forum

What does it mean to "shitmap"?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kataru
I'm seeing the word get thrown around in mapping, and i see some meanings like "it's so hard its shitty" or "the mapping is bad its shitty" and to be honest, i can't really find a specific meaning for it.
WitherMite
I guess its kind of like shitposting where the definition is pretty flexible, some shitposts are high quality, and some take zero effort, but people agree they are both a shitpost.

I think the main thing is that the map doesn't take itself seriously, which can lead to the map being bad, or just really overmapped and over the top.

if the map takes itself seriously, but is bad, people just call the map bad.
Topic Starter
Kataru

WitherMite wrote:

I guess its kind of like shitposting where the definition is pretty flexible, some shitposts are high quality, and some take zero effort, but people agree they are both a shitpost.

I think the main thing is that the map doesn't take itself seriously, which can lead to the map being bad, or just really overmapped and over the top.

another word I don't know the meaning behind, Overmapping!

what does it mean to "overmap'?
i can definitely say that i've "overmapped", but what if the song is just over the top bs? the map needs to get to that level of over the top bs feeling. It's really hard to match that intensity without being sht though, so it just turns bad?

i don't really know where i'm going with this.
WitherMite

Kataru wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

i can definitely say that i've "overmapped", but what if the song is just over the top bs? the map needs to get to that level of over the top bs feeling. It's really hard to match that intensity without being sht though, so it just turns bad?

if the song has over the top intensity then over the top mapping wouldn't be overmapping, it could be poorly done yea, but its possible to make really hard maps good.
Theres two kinds of overmapping, putting objects where there isn't any corresponding sound which is objective overmapping (this isnt always bad though, a lot of maps have overmapped triples for example) and making the map harder than the song warrants, which is more subjective.
[[[[[[

WitherMite wrote:

Kataru wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

if the song has over the top intensity then over the top mapping wouldn't be overmapping, it could be poorly done yea, but its possible to make really hard maps good.
Theres two kinds of overmapping, putting objects where there isn't any corresponding sound which is objective overmapping (this isnt always bad though, a lot of maps have overmapped triples for example) and making the map harder than the song warrants, which is more subjective.
the later one is called overdone, overmapping is for mapping on no sound only