forum

A good mechanical keyboard for osu! - help

posted
Total Posts
show more
unkempt
I am using the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (not 2013) with Blue switches and they are pretty decent in my opinion. I can stream with those pretty fast and the clicking sound helps me to keep the beat. It's doing very good for typing in other games so it's not a pure "osu! keyboard". :D But it's pretty expensive though.
Zare
Play Count: 100

tbh you shouldn't think about buying any kind of mech yet, at least not if it's only for osu!, you should play more and decide later whether it's worth the money
Topic Starter
Vertius

Zarerion wrote:

Play Count: 100

tbh you shouldn't think about buying any kind of mech yet, at least not if it's only for osu!, you should play more and decide later whether it's worth the money
I knew somebody will look at it, but Its just the account, i was and i am playing mostly without being logged in. I'm playing osu for much more time, than it says ( I mean the play count is much higher). :D
I'm using this account just for downloading maps and posting at forum :D.
I dont want to ruin my accuracy, so im waiting till i'll be able to do 93-94+ % at Insanes, and because im tryharding 170-180 BPM at the moment (80-85% accuracy), so that's why im playing without being logged in.
Btw. I dont know if i should play without being logged in, i know im not getting play count, ranks etc, but i thought that it's not possible to get 95+ accuracy later, after i'll get better at this game, if i'll have like 1000 maps played with 80% accuracy i'll be stuck in 80-85% accuracy. What do you think? (a little offtopic i know). :D
TakuMii
The accuracy on your profile is currently only affected by scores that earn you PP. So until ppv2 comes out (which will count all of your scores), your accuracy on your profile will be higher than your true accuracy (or lower if you're playing old/unpopular maps) because it'll mainly consist of top500 scores.
eltee
Honestly I wouldn't recommend linear switches unless you're planning to do nothing but play osu or other games on your board. I think I might prefer typing on a good membrane over red switches. One day you won't be playing osu anymore, you'll wish you had tactile/firmer keys (of course you could always just buy another one)

Also, unless you use the numpad a lot, like for entering in spreadsheets or something like that, I would suggest going tenkeyless (87key). You'll be glad you did.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... ying_guide
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... dedsellers
http://www.reddit.com/s/http://www.redd ... or_reviews
jesse1412

eltee wrote:

Honestly I wouldn't recommend linear switches unless you're planning to do nothing but play osu or other games on your board. I think I might prefer typing on a good membrane over red switches. One day you won't be playing osu anymore, you'll wish you had tactile/firmer keys (of course you could always just buy another one)

Also, unless you use the numpad a lot, like for entering in spreadsheets or something like that, I would suggest going tenkeyless (87key). You'll be glad you did.

Membranes feel like typing on an abortion after a week with a mech.
thelewa
it does feel as squishy, yes
eltee

jesus1412 wrote:

eltee wrote:

Membranes feel like typing on an abortion after a week with a mech.
There are different grades of membranes, obviously, and I have typed on ones that I find preferable to reds, because it's just too easy to accidentally hit other keys on reds when you're going fast (that's probably also because I'm not used to them).

That said, I own three mech boards but not any reds, so I haven't done any significant typing on reds, just testing on other people's boards/boards at a store, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
thelewa
Reds are easy to type on, provided you know how to actually type. And by 'actually type' I mean knowing how to type without looking at the keys. Reds are the worst kind of switch for people who still struggle to remember where the keys are.

Otherwise, they're pretty much the best for people who lack the finesse to not bottom-out their keys while typing
Topic Starter
Vertius
I read your comments and I think I'll buy CM Storm Quickfire (TK,Rapid or Pro - don't know yet) but don't know which switches will be the best. Referring to what thelewa said, I haven't got a problem with typing without looking at the keyboard, but I think I'm rather bottoming keys out than just clicking, so I don't know if Reds will be good or not. Still I can't decide between Browns, Reds and Blacks. They're similar I think, but I'm looking for a keyboard which will be universal (Useful after I'll stop playing OSU! and other games). The sad thing is that i've never used a mechanical keyboard, so I can't make a comparison.
eltee

thelewa wrote:

Reds are easy to type on, provided you know how to actually type. And by 'actually type' I mean knowing how to type without looking at the keys. Reds are the worst kind of switch for people who still struggle to remember where the keys are.

Otherwise, they're pretty much the best for people who lack the finesse to not bottom-out their keys while typing
Opinions, I guess. I type on things like blues and buckling springs, so reds feels imprecise and like mush to me
iSpR1Te

Vertius wrote:

I read your comments and I think I'll buy CM Storm Quickfire (TK,Rapid or Pro - don't know yet) but don't know which switches will be the best. Referring to what thelewa said, I haven't got a problem with typing without looking at the keyboard, but I think I'm rather bottoming keys out than just clicking, so I don't know if Reds will be good or not. Still I can't decide between Browns, Reds and Blacks. They're similar I think, but I'm looking for a keyboard which will be universal (Useful after I'll stop playing OSU! and other games). The sad thing is that i've never used a mechanical keyboard, so I can't make a comparison.
If you like to bottom out then I would buy either reds or blacks. For the average typer reds aren't that bad to type on unless you are planning on typing really fast. Which then blues or browns would be good because it is easy to touch type on.

If you want to try all the switches at the same time you can buy one of these....
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard ... r-kit.html
Topic Starter
Vertius
Damn, I thought for quite long about the switches, I rejected Browns and Blues, but I can't decide between Blacks and Reds.
I read some topics like:
t/161153
t/92602
but its still not enough, because some people say that Blacks > Reds, and some say that Reds > Blacks.
Is there a big difference between them? If it is so which are better ones? It would been great if somebody who owns blacks/reds would say something about them.
jesse1412

Vertius wrote:

Damn, I thought for quite long about the switches, I rejected Browns and Blues, but I can't decide between Blacks and Reds.
I read some topics like:
t/161153
t/92602
but its still not enough, because some people say that Blacks > Reds, and some say that Reds > Blacks.
Is there a big difference between them? If it is so which are better ones? It would been great if somebody who owns blacks/reds would say something about them.
I own both and I prefer blacks for osu! I'll admit that blacks require a lot of effort at first, you'll certainly notice that everything requires more effort BUT you'll build stamina way faster using them. I can stream much faster on my black switches and I believe it's because they keys pop back up with more force and essentially stick to your fingers. I used to be able to stream for longer using reds but now that's changed. My stamina improved with blacks.

I might be a little biased, I started with black switches so maybe that's why I prefer them but I spent a good 4 months or so using reds and even after that I still streamed faster on blacks. If you smash your key hard enough the only difference is that blacks will flick back up with more force.

Really I'd go with either but blacks are nicer to use in general in my opinion.
Soulg
Where are blues at, compared to reds/blacks? (I assume I have blues, whatever black widow is) On the fence over whether or not I'd like to buy a new keyboard, mainly looking for one that improves stream speed/stamina (main reason I wanted reds, that and CM Storm is $20 cheaper than anything else ive found)
jesse1412

Soulg wrote:

Where are blues at, compared to reds/blacks? (I assume I have blues, whatever black widow is) On the fence over whether or not I'd like to buy a new keyboard, mainly looking for one that improves stream speed/stamina (main reason I wanted reds, that and CM Storm is $20 cheaper than anything else ive found)
I have no idea.
TakuMii

Soulg wrote:

The BlackWidow uses Blues, the BlackWidow Stealth uses Browns.
As for the switch comparison, the force needed to actuate a Blue switch is somewhere halfway between Reds and Blacks (closer towards Blacks) but the tactile click really changes how the keys feel. You'd have to try a keyboard with linear switches to truly feel the difference.
ishiie14
Not really sure how this color thing works. Is it for one certain Keyboard or any keyboard in general. I have a Corsair Vengeance k70 Black Cherry MX Red. Does that mean it's good for streaming?
Noobsicle

ishiie14 wrote:

Not really sure how this color thing works. Is it for one certain Keyboard or any keyboard in general. I have a Corsair Vengeance k70 Black Cherry MX Red. Does that mean it's good for streaming?
all you need to know here: http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/custom ... oard-guide

basically cherry mx reds are the lightest switches, so they're pretty much the best for osu!
NoYzE
I have a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 with blue switches.
I really like it.
After i bought it, i found out that rrtyui is using a Blackwidow too, so it must be good for osu^^
Icyteru
Technically yes, but you'll probably see more improvement by playing on a membrane until you reach its physical cap, and then switching to mechanical. Think of it running with 10kg weight for a year, and then running without. You'll have the stamina and the speed for top-tier streaming
Xyrax Alaria

[AirCoN] wrote:

Black. Better for typing than red.

Red. Faster to stream than black.

Blue. Nope.

Brown. Meh.

Green/White/Clear. Hf with that.
idk I use Blues and love them for Osu!
Myke B
The necro is strong with these ones. 3 months is old for a post, right lol?
Heinzen

Xyrax Alaria wrote:

[AirCoN] wrote:

Black. Better for typing than red.

Red. Faster to stream than black.

Blue. Nope.

Brown. Meh.

Green/White/Clear. Hf with that.
idk I use Blues and love them for Osu!

I used to play with blues and switched to reds. Gotta say that I got lazy with reds cause blues actually helped with developing endurance.

I'd probably suggest doing the same, start with blues to develop stamina and then move to black or reds.
TakuMii
TBH, this is what I think (and what a lot of websites seem to categorize them as):

Blue: Better for typing, not as good for gaming (compared to the other switches). In osu!, good for accuracy and bad for streaming.

Black: A more gaming-oriented switch. More feedback, but more tiring on the fingers (if you have viking stamina these might help you stream faster)

Red: Also gaming-oriented. Super light, you can probably stream for days without getting tired. But the lightness means that it can cause accidental keypresses.

Brown: A nice compromise between Blue and Red. Tactile for better typing/slight accuracy boost, super light for a stamina boost.

Green: Nope. They're like stiffer Blues, probably nice for typing but probably not for gaming.

Clear/White: I doubt you'd be able to even find keyboards with these switches these days. I've heard that they're kinda like some sort of crossbreed between Greens and Browns (stiffer than Blues but not as clicky).
Noobsicle

Myke B wrote:

doesn't really matter since the same thread pops up once every while now anyways

at least this thread has some information about mechanical key switches and what players think of them :>
Jafem
I am also planning on buying a mechanical keyboard. I am planning on buying brown switches. I would say it has only to do with personal preference.

If you want smooth all the way down the keypress then go for red. no feedback
If you want to a feel a bump in the middle of the keypress then go for brown.
And if you want a key that clicks a lot then go for black or blue. Note that black or blue has a lot of feedback.
Noobsicle
black has the same linear feel as red, it's just ~60g actuation force, whereas reds are ~45g
Myke B

Noobsicle wrote:

Myke B wrote:

doesn't really matter since the same thread pops up once every while now anyways

at least this thread has some information about mechanical key switches and what players think of them :>
I guess lol :3