forum

May I use Audacity to change the bitrate of an audio, for the sake of meeting the ranking criteria?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Indomi-chan
Such as Abel - Repentance (mapped by me). The audio bitrate is 64 kbps, may I use Audacity to change the bitrate of an mp3 file?

The main question is, will it be ranked?
Petal
no, the audio quality itself is still going to be capped at 64 kbps even if you change the bitrate to 192, the logic here is that we're not upscaling/upgrading the audio quality, we're just changing the bitrate here to 192kbps which does nothing to help the original 64kbps audio file.

What you need to do is to look for a better audio file to begin with, simply changing the number via audacity doesn't do anything. You can however downscale an audio file for example from 320kbps -> to a rankable 192kbps, never the other way around.
Zelzatter Zero
If it's the highest quality possible, keep it as is. Audacity (or any audio DAW in general) is to reserve to decode the bitrate down, not up. Increasing the bitrate is unrankable, and even if the otherwise is true, you wouldn't improve the audio that way either. You can't get the information if doesn't even exist.
Topic Starter
Indomi-chan
I got it from the Pump It Up UCS website, and the audio is 64 kbps. I want it to be ranked so badly.
Zelzatter Zero
That site's audio files are clearly for preview only. I'd suggest taking more time to do some more research to trace down to official sites where you could find way better quality audio files there.

For the song you mapped in particular, I've found the song's SoundCloud page where you can obviously hear the difference in terms of quality. You can go from there and contact them.
Topic Starter
Indomi-chan
It's the official website
Zelzatter Zero
And the link I've put is the song's soundcloud page uploaded by the original composer. Between two official sources, you should opt for the one that will be likely to get you the highest quality possible, as stated by the Ranking Criteria:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

The audio file of a beatmap must...
  1. ...use the .mp3 or .ogg file format.
  2. ...have an average bit rate no greater than 192 kbps.
  3. ...have an average bit rate no lower than 128 kbps, if such a source exists. Otherwise, use the highest quality available.
  4. ...not be encoded upwards from a lower bitrate.
Topic Starter
Indomi-chan
Oh okay, thanks then, btw that user uploaded the greater quality version
Topic Starter
Indomi-chan

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

And the link I've put is the song's soundcloud page uploaded by the original composer. Between two official sources, you should opt for the one that will be likely to get you the highest quality possible, as stated by the Ranking Criteria:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

The audio file of a beatmap must...
  1. ...use the .mp3 or .ogg file format.
  2. ...have an average bit rate no greater than 192 kbps.
  3. ...have an average bit rate no lower than 128 kbps, if such a source exists. Otherwise, use the highest quality available.
  4. ...not be encoded upwards from a lower bitrate.
So, is this beatmap mp3 encoded from a lower bitrate, as it is 128 kbps? beatmapsets/1119298#mania/2370809 Note that this is not made by me.
Topic Starter
Indomi-chan
bump
rrex

THETM wrote:

So, is this beatmap mp3 encoded from a lower bitrate, as it is 128 kbps? beatmapsets/1119298#mania/2370809 Note that this is not made by me.
That map does use a 128kbps mp3, though the SoundCloud link has a higher resolution version so I don't see any harm in just using that.
Zelzatter Zero
128kbps ain't unrankable, anything lower than that is, unless you could not find higher bitrate from the source materials.