me.
Okay, I'll hijack the thread. First, pick your song; for the sake of simplicity, I suggest using a song with a distinct beat to practice. Drag and drop it into the playlist (F5) and zoom in as far as you can go. It should look something like this:

Now, we need to remove the silence. Get the pencil tool and click and drag the left side of the track so that only the very peak of the waveform remains. If your song has a long intro that lacks a distinctive beat, feel free to cut it all out now since you can add it back in later after timing. Anyway, ensure that you cut everything up to the peak, including the small waves that often appear before it.

This is wrong.

This is right (actually slightly early, but can be fine-tuned easily later). When cropping, hold alt to disable the snap and allow you to cut precisely instead of rhythmically. After doing that, drag the track all the way to the left like so and you've just completed the equivalent of timing the offset.

As for the BPM, turn on the metronome (alt+M) and, well, listen and adjust it accordingly. If you can't hear the metronome properly, double click the track and lower the volume in the sample window as necessary. The vast majority of songs use whole number BPMs, so you probably won't have to use decimal places. You can use the waveform as a guide to how close the BPM is if you're having trouble doing it by ear. For example:

The BPM is set too slow here.

The BPM is set too fast here. When the BPM is too low, the waves will peak before the bar, but they will peak after the bar if the BPM is too fast. Simple enough. Ballpark the BPM first, then listen to the beginning of the track and determine if it is too fast or too slow and adjust accordingly. Always stop the track and go back to the start when changing BPMs or else you won't have a decent frame of reference. Once you're fairly sure of your timing, seek through the track to ensure that the metronome is in time throughout.

And you're done! After that, write down the BPM, mute the track, drop your second song in and repeat the above steps to time it. After you've done that, you're ready to match them. Now, assuming the tracks are different BPMs, you have to pick which one to be sped up or slowed down to match the other. For my example, my second track is 117 BPM, while my first is 119 and I am going to speed up the second to 119. Open up the sample window of the track you want to change and adjust and right click the time knob.

It's this guy here. Select autodetect from the dropdown menu. Now, since we are not using the autodetect feature, click "Type in (BPM)" (fourth from the bottom I believe) and enter the sample's original tempo. Click accept and it will shift to the project BPM (the one at the top of FL Studio). By default, this will also affect the pitch of the sample. If you don't want this to happen, click on Resample and change it to a stretching method like pro default.

One last thing, after stretching and timing the songs, you should move them forward on the playlist by a bar and drag some of the stuff prior to the beat to prevent it from coming in suddenly and being all weird and artifacted. You can remove any actual silence later.

Once your songs are matched like this, you can use the alt dragging method you did before to alter their position in case they are slightly early or late aside from the BPM. That's pretty much all there is to basic timing in FL. Also, FL Studio hasn't been called Fruity Loops for 10 years now, just saying.
Birdy
Datzuke

I'm pretty sure my cancer gets worse everytime I see a post/thread of yours.
ZenoDiac
Daaaayum. That is some useful advice, thanks!
I'll follow that when I get the new version in 2 weeks time.
If I get it to work I'll post it on soundcloud during the holiday ;)
Jarby
You're welcome~ If you need help and this thread gets locked or something, you can PM me or ask in the resources thread.
Topic Starter
Datzuke-Oni
Well will see the Fruity loops is not a very sensillo occupy a single program if nesecitas compose one must first know the basics. the beat for all is paramount in a melody is the following: BASS
Topic Starter
Datzuke-Oni

Static Noise Bird wrote:

Datzuke

I'm pretty sure my cancer gets worse everytime I see a post/thread of yours.
What I done to you that you hurt me? putting that comment :x :x :x :x
Topic Starter
Datzuke-Oni

Jarby wrote:

ZenoDiac wrote:

YES teach me.
Okay, I'll hijack the thread. First, pick your song; for the sake of simplicity, I suggest using a song with a distinct beat to practice. Drag and drop it into the playlist (F5) and zoom in as far as you can go. It should look something like this:

Now, we need to remove the silence. Get the pencil tool and click and drag the left side of the track so that only the very peak of the waveform remains. If your song has a long intro that lacks a distinctive beat, feel free to cut it all out now since you can add it back in later after timing. Anyway, ensure that you cut everything up to the peak, including the small waves that often appear before it.

This is wrong.

This is right (actually slightly early, but can be fine-tuned easily later). When cropping, hold alt to disable the snap and allow you to cut precisely instead of rhythmically. After doing that, drag the track all the way to the left like so and you've just completed the equivalent of timing the offset.

As for the BPM, turn on the metronome (alt+M) and, well, listen and adjust it accordingly. If you can't hear the metronome properly, double click the track and lower the volume in the sample window as necessary. The vast majority of songs use whole number BPMs, so you probably won't have to use decimal places. You can use the waveform as a guide to how close the BPM is if you're having trouble doing it by ear. For example:

The BPM is set too slow here.

The BPM is set too fast here. When the BPM is too low, the waves will peak before the bar, but they will peak after the bar if the BPM is too fast. Simple enough. Ballpark the BPM first, then listen to the beginning of the track and determine if it is too fast or too slow and adjust accordingly. Always stop the track and go back to the start when changing BPMs or else you won't have a decent frame of reference. Once you're fairly sure of your timing, seek through the track to ensure that the metronome is in time throughout.

And you're done! After that, write down the BPM, mute the track, drop your second song in and repeat the above steps to time it. After you've done that, you're ready to match them. Now, assuming the tracks are different BPMs, you have to pick which one to be sped up or slowed down to match the other. For my example, my second track is 117 BPM, while my first is 119 and I am going to speed up the second to 119. Open up the sample window of the track you want to change and adjust and right click the time knob.

It's this guy here. Select autodetect from the dropdown menu. Now, since we are not using the autodetect feature, click "Type in (BPM)" (fourth from the bottom I believe) and enter the sample's original tempo. Click accept and it will shift to the project BPM (the one at the top of FL Studio). By default, this will also affect the pitch of the sample. If you don't want this to happen, click on Resample and change it to a stretching method like pro default.

One last thing, after stretching and timing the songs, you should move them forward on the playlist by a bar and drag some of the stuff prior to the beat to prevent it from coming in suddenly and being all weird and artifacted. You can remove any actual silence later.

Once your songs are matched like this, you can use the alt dragging method you did before to alter their position in case they are slightly early or late aside from the BPM. That's pretty much all there is to basic timing in FL. Also, FL Studio hasn't been called Fruity Loops for 10 years now, just saying.
Jarby also use fruity Loops know, I also be advisable to explain your help if you want
Topic Starter
Datzuke-Oni

mathexpert wrote:

Perhaps you think Mathexpert expert explain a program that is very complicated at first tries to compose a song with your program MUSICAL GENIUS (sarcasm)
Elisha_old

Datzuke-Oni wrote:

Perhaps you think Mathexpert expert explain a program that is very complicated at first tries to compose a song with your program MUSICAL GENIUS (sarcasm)
Topic Starter
Datzuke-Oni

Elisha wrote:

Datzuke-Oni wrote:

elisha stop following me and ruin my thread >:(
OsuMe65

---------------------------
On Topic

inb4 using Legacy Packs in FL is the best way to begin and end yourself having good kits and stuff
js
Jarby

OsuMe65 wrote:

inb4 using Legacy Packs in FL is the best way to begin and end yourself having good kits and stuff
js
Honestly, I find myself using drum machine samples a lot and not just the 808s and LinnDrums. Lots of them here. If the idea of fucking about with them is terrifying to you, I guess going with Vengeance samples is best for modern electronic music.
Topic Starter
Datzuke-Oni

Jarby wrote:

OsuMe65 wrote:

js
Honestly, I find myself using drum machine samples a lot and not just the 808s and LinnDrums. Lots of them here. If the idea of fucking about with them is terrifying to you, I guess going with Vengeance samples is best for modern electronic music.
http://www.dancemidisamples.com/
OsuMe65

Jarby wrote:

If the idea of fucking about with them is terrifying to you, I guess going with Vengeance samples is best for modern electronic music.
wait, I have that... hi5 lol

Actually, I agree. Vengeance have good samples that is worth its terrifying size.
Using them is quite easy... I bet