forum

[invalid] [Proposal] Update requirements for usage of the "Source" field.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
achyoo
Relevant Rule:
You must use the Source field if the song comes from or is directly tied to another media such as a video game, movie, series, event, etc. This also applies if the song was featured or tied to a media after it was released, but is primarily known due to that source. If a song has multiple potential sources, any option is valid.
  1. For remixes, arrangements, or covers based upon the original song, the source of the original song should be used.
  2. Website names may be used as sources when the song is tied to specific cultural phenomena related to the platform, or the song is composed as a website theme/background song.
  3. In cases where a song compilation/remix/medley/etc. has songs without a common source, the sources must be put in the tags instead of the source field (unless the compilation is prominently tied to a source itself).
    osu! itself should never be used in the source field except in cases where the track was specifically created for osu! (also known as an osu! original), such as commissioned tournament tiebreaker tracks.

For my proposal, I'll be focusing on this part:
For remixes, arrangements, or covers based upon the original song, the source of the original song should be used.

In my opinion, this makes no sense as there is no point in tying a song to a source if it not the same version as the media being represented. I shall provide examples in escalating cases of absurdity:

1) Covers:

Example beatmap/song: beatmapsets/1129434#osu/2359459

The song, Koko kara, Koko kara, is used as an ending in the anime Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho. However, the version that is used as the ending is sung by the respective characters' voice actresses (Minase Inori, Hanazawa Kana, Iguchi Yuka, Hayami Saori). The version used in my map is a cover sung by 4 virtual artists.
Even though the song is the same, since the vocalists are different, I don't think it is right to have the anime in the source.

2) Covers of songs not originally produced for relevant media:

Example beatmap/song: beatmapsets/1252432#osu/2602995

The song, Kanade, is originally sung by SUKIMA SWITCH, released as their 2nd single. The song was subsequently used in multiple forms of media. A cover by Amamiya Sora was used in the anime "One Week Friends", and a cover by Takahashi Rie was used in the anime "Teasing Master Takagi-san 2". Later on, for the "One Week Friends" movie, SUKIMA SWITCH remade their own song to be used as a theme for the movie.

Now, back to my map of this. It is a cover sung by Nonomiya Nonono. In this case, which source would make the most sense? Would you even put a source on this? Based on current rules, it is very ambiguous and likely the decision of the first person to rank it (me) would influence future sets.

3) Remixes:

Example beatmap/song: beatmapsets/299454#osu/722224

Referencing a classic map/song, we have the Asterisk DnB remix of Sawai Miku's Colorful. , originally used as the ending for "Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend". While the previous 2 were already different from the original in terms of the mixing and post-production, a remix brings it to another level, with essentially a completely different arrangement and composition.

Under the current rules, ALL OF THESE have to have source field filled in, which to me makes no sense. How far can we deviate from the original, and still need to fill in the source field?

What if we have something like a remix of a cover? (Which is essentially what this entire album is, btw.) Do we still use the source field even though pretty much nothing is even close to the original used other than lyrics?

Hence, my proposal would be to for the Ranking Criteria to:
Only enforce the use of the Source Field if the song being mapped is the same version as what is being tied to the media

^someone could probably word that better than I can, I'm bad at this
Usaha
i see what you mean but completely disagree
Mordred
agree I always thought it was dumb to say something is from X source when that version is never actually playing there

ideally you would have a marker of some sort that you could add to the source field indicating that it’s a cover / remix / etc but we would need dev support for that :D
Topic Starter
achyoo
yea the marker thing would be most ideal, there was some discussion in BN server about why the source field was important for these kinds of covers/etc which basically boils down to identification of the original song that the cover/remix was based on
kisata
I think the argument is strongest for example two. The song in question existed before the media it later got added to. Making it the "source" of the material does not make logical sense because it wasn't the actual original source of the material even if it became more well known later on due to it's inclusion in other forms of media.

I completely disagree with example one. The song in question has an original source - the media it was made for. That the singer changes does not alter this fact. In my opinion, the Source field should reflect the actual source of the song in question. The vtubers performing the song in question did not write it and were not the origin of the material.

I'm largely indifferent to example three. The alterations made to the song are extensive though it still retains elements of the original source material (e.g. lyrics). I don't really care if we changed the rule for these as long as it's done consistently.
SaltyLucario
1st and 3rd are fine
2nd does not need any changes - its already covered in rc
"For remixes, arrangements, or covers based upon the original song, the source of the original song should be used."

aka if original song has no source, then cover not tied to any media also shouldnt have any
Okoratu
partially superseded by community/forums/topics/1894663?n=1
consensus on the thread here was that having the source on remixes is usually helpful information and could stay around though