forum

Mania - Tips/advice/guides for charting 4Key?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DxmineTheSour
I want to get into charting, like really really badly.
But the thing is, I only know the bare bone basics, set BPM, add notes.

I want to widen my skills in charting, learn patterns, or tips and tricks for making my beatmaps be more fun to play and more logical for the song i'm charting

What I know so far:

-Setting BPM, artist, difficulties, and other song information
-Some patterns, along with some basic ideas of "heavier instrumentals = more notes" for emphasizing the instruments
-Double, Triple, and Quad notes can be used to really sell a "dramatic" part of a song, or a heavy drum hit
-SliderVelocity (Although i'm not too good at it)
-I've studied a good few existing beatmaps of various difficulties to learn what I know so far, but I am still somewhat uneducated on some things

What I want to learn:

-How to make it to where the BPM isn't "specified" until the song actually starts playing, for songs that start silent or without drums.
-Tips for making fun and enjoyable charts for any difficulty, easy, hard and everything in between
-Patterns, and what they can be used for in songs, or what they represent in terms of instruments
-How to avoid overcharting or undercharting
-Planning the difficulty of a song before it's done being charted, which somewhat ties into the overcharting / undercharting thing.
-Possible advanced charting advice or techniques

I've tried finding osu!mania exclusive guides for charting on YouTube, but I couldn't find any, if anyone has their own guides, tips, tricks, or has found guides on YouTube or even the forum, please share them with me, thank you!
WhateverComic07
I don't map much mania, so I can't really give tips, but I can tell you that the bpm is always specified, because even if you set the bpm at an offset, the beginning will match the bpm of the first red tic. Just a limitation of how the editor works, there must be a set bpm at all times.
Stomiks
Study good mapper's maps. Try to understand on "why did they do this particular thing in the map?" and you'll slowly understand and implement them on your own maps. Just don't completely emulate a mapper's style as you'll probably get called out for it.

One thing I did was to just make a map, and go to modding queues to have someone take a look at your map. This is great since they'll be able to point out what's wrong with your map and give ways on how you could improve it.