forum

Differences between low star and high star maps.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Quozmox
Hello!

I'm actually a brand new modder and have done a few mods on low diff maps but some of my info doesn't seem to go through. I was thinking that low diff maps should have a very easy and predictable flow to them. In my opinion, all 2 star maps are so similar to each other. But when I call out a part that doesn't flow or something I see as abnormal, one of the players said he didn't want to stack things because they wanted the gap on their mapset between the 2* and 3* diff to be close in difficulty.

Here is the map beatmapsets/1830867#osu/3766426.

I'm just a little confused on whether I'm helping or hindering him, he denied most of my suggestions so I'm thinking it may be a problem with how I view two star maps. Thanks a lot! :)
JustABeginner
As long as the difficulty plays out as normal difficulty - the spacing is all equivalent mostly, no 1/4 rhythms and spike difficulties, it should be alright.
Eni
As a modder, you should prioritize mods based on the difficulty-specific ranking criteria. Avoid subjective mods that aim to change the style of the map. "Intersubjective issues" are issues that mappers generally consider problematic but aren't covered in the Ranking Criteria. Two examples would be monotonous circular movement and lack of directional change in the map.

JustABeginner has the right idea, however it is much more useful to simply read the Ranking Criteria. Spacing does not need to be equivalent, 1/4 can be used (especially at low BPM), and drastic increases in difficulty are often used relative to song intensity.

For more information, read Making a mod post. You may also be interested in Electoz's Modding Guide.
Zelzatter Zero
Also learn to accept the mapper's deny, they have their own stance and opinion as well so there's possibility they would not fix the issue you pointed out, especially when it actually hinders the concept they went for.
xKongou
based on my 6 months of modding lower diffs, there are a couple of things that makes low diffs a chore and rarely people wanna mod it

-. Distance Snap are crucial (well most mappers including me treat them loosely for normal)
-. overlaps because of distance snap are allowed, however overlaps because of object's placement are not because the head and the tail of sliders and circle looks identical
-. for hard difficulty, maximum usage of 1/4 bursts are 3 (5 usually debatable)
-. the average settings are:
HP drain and OD 3 - 4 AR 5 CS 3 - 3.5
-. for normal difficulty, the maximum 1/2 beat gap only stacks 5 times (that's why someone reminds me on my map you've shown
-. if you don't have an external modding help thing such as maps verifier to determine maps' density, you have to judge whether a part are too dense or too weak by analyzing the number of objects counted and (sometimes) spacing
-. most (if not all) low difficulties focus exclusively on vocal mapping (i'd like to call it basic rhythm composition)
-. filler rhythms (something like the blue highlight i've pointed are allowed under certain circumstances (like supporting the intensity of a part from the map or to keep gameplay interesting or to increase intensity after a long chain of consecutive 1-beat-gap rhythms)
-. flows are subjective ( as long as it's understandable and doesn't cause confusion)
-. diff. specific RC can get you covered if you wanna more concise and detailed things to do (i'm just summarizing it) or watch this if you're concerned abt your low difficulty's judgement
Topic Starter
Quozmox

xKongou wrote:

based on my 6 months of modding lower diffs, there are a couple of things that makes low diffs a chore and rarely people wanna mod it

-. Distance Snap are crucial (well most mappers including me treat them loosely for normal)
-. overlaps because of distance snap are allowed, however overlaps because of object's placement are not because the head and the tail of sliders and circle looks identical
-. for hard difficulty, maximum usage of 1/4 bursts are 3 (5 usually debatable)
-. the average settings are:
HP drain and OD 3 - 4 AR 5 CS 3 - 3.5
-. for normal difficulty, the maximum 1/2 beat gap only stacks 5 times (that's why someone reminds me on my map you've shown
-. if you don't have an external modding help thing such as maps verifier to determine maps' density, you have to judge whether a part are too dense or too weak by analyzing the number of objects counted and (sometimes) spacing
-. most (if not all) low difficulties focus exclusively on vocal mapping (i'd like to call it basic rhythm composition)
-. filler rhythms (something like the blue highlight i've pointed are allowed under certain circumstances (like supporting the intensity of a part from the map or to keep gameplay interesting or to increase intensity after a long chain of consecutive 1-beat-gap rhythms)
-. flows are subjective ( as long as it's understandable and doesn't cause confusion)
-. diff. specific RC can get you covered if you wanna more concise and detailed things to do (i'm just summarizing it) or watch this if you're concerned abt your low difficulty's judgement
thx :)