forum

Paid Music?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xelasto
What's Osu's view on using paid music for maps?

I wanted to map a song (called "Traverse") from the Featured Artist "KOAN Sound" but unfortunately it's missing from the featured artist page. When I looked on Bandcamp I saw you had to pay for it.

1. Is it allowed to map paid for mp3's? I mean, you can listen to the song on youtube for free, but my guess is that because it's a paid mp3, and you can take the mp3 off of downloaded maps, it's not allowed, but I want to confirm anyways.

2. What about songs that are not on the featured artist page but free? Another one of KOAN Sound's songs, "Intercept" is free to get off Bandcamp, but not available on the featured artist page. Is this usable for maps?

Thanks!
Eni
Whether a song is free or not doesn't give you the right to redistribute it on osu! in the form of a beatmap. Although most artists don't mind their songs being on osu!, they (and/or their label) have control over how their work is distributed, so you'll need permission from the artist/label if you want to avoid a DMCA.
lewski

Xelasto wrote:

What's Osu's view
it's very simple:

Rules wrote:

Make sure you have permission to use any content involved in your beatmap.
kingerman88
Most of the times, artists have business emails. To be safe, just shoot them an email and wait to see what they say