forum

What's something you wish you knew when starting mania?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FrostyF
Hi all,

Standard player here, and I started playing 4k/7k mania recently. While browsing the forums I found a few pointers:
  1. Start learning 7k earlier since its easier to remove fingers than to add
  2. Set scroll speed to constant
  3. Avoid converted charts
If you could go back and give your past self a few tips/points what would you say?
pofnkul
learn how to setup and use etterna

also don't screw up your technique by overpushing
mystV
knowing how to install skins
setting scroll speed
i dont know anything else
midgy
dl lots of different skins and take each part you like to make a mash up that works best for you and dl as much variety of files as possible, i mean i did these when i was new but they're really good tips not everyone else does
abraker
dont force yourself
Gamesnake7

pofnkul wrote:

don't screw up your technique by overpushing
This I guess
NeroOtter
Play for your own enjoyment
togmea
i need to cut my nails more (probably not applicable to a lot of people)
Hoshimegu Mio
Knowing that you can actually change the scroll speed (I played with something like 18 before someone told me that changing scroll speed is a thing).

Also for 7K it's best to start out early than to start out late, because you can lose motivation easily when it gives 0 pp later on, and it only starts to yield anything after a whole year of training.
Entropy21
i didnt even know this game existed until 2019 so theres that lol...

o.o
probably busy with college and irl stuffs that the only game i play is league until i quit

-.-
also the first rhythm game i played is guitar hero on playstation controllers that is common way back then here in the philippines
The Vegeto
-DONT PLAY FARM MAPS AND GET BETTER AT TECH U PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!!! that what i would've said to my self
Topic Starter
FrostyF

The Vegeto wrote:

-DONT PLAY FARM MAPS AND GET BETTER AT TECH U PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!!! that what i would've said to my self
What constitutes a farm map in mania? Is it the chart length or is it more pattern based?
Entropy21

FrostyF wrote:

What constitutes a farm map in mania? Is it the chart length or is it more pattern based?
i think most of them are ranked touhou songs that are always 4mins long with dt mod on, easy pp

also dont forget triumph and regret and similar maps that gives huge pp when S'ed, also dt
-NoName-
Try playing less if sessions are consistently bad
Arona
to not be too competitive and not focusing only on improvement, rankings, and such.
this is where i got my anger issues because i was too competitive in this game haha, nowadays im in a much better state now.
back then i used to play this game excessively just to try to improve faster against other players to the point it took a toll on myself mentally.

that advice couldve been very useful lol, im still affected by some of the bad habits ive kept doing that time
pofnkul

FrostyF wrote:

The Vegeto wrote:

anything that awards far too much pp. usually stuff that has bloated SR due to extremely dense patterns like jumptrills.
most pp maps can be found here https://osu-pps.com/#/mania/maps
JustABeginner
Avoid jumping into harder difficulties.
If you can't score better or even pass, take a step down and try an easier difficulty.

Most of the stuff is said above so not going to say pretty much here.
Hoshimegu Mio

Entropy21 wrote:

FrostyF wrote:

i think most of them are ranked touhou songs that are always 4mins long with dt mod on, easy pp

also dont forget triumph and regret and similar maps that gives huge pp when S'ed, also dt
Based opinion on farm maps.

The real pp comes from stuff like TIEFSEE.
Gamesnake7

YyottaCat wrote:

Entropy21 wrote:

FrostyF wrote:

Based opinion on farm maps.

The real pp comes from stuff like TIEFSEE.
Not everyone mains 7K and I'm one of the prime examples 🗿
luxrayy
dont focus on pp yet JUST HAVE FUN PLAY MAPS U LIKE