forum

No more screwing up combos all thanks to fps loss [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
bagnz0r
Pause in case of large fps loss in short time (even by 5 frames, in 350ms) - this could prevent people with older machines from failing because of fps loss.
aRiskOfRain
+1, as long as you can set the option of the amount of framerate lag before pausing.
Gemi
Hmm, I'd be intereted in seeing if this would actually solve the problem with sudden lag spikes. If peppy sees this as a good idea then I'd like to see if it helps, but I can understand if this isn't a desired feature for him.
peppy
This doesn't really make sense... when you get "lag" osu! is losing control on its main thread. Unless I was to poll activity on a second thread and control audio separately (which would involve a lot of synchronisation and performance overhead) this would simply not be possible. I don't see it as being a good idea or solution.
anonymous_old
This could be easily exploited for cheating purposes. (Basically slow-mo like in DOSBOX and other emulators.)
Topic Starter
bagnz0r
Something should be done about it nonetheless. ;]
@up: Yeah but i'd like to see your rage when you've lost 1256 combo because of *lag*.
anonymous_old
Is input properly recorded during the lag, though? (Only lag I've experienced was during AutoPilot with sliders and spinners taking too long graphically. I could still hit notes fine if I knew them, even during the lag.)
mm201

peppy wrote:

This doesn't really make sense... when you get "lag" osu! is losing control on its main thread. Unless I was to poll activity on a second thread and control audio separately (which would involve a lot of synchronisation and performance overhead) this would simply not be possible. I don't see it as being a good idea or solution.
If you have a frame counter and a realtime clock, you can approximate an "instantaneous" frame rate.

I don't really agree with this idea, though. I don't see a sudden lunge/rewind helping the player in any way and it could be exploited for cheating.

strager wrote:

Is input properly recorded during the lag, though? (Only lag I've experienced was during AutoPilot with sliders and spinners taking too long graphically. I could still hit notes fine if I knew them, even during the lag.)
No, it isn't, but you do have a point. The player will normally continue playing during lag and only miss because of the input lock.

If input was monitored in a separate thread, so small that it would be effectively immune to lag, this would solve most problems.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

If input was monitored in a separate thread, so small that it would be effectively immune to lag, this would solve most problems.
If the entire system lags (e.g. some retarded thread is stealing all your cycles) the input thread perhaps won't do much good unless it were of a high priority (which I'm not sure you can do with non-admin processes/threads).
mm201
Sometimes, yes, but often it's just a particular resource / reference that's locked and the thread is waiting on it.
awp
Soultion: fix your machine's envirnment

if your machine is older than 6 years, upgrade

if you can't afford an upgrade (60 dollars is probably enough), stop making demands and appreciate what you're getting for free

griiiiiiiinch
FurukawaPan
I wonder if putting the input polling into a separate higher priority thread would allow for clicks to be registered during an instance of lag. Though I must admit, with the newest version of osu! something with the threading has changed. Annoyingly long laggy sequences are definitely occurring *much* less often than in even the version that was current a few weeks ago. I think it's been recently optimized.

Though, what would be really nice is if Microsoft actually fixed windows so that the odd occasional 1/2 second freeze up was not the norm while running games.
Echo
You could give osu! a higher process priority.
anonymous_old

Echo wrote:

Wouldn't that make things worse? =S
mm201

strager wrote:

Echo wrote:

Wouldn't that make things worse? =S
I've always found this. Deadlocks always seem to result whenever you mess with anything's priority.
Gabi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
CheeseWarlock
If there's anyway to do something along these lines (I like the "input polling in its own thread" idea best) without a significant increase in overhead, then sure, I'm in favour of it. Otherwise, I'd rather keep osu! running light on system resources.

And I don't know what you guys are talking about. I never get this sort of lag; osu! runs at a smooth 60fps, the same as my monitor's refresh rate, never dropping below 59 (until my laptop overheats, but that's a different problem, and I can't expect osu! to solve that for me). Either your computer sucks, or you have too many other programs running.
Gemi

CheeseWarlock wrote:

And I don't know what you guys are talking about. I never get this sort of lag; osu! runs at a smooth 60fps, the same as my monitor's refresh rate, never dropping below 59 (until my laptop overheats, but that's a different problem, and I can't expect osu! to solve that for me). Either your computer sucks, or you have too many other programs running.
Seems to be quite common tbh to get very very short lag spikes, which sadly mess up your combo in osu. And for the record, I'm mainly using a computer more than capable of running osu, and I have my process list sorted out with nothing in there that I could get rid of. I've learned to live with it, but any solution would of course be nice.

Does osu monitor the fps correctly in these lag situations? If osu notices the spike then this feature could be a solution, even though quite a messy one.
Topic Starter
bagnz0r

awp wrote:

Soultion: fix your machine's envirnment

if your machine is older than 6 years, upgrade

if you can't afford an upgrade (60 dollars is probably enough), stop making demands and appreciate what you're getting for free

griiiiiiiinch
My machine is 2 years old, upgraded this year. (better CPU cooling, more ram and better graphics)
peppy
Locked before this gets out of hand.

All I can suggest if you get lag on a decent system is to try opengl for a bit and see if it helps. If it does, please report this to me. I know of a few areas of the code that may cause lockups wrt. GPU activity, which will be avoided in opengl mode. Any lag beyond this is likely not at osu!'s end.