forum

how did you got better at 5*+...?? im gettings sad and worse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bananahira
im both stuck at my rank horribly due to school and other activities and sometimes i can´t get better, it makes me sad because when i ask for tips, i get the typicals "play more" or "take a break" and that makes be depressed a lot, because i dont have time to play more, and i've taken so much breaks

i have a enormous ammount of practice packs (tech, jacks, jumpstream, handstream, dumps) i i've only succeded on stamina and jumpstream, but pp farming requires a lot of skill on vibro and jackspeed that i cant get after nearly 2 years of playing mania.

i'm rteally inconsistent, HP 9 totally destroys me, i dont have the enough finger speed to do maps on kaiten's dumbstream packs, or speed streams like Makiba or Eternal Drain, my eyes hurt when i play lower rates on chordjack maps above 5*, i cant improve my score on Galaxy Collapse, and a lot of friends with less game time have surpassed me on skill, speed, acc etc...

how can i get better? or how can i cope with the fact that i'm not gifted at this game?
Hoshimegu Mio
Try editing your skin. It may just help.
pofnkul
saying x player is gifted is dumb and stupid
rank sucks don't focus on it at all
if skill plateau then try to play consistently and don't take long breaks
if skill degrading then try to fix technique
eye hurt during game = get it checked by a doctor
if above option is unavailable then try to change playfield or technique
For streams try to fix eye problems cuz reading is half the skillset
makiba, eternal drain, and dumbstream files are way WAY too hard for you. If you want to play them downrate them
For jacks fix eye problem
try to improve eye problem for jacks so you can downrate stuff.
play low bpm dense long stuff for stamina
speedjack sucks
I repeated myself a lot lmao
If you have questions just ask I just wrote a bunch of short tips
Gamesnake7

pofnkul wrote:

makiba, eternal drain, and dumbstream files are way WAY too hard for you. If you want to play them downrate them
speedjack sucks
Thanks for saving my time writing tips like this, though tbh speedjack can be fun depending on person lol

Also about HP 9, it's made as an anti-manip measure so if you can't do a HP 9 map then there's a huge chance you actually can't do it accurately (HP drops with every 50/misses I believe)

And as always don't trust SR too much, SR is irrelevant for speed maps (though it's kinda accurate when comparing a speed map to another, the only time when it's hit or miss is for tech maps lol)
Hoshimegu Mio
Speedjacks are way better than chordjacks. Change my mind.
midgy
the problem is you're looking at that star rating and the difference between a 4* and 5* isn't any difficulty just density you can very easily make 6* charts that are easier than 4* charts
mystV
start off slow, accing maps that are easyyyy. usually this is my way to warm up and have good sessions. and also, youre trying to push yourself playing maps that are difficult for you, youre basically hurting yourself from becoming better at the game, try to have fun :)

dont let the fact that your friends are better than you, you can catch up at your own pace. theres this player that is slightly above my skill level and ive got jealous of him just because of them being better than me, but i had overcome this problem just by having fun and not trying to push myself to the limits.

i think this may help, but there are dozens of stuff that can help you be better at mania gaming lol
Topic Starter
bananahira

pofnkul wrote:

speedjack sucks
eyes hurt reffers to not being able to hit notes as i used to do some time ago, it feels like a eternal slump, i've been asked to take a break, but breaks got me into a huge plateau that i can't get out of it.
i'm getting mindblock on certain patterns that i used to hit well, i tried changing skin and it sucked (bars or circles) but i'm only good at arrows and i have to change their color because some patterns confuse me a lot, i chnged my scroll speed from 28 to 29 but the osu system on it its SO FUCKINGLIMITED that a 28 feels very slow but a 29 feels very fast for reading stuff up 250 bpm

star rating is a headache that doesn't help at all to improve, because technical, minijack, streams or dumps up 5* are downgraded so much sometimes i don't know what im able to do and what im not prepared to do, same happens with downrating charts or HT mod, because even at rates like 0.80 or 0.95 feel or to fast or to slow to play correctly.

i really dont know what to do, ignoring the rank its hard for me because i feel like my time farming and training is getting lost, i tried mapping as an alternative to my lack of improvement, but honestly seeing my maps ignored by the community (forums, discord servers, friendlists, facebook groups) have discouraged me to keep mapping, and let's forget talking about trying to get ranked or at least modded something that isn't weeb shit.

by fixing technique i don't really understand what it means, i changed from wrist down to floating hands because getting from using a laptop keyboard to a mechanical one got me into it suddenly, and it worked very well for me, my stamina is good i guess, my key setup is WEP´, and floating hands have helped me to do jumptrills good, but im still pretty bad at left hand trills and split trills, before getting into sessions i do wrist exercises for 10 minutes.

im trying to play makiba or speed maps like that because i really like dumpstream files, but i still don't find out how to get faster fingers, i can't even fucking DT farm 3* star maps.

i actually have goals set like Fullerene's freedom dive (my mind struggles at reading handstreams), OOPARTS (im still training LN and tech but im not fast enought), Lolit Speed (im not fast enough), Kaiten's dumbstream Powerpuff girls (im not fast enough), The Lost Dedicated (my mind struggles at reading it even with HT or downrated), hi19hi19's MC MENTAL AT IT'S BEST (same with The Lost Dedicated)

this plateau haves me ultra depressed, not enough to make me quit, but enough to make me think of commiting seppuku due to the frustration

how tf can i improve? how can i cope with being bad at this game?
pofnkul
fixing technique generally refers to how you read and hit the note
I can't exactly give specific advice cuz i haven't seen you play
A lot of your goals seem way to far fetched for you rn
pls play offline and talk to someone who can deal with your mental problems because im not credible enough to help with that.
try etterna or something because you might benifit from snap colours
playfield adjusting has a lot more than just scroll speed and receptor type as there is recepter size, recepter location, hit position and a lot more.
go for 98's while pushing
-NoName-
I'm only going to say this once, but this is something I've noticed from you over several months.

This might not be something you want to read, but I feel it is for your own sake anyway. Look man, I don't think your relationship with this game is healthy. Considering your post history, I don't think it is worth playing this game if it stresses you out this much.

Despite what little time you have as you say, you're pushing for improvement way too hard. Everyone has their own journey in this game, but you appear to be sacrificing your enjoyment solely for improvement. Ironically, this is probably the worst way to improve. I've been there myself. I know the feeling of an hour-long session feeling like 4 hours because I seem to be scoring way lower than my peak, but I force myself to continue playing regardless.

I think it is best if you relax a bit. Anyone who bases another person's worth on how good they are at this game (or what keymode they play, or xyz) is not worth talking to.

I don't think any other piece of advice would benefit you as much as the above. If you're not enjoying this game, there is no chance you'll actually improve.
Hoshimegu Mio

-NoName- wrote:

I'm only going to say this once, but this is something I've noticed from you over several months.

This might not be something you want to read, but I feel it is for your own sake anyway. Look man, I don't think your relationship with this game is healthy. Considering your post history, I don't think it is worth playing this game if it stresses you out this much.

Despite what little time you have as you say, you're pushing for improvement way too hard. Everyone has their own journey in this game, but you appear to be sacrificing your enjoyment solely for improvement. Ironically, this is probably the worst way to improve. I've been there myself. I know the feeling of an hour-long session feeling like 4 hours because I seem to be scoring way lower than my peak, but I force myself to continue playing regardless.

I think it is best if you relax a bit. Anyone who bases another person's worth on how good they are at this game (or what keymode they play, or xyz) is not worth talking to.

I don't think any other piece of advice would benefit you as much as the above. If you're not enjoying this game, there is no chance you'll actually improve.
To bananahira: just start mapping like -NoName-. It doesn't hurt as much.
DeltaNami
Big agree with NoName on this one, you're gonna have to decide if it's worth playing the game or not. I've also been down that struggle to improve before and it only made me worse and self-conscious of my playing. Think how you want about the game, but understand that focusing solely on improvement leads to a worse experience inevitably. You're literally playing a game about hitting arrows, it's not that deep.

(Also in regards to the main post: don't compare yourself to other people today, but rather you from yesterday. Try to better your plays from the past and if you can't, practice other rates, files, or skills in the meantime. That's really the best advice I can give.)