forum

[Archived] Brief and also consistent black flicker on songs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
thinking
during the beginning of a map (where in the beginning of the map depends on the map itself), my screen flickers black for a split second before returning back to normal (accompanied by brief fps drop). this flicker always happens at the same exact part of the map. based on the example vid i linked, i imagine it has to do with me alt tabbing?

example vid: https://youtu.be/DCaeDaMkIsg (look at 0:11 and 0:54)

osu! version: Stable 20220424 (latest)
Death
Can you post a link to the beatmap in your video?
Topic Starter
thinking
Death
Thanks. Do you have the storyboard enabled? If you do, can you try disabling it to see if that helps?
Topic Starter
thinking
it seems like storyboards are already disabled for me, but i tested with and without storyboards, and the problem is the same.

i should also add, this black stuttering stops happening after the first instance (i can play that same map multiple times with no interruptions), but only as long as i dont alt tab, as whenever i do, it ends up happening again.
Death
Does this happen on every map or is it just a select few?

Can you try enabling "Compatibility mode"? I'm curious to see if that makes a difference.
Topic Starter
thinking
i tested with some more maps, and it seems like this black flickering happens at the beginning of all of them.

compatibility mode fixes the black flicker issue thankfully, although there is some weird behavior whenever i alt tab back into osu (example: https://youtu.be/KwfyXC2ePwA). in the video, whenever i alt tab back in, the map background seems to shift back into place, and in some instances, even forces me out of the client without any input from me
Death
Yeah, that alt+tabbing issue is pretty common compatibility mode unfortunately. An issue was made for it here, so it's known, but not likely to be fixed any time soon.

However, If compatibility mode works and you were not experiencing this issue before, it may be worthwhile to try updating or reinstalling your graphics card drivers. That might fix the issue and allow you to disable compatibility mode again.
Jet-
Were you ever able to resolve this issue? I recently bought an RX 6800 to try and I've started having this issue as well, where the screen would flicker to black and return to normal after loading a map for the first time. Retrying afterwards on the same map would not have the issue anymore.
dalesama

Jet- wrote:

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? I recently bought an RX 6800 to try and I've started having this issue as well, where the screen would flicker to black and return to normal after loading a map for the first time. Retrying afterwards on the same map would not have the issue anymore.
Try turning off full-screen optimization and running osu! as administrator.
If that doesn't work then try using AMD Adrenalin drivers before 22.7.1. Not sure (probably doesn't) but the recent OpenGL optimization might've caused the flickering issue at the start of a map.
DeletedUser_14543996
I don't know if you have solved your problem, however I had a very simmilar problem. Difference being that in my case the black flicker was always on the very begining of each map. I have fixed the problem by running the compatibility mode, restarting osu, then turning compatibility off. I also ran the repair osu program thats stored in the osu folder, but that looked like did nothing. If you still experience this problem maybe turning compatibility for a brief moment could fix it for you. Also sorry to be over 8 months late hahah.
TheS4mucas
i think i found out how to fix it, i turned off the amd anti lag on amd driver and disable full screen optimization