forum

Sound card, Amplifier, headphones?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dexus
I know there are knowledgeable people on this subject so I came here to ask first before I set off on getting equipment. I'm interested in getting better sound quality but I do not have very much knowledge on audio equipment. I really want to enjoy nice bass and clear treble, but I can't seem to get good fidelity. It's either too flat or the bass muffles the treble.

Currently I'm just using onboard sound with a Creative sound blaster Alpha headset. I don't need a speaker set up, just something with headphones. I'm worried on getting a sound card because I'm not sure if they really are worth getting. I've researched and know that Senheiser are good headphones but I have no idea which to get. I'm really interested in the open air type headphones because I heard it gives nice sound. I also learned that amplifiers help with clarity, but are they really worth getting?

Basically what equipment would you recommend for someone interested in audiophile tech without bombing a grand.
mathexpert
The Audio-Technica ATH-m50 is a classic choice for people who are passionate about sound quality and even, clear music that doesn't sacrifice a strong bass but also has really crisp and nice treble. It performs really well for almost (if not all genres), except perhaps extremely heavy rap or electronica with shittons of bass. It's especially good for lighter electronica (techno, idm, house, ambient), classical, most types of rock, j/k/a pop, jazz, and R&B, to name a few.

To me, it virtually has no downsides. compared to your average $25 pair it's a bit pricy, but the sturdy build and sound quality that you get from it is well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... B000ULAP4U

I don't know much about amps/sound cards though. For anybody that does, do they make a large difference if you already have a good pair of headphones?
- Kashiyuka -
aune T1 for cheap amp+DAC combo, read about it here, this badboy has a DAC in it so you won't need a sound card.

then get something like beyer DT880/990s, sennheiser HD598/650s, AKG k55x/k7xx or anything suggested in that link, would be awesome

Dexus wrote:

without bombing a grand.
the aune t1 goes for about ~$200 so depending on what headphones you buy I'd say you'd be spending about ~$500 altogether

Things to take into consideration are if you're going to use them at your desktop only or take them outside too, how much isolation you want, what kind of music you listen to and so on...

an example would be currently I'm using AKG k701s at my desk only, they're open back and leak alot of sound (my room stays quiet), they're big (I'm sitting at the desk so this isn't a problem), they have good soundstage (awesome for gaming), they're a bit bass weak (without mods anyway... I'm fine with it and it comes out with alot of detail after mods)
Then when I leave the house I use sennheiser HD-25s. they're small, light, tank and have nice isolation.

In the end it's good to make a decision for yourself and do alot of research (like what you're doing here). make an informed purchase and you won't regret it, you might be reluctant to spend the money but its totally worth it. I've been using my mio headphones for almost 2 years now and I don't see them breaking any time soon (proper care goes a long way!) so it has felt like a good investment for me.

edit: spelling, and if you buy the ATH-m50s mentioned above have a look around for prices, I've seen them drop to $100 before.
Topic Starter
Dexus
Thank you for the responses, I'll check more into what you guys suggested
peppy
AD700s are pretty decent and cheaply priced, if you're looking for something open-air and not wanting crazy bass. If you have the extra money, I'd +1 the DT990 recommendation as being the best open-airs i've listened to (still not bass heavy, but it's more present than the ADs and can be EQ'd if necessary).

Amplifiers I've had experience with include the Fiio range, of which I can reocmmend all of them, and the dragonfly if you have a bit more to spend.

Dexus wrote:

Currently I'm just using onboard sound with a Creative sound blaster Alpha headset.
Keep in mind that as long as you are using a usb sound device, you will not benefit at all from a sound card or post-output amplifier (unless you are looking for volume increase).
Topic Starter
Dexus
I'm thinking of getting the DT990 as you said. I don't see a need for the 600 ohm one so I decided on the 250 ohm.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011U ... D686EJ3MRJ

That dragonfly looks really simple to use and I'll probably get it, but my only concern is how do I control what it does? It seems ambiguous when it says that the windows audio is what controls it.
- Kashiyuka -

Dexus wrote:

I'm thinking of getting the DT990 as you said. I don't see a need for the 600 ohm one so I decided on the 250 ohm.

That dragonfly looks really simple to use and I'll probably get it, but my only concern is how do I control what it does? It seems ambiguous when it says that the windows audio is what controls it.
If you buy the 250ohm it benifits greatly with an amp, the dragonfly is a DAC only, it changes the 1s and 0s in the audio into an analogue signal for your headphones, it doesn't amplify the signal as much which is why you can't control the volume and the windows audio is the only way to turn it louder/quieter.

keep in mind as well:

Amazon reviewer wrote:

You've got a USB dongle to which you're going to attach a headphone wire....
if you plug the wire straight in and let it hang down, the USB plug is going to get sloppy sooner than later;
peppy
The dragonfly isn't a "dac only" (DACs without amp circuits are very *very* rare). It has software control of the volume (which still adjusts in the hardware itself, just via windows volume controls, meaning you can use keyboard shortcut keys etc.), and i guarantee it can power dt990s without an issue.

As with all audio gear, I would recommend going into a store to audition it if you can, with your own music. Alternatively, find a store which has a return policy so you can return it if the sound doesn't suit your tastes.
_lain

peppy wrote:

AD700s are pretty decent and cheaply priced, if you're looking for something open-air and not wanting crazy bass. If you have the extra money, I'd +1 the DT990 recommendation as being the best open-airs i've listened to (still not bass heavy, but it's more present than the ADs and can be EQ'd if necessary).

Amplifiers I've had experience with include the Fiio range, of which I can reocmmend all of them, and the dragonfly if you have a bit more to spend.

Dexus wrote:

Currently I'm just using onboard sound with a Creative sound blaster Alpha headset.
Keep in mind that as long as you are using a usb sound device, you will not benefit at all from a sound card or post-output amplifier (unless you are looking for volume increase).
can really vouch for the ad700's. great soundstage. especially good for gaming, just not for bass heavy music, they don't need to be amped either.
also, the build quality is fantastic, they've lasted me some years without a bit of wear or degrading, they're just as comfortable as when i got them
if you're not super serious about creating music, a more simple sound card should do. Xonar DX or something in that range

if you want something a little more portable than the ad700's. ath m50's are very good too. they're better all round generally, but not quite as comfortable!
Topic Starter
Dexus
I read and it said the Dragonfly was a DAC/Amp but as peppy said it controls with windows. I have a USB extension cable anyways so the weight strain wont be a problem.

I went into a local music store and they had a pair and I really liked the quality and how comfortable it was. I've decided on the DT990 and Dragonfly, thanks for the help again.
peppy
You should get some amazing sound out of that combo :). I'm still in awe every time I relisten to something on my dt990s (only bought 'em a month ago as an upgrade to ad900s).
AstralPhnx
I personally use headphones on a build in soundcard (which broke after a bit which I fixed using some DIY, a pin and some sticky tape). I also use razer surround to increase my sound quality and give me that virtual 7.1 surround which makes osu sound AMAZING through headphones.
eldnl

- Kashiyuka - wrote:

Dexus wrote:

If you buy the 250ohm it benifits greatly with an amp, the dragonfly is a DAC only, it changes the 1s and 0s in the audio into an analogue signal for your headphones, it doesn't amplify the signal as much which is why you can't control the volume and the windows audio is the only way to turn it louder/quieter.

keep in mind as well:

Amazon reviewer wrote:

You've got a USB dongle to which you're going to attach a headphone wire....
if you plug the wire straight in and let it hang down, the USB plug is going to get sloppy sooner than later;
I just wonder what's the big difference between 250ohm and 600ohm?
I'm not sure if it is just a volt sutff ...