How do you really improve at streaming?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
beeboy123
I want this to be a helpful thread not.

Pratice

Buy Mechkeyboard
I know you said not to say this but practice is the only way.
kriers
Please, take what advice that you can get from here and there. Look at old threads, listen to discussions in IRC and most of all don't blame people for telling you to practice.

I could tell so many things about streaming, however your attitude is bad and this OP is a joke.
Fahe
If practicing is out of the question, I'd say patience.

Or you can call it practicing on the long run.
iSpR1Te

kriers wrote:

...take what advice that you can get from here and there. Look at old threads, listen to discussions in IRC...
This is exactly what I did to get tips on streaming. Also, I looked at high ranked player's ask.fm.

But at the end of the day it just come down to a lot of practice especially if you are not a natural streamer like l am. (i mean TON OF PRACTICE)
WindyExplorer
i say it just takes getting a style of yourself everybody can stream to there own style theres ppl with keyboards this way fingers jumping around and stuff, personally i hate streaming and i still suck at it but over the time of just doing songs that i like with streams u start to get the hang of it. streaming comes like most said practice thats your bread and butter to this thing in OSU.

now u can say u dont like ppl telling u practice and stuff but how else u think u would learn ? my way of doing most fast maps with taps and double and triple taps is the beat not really the circles themselfs so find something that works for u in your style of streaming and go with it .
AmaiHachimitsu
GoldenWolf

beeboy123 wrote:

I want this to be a helpful thread not.
Pratice
Buy Mechkeyboard
I know you said not to say this but practice is the only way.
Yes, all the pro players in this game has a secret dust that make them pro but they won't share any with you because you're not the chosen one, sorry!
jesse1412
buny

jesus1412 wrote:

lul'd pretty hard
Topic Starter
beeboy123
I would just like to say I do practice maps revolved around streaming im just saying most of the threads dedicated to streaming just turn into shit threads about people saying just practice streaming than quoting each other about it.
buny

beeboy123 wrote:

I would just like to say I do practice maps revolved around streaming im just saying most of the threads dedicated to streaming just turn into shit threads about people saying just practice streaming than quoting each other about it.
how do you improve at streaming without practicing?
threads like these give me the vibe that the people who make threads like these are people with the mentality that they suck not because they haven't put in effort in improving, but rather because they don't have the right technique/everyone else is cheating.

they only turn into a shit thread because you're denying the inevitable way to improve which is practicing, insisting that there must be an easier way
Almost

beeboy123 wrote:

What did you expect? There isn't much more to say about improving streams other than practice. You can't expect to become Cookiezi overnight.
Topic Starter
beeboy123

buny wrote:

threads like these give me the vibe that the people who make threads like these are people with the mentality that they suck not because they haven't put in effort in improving, but rather because they don't have the right technique/everyone else is cheating.

they only turn into a shit thread because you're denying the inevitable way to improve which is practicing, insisting that there must be an easier way
I guess this thread was titled wrong. I was wondering if there was techniques such as how when your doing complicated patterns you think of it as a group of individual notes not a complicated pattern. Or you can make collections of maps revolved around what you want to learn.
Almost

beeboy123 wrote:

buny wrote:

I guess this thread was titled wrong. I was wondering if there was techniques such as how when your doing complicated patterns you think of it as a group of individual notes not a complicated pattern. Or you can make collections of maps revolved around what you want to learn.
It's called practicing from the very basics until you can play the more complex stuff.
Dexus

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

http://prohands.net/Prohands-Music/products/

hue hue I wonder if it works
They help your hands get stronger (you'll be less shaky and have better stamina), but make them faster and better at this game? No, you have to play to get better. I got a set of those and it helped me improve my stamina a bit, but only use it every 3 days or you're going to hurt your hands. To develop twitch muscles you use lighter weights at more consistent intervals (Learned this for running), so use reds and play what you can consistently pushing your limits.

Beeboy you already asked this to me, and I told you to just play. This game takes a lot of practice, there's no way around it. Want to get good at streams? Play what you can and correct what you're messing up and push your limit. Don't jump into stuff that you absolutely can't do. You wont understand what you're doing wrong and you wont be able to correct it. It takes time and dedication, but everyone here is saying this; has said this; and will continue to say this.
Gretsch
Do some searches on how to improve speed in piano playing and guess what? Same thing. Practice playing slowly and increase speed in increments so you push yourself. If that doesn't work you can always mix blue and red gatorade and pour it on your hands.
iWhorse

Almost wrote:

beeboy123 wrote:

What did you expect? There isn't much more to say about improving streams other than practice. You can't expect to become Cookiezi overnight.

yes you can

cookiezi became cookiezi overnight
buny
but he wouldn't be the cookiezi that you know that the recent cookiezi is cookiezi of today that is not the same as cookiezi of todays yesterday or tomorrows todays yesterdays cookiezi of last week
Soulg
it started like it was going to make sense then it seemed like you tried to hard

6/10
buny

Soulg wrote:

it started like it was going to make sense then it seemed like you tried to hard

6/10
it would make sense if i actually tried to.
Soulg
good point

revised to 8/10
Soarezi
Reading takes a huge part in streaming, which comes by time and practice. There are no secret ways on becoming good in streaming, when you can read streams, it'll only be a matter of time when you'll be able to stream 220+bpm constantly.
Soulg
it'll only be a matter of time when you'll be able to stream 220+bpm constantly
reading is important but it won't do shit if your fingers can't go that fast for that long, you need stamina

in addition to learning to read streams (im not trying to downplay what he said, 100% correct), figure out what bpm you can do (stream practice maps), then find maps with streams that are either A. long streams (at that number or slightly lower, to build stamina) or B. short-medium around that number (little lower to little higher), also for stamina but you'll fail more often and will feel like you arent improving.

this is a really long way of saying practice
RaneFire
So i can't quote people in this thread? Whatever.

Soarezi wrote:

Reading takes a huge part in streaming, which comes by time and practice.
This is a good point, training your muscles only gets you so far, you need to learn how to use them. To do that you need to play the game... and a lot. Whether it is reading by hearing or reading by sight, they both form a part of reading.

Here is an example:

I have noticed an improvement in my ability to distinguish fast recurring hit sounds and even COUNT them as I practiced streams. I don't actually count them out loud or in my head, but I can pretty accurately guess how many have passed and by feel.
I only learned how through practicing my accuracy and stability on slower streams, not only fast ones. I achieved my own personal goal on getting 97%+ acc FC's on all the 120-200bpm stream practice maps. (not the "long-stream practice maps" - stamina lol - 170bpm max there). And this took me more than a year to reach this point with relatively casual amounts of play, but I do cram longer sessions when I decide to "practice" something.

So practice all kinds of streams. But still, PRACTICE is the only advice you are going to get. Notice the words in bold.

Soulg wrote:

Here is a longer way.
Pettanko
I stream 10bpm faster with every bottle of 5 hour energy that I drink. One time I drank like 10 bottles and was streaming 280bpm srs.
buny

Pettanko wrote:

I stream 10bpm faster with every bottle of 5 hour energy that I drink. One time I drank like 10 bottles and was streaming 280bpm srs.
140bpm without any

nb
GoldenWolf

buny wrote:

Pettanko wrote:

140bpm without any

nb
180*
Lycanth_old
While I don't like the way kriers replied ("I know the 'answers', but I'm not going to tell you." - to be fair: he did point out where to find information on streaming), he does have a point. You seem to imply everyone who answered these questions with "practice" is lying and keeping the hidden arts to themselves or sth like that.

I think "How to properly practice streams?"/"Need help on how to practice streaming" or sth like that would sound a lot nicer to the people you are asking for help. Since as far as I could tell, everyone who did reply to your question mentioned practicing and how to do it. So saying that you understand that practice is an absolute necessity to improve at streaming and then saying that you would like some tips or rather opinions on how to actually do so would sound a lot nicer :\. (E.g.: "If you want to improve your speed/stamina/accuracy/general streaming ability, what do you play?" etc.)

I'm not trying to offend you or anything like that, just trying to point out that the way you put it, might sound offensive to some people, even though you may not have intended that at all.

Now I can't tell much about how to practice streaming, because I'm not sure if either way works (meaning that I can't tell whether the way I practiced streaming is good or not, if you want to be able to stream properly later on, because I used to get between 85 and 95% accuracy at best on streams[not taking stamina/speed problems into consideration]). So decide carefully whether this might help you or not, since it might be utter bullshit.

I spammed long stream practice maps at low bpm (in order to be able to adjust my speed, because I was constantly going too fast/slow) while using HitError (and in the beginning Autopilot as well to be able to focus on the HitError bar). After about a week of playing these I had a general grasp of different speeds which I could use for practicing on non-100%-stream maps. To increase speed I played maps with short streams (or streams with lots of repeat sliders in between e.g. dragonforce maps) that were a bit faster than I could go. Concerning stamina, I have no clue. Got some sort of RSI while trying to build up stamina ._.
vantheman
At OP only...

You need to practice but the important part is knowing what to practice.

I started a few months ago, low bpm insanes have been a blessing for me.

There's brain and there's body...
Are you missing the muscles to hit the notes that fast, your body can't do what your brain tells it to?
Or are you missing the mind power to hit on steady rhythm with steady movement, and you just spaz out?

Low bpm ones help you work on the mental part of streams. Play slow streams, play fast streams, play slow streams, play fast streams, do it everyday until you're tired, watch your own replays when you're really frustrated, and you'll figure it out. It's necessary for the player to apply some critical thinking, your ability to stream is dependent on how well you know yourself(your brain your wrists and your interface), that's why we can't really tell you any secret to how it's done, because it's up to you - but repetition is a way to get better at it if you apply some thinking.

It's a bit like asking "How do I get better at button mashing?"
There are some things that people other than yourself just can't tell you. You're probably asking the question because it's easier than confronting yourself.
jesse1412
Soulg

jesus1412 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/99612
never actually read through it until now but it's actually super helpful

thanks jesus my lord and savior
Topic Starter
beeboy123

RaneFire wrote:

So i can't quote people in this thread? Whatever.

Soarezi wrote:

Reading takes a huge part in streaming, which comes by time and practice.
This is a good point, training your muscles only gets you so far, you need to learn how to use them. To do that you need to play the game... and a lot. Whether it is reading by hearing or reading by sight, they both form a part of reading.

Here is an example:

I have noticed an improvement in my ability to distinguish fast recurring hit sounds and even COUNT them as I practiced streams. I don't actually count them out loud or in my head, but I can pretty accurately guess how many have passed and by feel.
I only learned how through practicing my accuracy and stability on slower streams, not only fast ones. I achieved my own personal goal on getting 97%+ acc FC's on all the 120-200bpm stream practice maps. (not the "long-stream practice maps" - stamina lol - 170bpm max there). And this took me more than a year to reach this point with relatively casual amounts of play, but I do cram longer sessions when I decide to "practice" something.

So practice all kinds of streams. But still, PRACTICE is the only advice you are going to get. Notice the words in bold.

Soulg wrote:

Here is a longer way.
Thanks alot !!
Farex_old
Lift weights, try new hand positions like using an armrest, not using an armrest, using a wrist rest, not using a wrist rest, etc.
And practice.
leny

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

choose like gripmaster medium 7lbs it works!
Endie-

LeninYT wrote:

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

choose like gripmaster medium 7lbs it works!
This thread is 3 years old please let it die