forum

The best (irregular?) sliders of your osu!mapping career

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chiru-kun
hi there, I got another post idea www

1. story time
some context. I'm a mapper, and one of my frequently used cards in my skillset is playing around with slidershapes. whether or not I've mastered it is not the focus of this post.

I was mapping a song where the overall theme was just irregular tech-like but pop song-worthy sliders everywhere. so in that map I recently received this mod (praising) commenting on a not-so-special irregular slider on my map. here it is:

seeing this specific comment was a surprise to me. when I made that specific slider, I was happy with it. but it's such a minor part of the song that I forgot about it soon enough; although it's the chorus, it's not the downbeat, and the slidershape isn't that special compared to all the other stuff I do in the map.

but this slider, this specific slider when seen alone, was recognized as really fitting by someone else completely.

it reminds me of other sliders I've made, so I came up with this odd post idea.
2. slider appreciation time
tldr: let's take a moment to appreciate the best irregular sliders we've made in our entire osu!mapping career and post them here! a somewhat reflective and still a forum-like topic I hope.

0. run through your past maps and pick out (ss) irregular and uncommon sliders you've made.
- as an example and note wave sliders are pretty common so... unless there's a reason for it's irregularity, think about that
1. share a picture of the slider
2. context of the map its in
3. any other comments

I originally considered just irregular sliders, but I guess normal but blown out simple sliders work. maybe you got a curve slider that extends from bottom right to top left corner of the screen for some reason; that's irregular enough in use technically.

doesn't have to be full-blown sliderart or super good, as long as it's generally irregular.
3. my take

same map as the sample above. this one is in a more prominent part of the song though. the guitar reaches and all time high in pitch in the 4 mins, and the musical scale changes. this long sound is the loud sound that forced the pitch change, and I think this slider shows that really well.

this is a slider of what I personally consider is my best map. the map is full of commonly used irregular sliders, but this one is in the instrumental section which sounds much more wacky. plus points for how I actually planned this slidershape rather than pull it out from random tries.

another irreg. slider in a really unimportant part of a map. I guess the loop-curve combo in a slider just came to me naturally? hm

sliderarts. they're in prominent parts of the song, so they're naturally gonna end up like that, so they lose points for me. deserves a mention though I guess. first one is the katakana for "Elma," second one is the staple heart-themed sliderart at the end of maps. LOL why is it so common?

not "irregular" per se, but unique. this sound is just a guitar strumming really hard back and forth for a good 1.5 seconds. special mention to the way I positioned the buzz slider head, that's also unusual for normal slider transition from prev note, especially since before this was a long stream from the other half of the map lol

there we go, 4 years of mapping, 6 irregular sliders I'm proud of LOL
lewski
that one time i put a random fullscreen heart slider in the middle of a verse for no reason like a month after i started mapping (sadly it's lost forever)