forum

Ring Finger

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AmaiHachimitsu
Hello guys,

I've been wondering if any of you had a problem like me, namely - my ring finger moves along with my middle finger (wow, obvious) and it keeps pushing the buttons which deconcentrates me terribly. Is there any way of dealing with this or should I just get used to it (impossibru for me)? I saw some videos of famous players and in most cases their ring finger doesn't reach the keycaps. I can raise the my ring finger only to some extent and then streaming feels easier, but I can't keep it raised for long and I lose my focus.

I hope I'm not the only one here. Also I hope there is some way out of this tricky situation.
enik

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I can raise the my ring finger only to some extent and then streaming feels easier, but I can't keep it raised for long and I lose my focus.
Did you try to raise your pinky like he does? Maybe if you play like this for a while you'll get used and it won't distract you from the gameplay. Just noticed I unconsciously do that too at some degree.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Soarezi

enik wrote:

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I can raise the my ring finger only to some extent and then streaming feels easier, but I can't keep it raised for long and I lose my focus.
Did you try to raise your pinky like he does? Maybe if you play like this for a while you'll get used and it won't distract you from the gameplay. Just noticed I unconsciously do that too at some degree.
I tried that. It actually stops my ring finger from moving, but it feels sorrt of uncomfortable o.o
Topic Starter
AmaiHachimitsu
I'm doing it all the time, singletap + fast triples is no prob, but when it comes to streaming I suddenly start pressing the keycap zzz, probably due to the hand being lowered while streaming. Cookiezi's pinky finger seems to be very umm stiff? I don't know whether I can keep this tension. I'll try anyways
enik
Another way to solve the problem: try to rotate your keyboard and bind k1k2 someway so there's no adjoined keys on the left side if your keyboard design allows you to do so (and if it's gonna be any comfortable). Also you can remove some of the keycaps, try out Left Arrow + Down Arrow and put away the Right Ctrl keycap, there should be enough space between ctrl and arrows so you don't accidently hit the ctrl switch with your ring finger and it's not like you need this key anyway.
MarioBound
Tilt you hand to the right, so that there is more distance from your finger to the keyboard.
Rawn

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I saw some videos of famous players and in most cases their ring finger doesn't reach the keycaps.
No. Look closely at WhiteWolf's finger..

Topic Starter
AmaiHachimitsu

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I saw some videos of famous players and in most cases their ring finger doesn't reach the keycaps.

most cases
Doesn't mean all. Also Wolf is using extraordinary style for streaming.
RaneFire

Rawn wrote:

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

/snip
What you should be taking note of there is his pinky finger posture. Stretching it out also stops the ring finger from moving too much, just like cramping it up or lifting it higher. You only need to reduce its movement... position is preference. Everyone's fingers, hands and pc setups are slightly different, so not everyone is going to have the same solution, but there's a chance that someone in this thread may have one that works for you. Although you probably found a solution by now.

On with that... personally, I lift my pinky finger up and outwards, and have my keyboard angled ~10 degrees clockwise, because it lets me rotate my wrist to the left for bursts, and then level it again for streams, which isn't really a conscious effort. My ring finger is only about 5-10mm above the keycaps.
Haldowan
I use ring and middle finger. We will see if I continue this style later on.
I have to say that I am a RTS player, so I used to spam 3-4-5 ring/middle/pointer quite a lot.
From the belief that it's less stressful to use ring and that the length between the 2 fingers is the closest, this choice made logical sense to me.
About streams, I've read that you need to tense up, and that you need stamina also... I haven't yet reached the point where I need it.
My accuracy being still too bad for 5 stars. But I do hope that I don't need to change anything in the future. We'll see.
winber1
i press the caps lock key a lot, and i don't give a crap so yeah.
JAKACHAN
There are exercises you can do to train all your fingers to be able to move by themselves. Have a guy who I climb with that did this to prevent injury, just look it up.
Zare
Holy shit, I only just realized I do that too when clicking. i never even noticed because I never focused on my ring finger o_o
Mizuno Yui
I have two possible scenarios happen, depending on the song:

1: My pinky goes "retard mode", pulling the ring finger up with it
2: Ring finger is curled, so it's a bit below the Windows key

Also, my keyboard is slightly tilted to the right. Maybe that's got something to do with it.
Topic Starter
AmaiHachimitsu
I removed shift keycaps and it's a bit better now lol
buny

winber1 wrote:

i press the caps lock key a lot, and i don't give a crap so yeah.
this

my caps lock has LED, so i try to hit it again because it distracts me and i usually end up missing/going horribly offbeat
MiDNiGhT2903

buny wrote:

this

my caps lock has LED, so i try to hit it again because it distracts me and i usually end up missing/going horribly offbeat
thats totally me, except mine is TAB and when I press it the scoreboard comes out.... FUUU

Doesn't mean all. Also Wolf is using extraordinary style for streaming.
How does WWW even stream like that? It's just mind blowing imho.