forum

Local offset outside of map [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
anonymous_old
It seems the only way I can change the local offset is by playing the song and using +/-. I would like to change it outside of the song so I don't have to keep retrying or going into Auto to adjust the local offset.
Gabi
i dont get it. instead of playing the map and adjusting, you would rather go outside to song select and adjust the offset from there? dont you have to retry in the end anyway?
Derekku
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Sleep Powder
I get his point of view though.

Since its hard to change the offset when your actually playing.
When you pause it messes you up.

Support?
Derekku
Can't you just pause the second you start the map to adjust it? I really don't see the need of having to do it outside the map =< (Yeah, it might be useful for a few people, but it's not that practical for everyone)
Topic Starter
anonymous_old
Well, you can pause, yeah.

It's mainly for adjusting the local offset to the online offset.
Kitsunemimi
Set local offset to online offset button.
Intermezzo
You can already use the editor to change the offset and remember the value....
Topic Starter
anonymous_old

Intermezzo wrote:

Hmm? This is for the local offset, not the map's offset. You can change the local offset of ranked maps.
Intermezzo

strager wrote:

Intermezzo wrote:

Hmm? This is for the local offset, not the map's offset. You can change the local offset of ranked maps.
And remember the value and change the local offset accordingly...
Topic Starter
anonymous_old

Intermezzo wrote:

strager wrote:

Intermezzo wrote:

And remember the value and change the local offset accordingly...
That won't be possible in the future.

Also, the point if this request is so I can change the loacl offset without playing the map.
Derekku
What you're talking about, Intermezzo, is the Universal Offset of maps. If the U. offset is off after ranking (e.g., older maps), BATs/Mods/admins can change the "Online Offset" to make it better. Players, then, have their own Local Offsets which they can adjust on a per-map basis if they feel that the offset still isn't "perfect" in their own eyes/ears. It can be set in increments of 5 in a +/- direction. There's no need to go into editor and see what the offset is.

What strager wants is to be able to change the local (per-map) personal offset without having to go into the map. But I don't see a point because you would only need to change that if the map (while playing) feels off.
Intermezzo
How the hell do you suppose to find the right local offset without playing the map?
Topic Starter
anonymous_old
Setting to online offset would be much quicker outside the map.

Derekku, that's not the UO, afaik.
Derekku
Well, whatever the editor's offset thing is called.

And what do you mean "setting to online offset"? Why would you set your local offset to online offset? That's just be twice as much offset :/
Ekaru

Derekku Chan wrote:

Can't you just pause the second you start the map to adjust it?
Not anymore. :P If you try to do it while paused, you get a message now, saying you can only do it while playing. Last time I checked, at least. Which was, like, yesterday.
Topic Starter
anonymous_old

Derekku Chan wrote:

And what do you mean "setting to online offset"? Why would you set your local offset to online offset? That's just be twice as much offset :/
Uh, really?
Intermezzo

strager wrote:

Setting to online offset would be much quicker outside the map.
Really? Wouldn't that imply you already know the right offset, how would you find out without playing the map first?
If you remembered the offset somehow, you have plenty time during the intro and have the opportunity to finish the beatmap without an extra retry. If you only wanted to adjust it without playing it, it would only take you 10 extra seconds to startup the beatmap, press + and exit.

What strager wants is to be able to change the local (per-map) personal offset without having to go into the map.

Derekku Chan wrote:

What you're talking about, Intermezzo, is the Universal Offset of maps. If the U. offset is off after ranking (e.g., older maps), BATs/Mods/admins can change the "Online Offset" to make it better. Players, then, have their own Local Offsets which they can adjust on a per-map basis if they feel that the offset still isn't "perfect" in their own eyes/ears. It can be set in increments of 5 in a +/- direction. There's no need to go into editor and see what the offset is.
I understood that part correctly, I was merely suggesting an easy way to find the right offset without actually playing the map, as I thought that was what strager wanted.
Also the Universal offset is a global override (counts for every map), and the local offset only affects a specific map.
LuigiHann

strager wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

Uh, really?
The online offset is automatically forced on you. That's what it's there for. It'd be a big waste if it was just a suggestion, don't you think?

Although, I remember hearing a while back that the online offset and the local offset might actually go in opposite directions, so setting them to the same number would just cancel them both out and leave you with the map's original offset. I assumed that was fixed, and I may be confusing one or the other of these variables with a UO.
Topic Starter
anonymous_old

LuigiHann wrote:

strager wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

Uh, really?
The online offset is automatically forced on you. That's what it's there for. It'd be a big waste if it was just a suggestion, don't you think?

Although, I remember hearing a while back that the online offset and the local offset might actually go in opposite directions, so setting them to the same number would just cancel them both out and leave you with the map's original offset. I assumed that was fixed, and I may be confusing one or the other of these variables with a UO.
Uhh...

What.

I knew some maps' offsets were basically reversed (online was -30 and I had to set to 30 for it to work properly). Others seem to be mistimed unless I set local == online though. Could be placebo, I don't know.

Intermezzo, there are some songs which need an offset change and I have to retry many times or use Auto to get it to what I think is right.

Also, I thought the UO didn't affect the offset at all, just the audio?
Intermezzo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
anonymous_old

Intermezzo wrote:

strager wrote:

Intermezzo, there are some songs which need an offset change and I have to retry many times or use Auto to get it to what I think is right.
The editor already is an Ideal place to find the right local offset, the only thing left to do is remember the difference between the new offset you found out in the editor and the previous (wrong) offset and then change it in testmode using+/-. (I'm not implying to save the new beatmap and overwrite the old one, as that wouldn't work).
This won't be possible soon with OSZ2.
mattyu007
osz2 will only stop you from getting the audio files from the map, not editing the map...
Derekku
And I thought that osz2 would only not let you play test a map in editor, but still be able to open a song in it :/
Topic Starter
anonymous_old
OSZ2 will prevent you from accessing the files of a map. This includes all audio and .osu files.

OSZ2 will also prevent you from editing a ranked map. That is, it will prevent you from openning a ranked map in the editor.

(I'm 90% sure.)
Gabi

Ekaru wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

Can't you just pause the second you start the map to adjust it?
Not anymore. :P If you try to do it while paused, you get a message now, saying you can only do it while playing. Last time I checked, at least. Which was, like, yesterday.
you can pause it, then unpause it which will put you at the screen where you have to click the cursor to start playing again. during that part you can change the offset.

also about OSZ2 blocking one from entering the editor on ranked maps, i strongly disagree with that and i really really hope peppy does not make it like that.
FurukawaPan
Not being able to edit ranked maps seems a little draconian to me. I understand packing the files up, or even blocking access to copying out audio/mp3 files (for copyright reasons), but blocking access to all assets within ranked maps means:

1)Once a map is "Ranked", you can't diagnose any problems with it (such as strange offsets or bpm's)
2)Persons cannot learn how storyboards were created by looking at the layout in the storyboard editor
3)Assets such as background images, skin elements, etc. even with permission from the original author, would not be accessible.

I really think we're at a point here where we can either choose to be an open-source style community, where elements of our work are open and available, or a closed-source proprietary style community where every author guards and keeps everything they do to themselves. People shouldn't have to 'hack' or be 'bad' members of the community just because they want to play with existing elements, or create new works out of people's existing works.

For this reason, I do hope the osu! interface creates a very open access system to the elements contained within osz2 files. I am a strong supporter of open interfaces, and the free ability to *edit* the existing works of members from the community. Of course the edited version of a ranked map shows up in the game as "not ranked", or "click here to get the latest version", as an edited map would not be playable for a ranked score. We should still have access though.
peppy