forum

why doesn't anyone else use oggs in their maps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dight_
idk, i use oggs all the time when i convert a lossless file to a format osu likes. i'd expect to see oggs at least occasionally but every time i dig into a map's assets, it always has an mp3. mp3 is outdated and relatively unifficient. oggs give you better quality for the same filesize. it's even more important when you consider that ranked maps need a bitrate of 192 kbps or less. at that small of a bitrate oggs sound better. period. the best part is that you could go down to like 128 kbps and still retain good audio quality. mp3s at 128 kbps sound like crap. oggs don't.
August
I use oggs. I suppose they can be a bit of a hassle, and more often than not people just want to find something they can work with quick (youtube to mp3 for example), instead of getting a FLAC from somewhere and then also knowing how to compress it to an .ogg
Topic Starter
dight_

August wrote:

I use oggs. I suppose they can be a bit of a hassle, and more often than not people just want to find something they can work with quick (youtube to mp3 for example), instead of getting a FLAC from somewhere and then also knowing how to compress it to an .ogg
yea that makes sense. for one song i had to go though a creator’s back catalog where I could download a flac of the album the song was in. then i went into audacity and exported as an ogg. that took way more effort than just downloading it off of youtube.
Nao Tomori
i use ogg when i start from my own FLAC, FA songs are in mp3 so i use that for whenever i am mapping FA though
sisig
probably because they dont know ogg can be used (or they just dont know about ogg itself)

also use aotuv, way better than libvorbis (thing audacity uses) :3c
lewski

sisig wrote:

use aotuv, way better than libvorbis (thing audacity uses) :3c
you cannot make me care enough, L+ratio
SaltyLucario
i use only ogg for a while now
Asphiee
Personally, it’s how Japan is still using the handwriting system in some stuffs rather than relying on tech. It’s more of preference and staying traditional for me.

It’s irrational I guess...and plain laziness.