forum

[Archived] FPS drops during song.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AyuzawaMisakii
Problem Details:
I have a GTX 765M for a notebook as my GPU. I do not see an issue with FPS in any other game I play, however when I play OSU I have major FPS drops during game. The start menu after you open the game, i have a steady 120 FPS with 120 FPS cap on, but once in game, it drops to 60-70 fps during a song. This causes a lag in the game and I miss the notes and is an issue to play with because in fast maps, the lag makes me miss 3-4 notes and hard for me to recover. I looked up this issue, some results saying I need to update my graphics driver. I went to nvidia driver site and looked for my product and downloaded and updated the driver and the problem still occurs. I don't know what is causing this or how to fix it.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
I have no video sorry :(.

osu! version: 20131113.2 (latest)
chong601

AyuzawaMisakii wrote:

Problem Details:
I have a GTX 765M for a notebook as my GPU. I do not see an issue with FPS in any other game I play, however when I play OSU I have major FPS drops during game. The start menu after you open the game, i have a steady 120 FPS with 120 FPS cap on, but once in game, it drops to 60-70 fps during a song. This causes a lag in the game and I miss the notes and is an issue to play with because in fast maps, the lag makes me miss 3-4 notes and hard for me to recover. I looked up this issue, some results saying I need to update my graphics driver. I went to nvidia driver site and looked for my product and downloaded and updated the driver and the problem still occurs. I don't know what is causing this or how to fix it.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
I have no video sorry :(.

osu! version: 20131113.2 (latest)
Is this happening recently or since the first install?
chong601
Bump for reply from the user...
Marcin
I think if the user doesn't reply, that means he/she doesn't care about getting this resolved then.
chong601

Marcin wrote:

I think if the user doesn't reply, that means he/she doesn't care about getting this resolved then.
or just probably because his/her post is buried 2 pages in...
Rukaru
I have same problem here. my GPU is GT 720M though and I use unlimited (in game) fps.
occurs randomly, I can't say how to replicate it.

I use win 8 pro btw.
chong601

raheta_adi wrote:

I have same problem here. my GPU is GT 720M though and I use unlimited (in game) fps.
occurs randomly, I can't say how to replicate it.

I use win 8 pro btw.
What framerate you get now?
Rukaru
uh...at first, around 500-700 fps and then drop around 32-90 fps.
chong601

raheta_adi wrote:

uh...at first, around 500-700 fps and then drop around 32-90 fps.
Are you running osu! on battery? If not, what power plan are you using now? If you are using Balanced, try switching to High Performance...
Rukaru
I tried both (on battery, and plugged in high performance) but still....
chox_old
dont use unlimited
it heats up your gpu without any real need, it's placebo
just use 120 fps instead and you wont get drops
chong601

raheta_adi wrote:

I tried both (on battery, and plugged in high performance) but still....
There is a solution but works best in Intel, but Nvidia works as well...
Open Power Options, click on the "Change plan settings" on the current selected power plan, then click "Change advanced power settings".
Then find "PCI Express" and expand it. After expand it, expand "Link State Power Management". After that, set both on battery and plugged in to "Off".
This forces the PCI Express to give full power even without load, but will drain the battery faster(marginally)...

chox wrote:

dont use unlimited
I know your meaning but that is the only way to get smooth Taiko movement....
Rukaru
I think it works but I'll run some test to make sure.
thank you.

I use this setting.

chox wrote:

dont use unlimited
well, you're right. but it's hard to play without unlimited fps. just like chong601 says.
chong601

raheta_adi wrote:

I think it works but I'll run some test to make sure.
thank you.

I use this setting.

chox wrote:

dont use unlimited
well, you're right. but it's hard to play without unlimited fps. just like chong601 says.
You're welcome....
If this works, you can now switch back to the original power plan and set the exact setting you use on the High Performance...
Rukaru
ah....the setting works fine. I can play without having fps drop.
resolved (for my case)
chong601

raheta_adi wrote:

ah....the setting works fine. I can play without having fps drop.
resolved (for my case)
Nice to hear that...
Okrios
SOLUTION.

I had the same problem so I checked the Nvidia control panel (right click on desktop, 3D settings), and set everything to global settings, as some features were randomly turned on (Dunno how). Once I turned these features off and hit apply, the game started running normally once again. :)
xcy-7
I have a desktop pc with a GTX 770 when i play i usually have around 2000 fps, but sometimes the games frames drops(or it just looks like it). Both fraps and Osu!s in game frame counter says 2000 fps but it isnt smooth. This doesnt happen all the tim ethough. Sometimes i can play it stabily at 2000 fps in 1080p borderless but as im writing this i was having issues in windowed 1600x900
Akum4tion
I use 60FPS (VSync) and when playing, it drops down to around 10FPS. I tried changing to 120FPS but no changes.
Lussi

Okrios wrote:

SOLUTION.

I had the same problem so I checked the Nvidia control panel (right click on desktop, 3D settings), and set everything to global settings, as some features were randomly turned on (Dunno how). Once I turned these features off and hit apply, the game started running normally once again. :)

THANKS! This worked for me QAQ ♥♥
AnimePvP
I have a GTX 980 ti I get like 2000fps but recently I have been getting very laggy gameplays I dont know what the problem is
Pawsu
Make a new thread for your problem, bumping an archived thread will not help.
Edepol

chox wrote:

dont use unlimited
What makes you think that the difference between 120 fps and as he said '500-700 fps' is just placebo?

The higher the FPS the lower the input lag, no matter what the refresh rate of the monitor is.
Death
Please do not bump old archived threads. That post is from 4 years ago.