forum

[Rule Change] Source and tags must be the same.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BeatofIke
I was a bit misleaded by this rule. Shouldn't the Title, Unicode Title, Artist, and Unicode Artist be the same throughout the mapset as well? :?
It's like saying that having a different artist and title in each map is rankable lol. It's probably common knowledge in the end, but I just wanted to clarify this.

Current Ranking Criteria:
Source and tags must be the same throughout the mapset so that searching is kept consistent and clean.
Rule Change:
Source, Title, Unicode Title, Artist, Unicode Artist, and tags must be the same throughout the mapset so that searching is kept consistent and clean.
Ephemeral
Metadata must be consistent across all difficulties.
Better?
Topic Starter
BeatofIke
Yes Sir!
Sonnyc
I guess there's no criteria that we MUST add guest diff mappers on the tags, but mostly we think that as a necessary rule.
However if the guest difficulty is named as [TaMul's Normal] for example, searching both in the forum and in-game with the query "TaMul" leads to the map even no tags of him is added.

So my point is that there is no actual reason to add the guest difficulty mapper's ID on the tags, and want to suggest we don't have to add them on the tags.

Exceptions might be an altered difficulty name where needs the mapper's id. For example [SCV's Hard], not [HelloSCV's Hard], will need "HelloSCV" on the tags.
NoHitter
It's for searching in the beatmap listing. If you don't place the guest diff mapper's name in the tag, that song which they mapped a diff in won't appear in the beatm,ap listing if you search their name.
Sonnyc

NoHitter wrote:

It's for searching in the beatmap listing. If you don't place the guest diff mapper's name in the tag, that song which they mapped a diff in won't appear in the beatm,ap listing if you search their name.
Have you tried my link in the main post?
It seems the search is supporting for difficulty names.
Garven
In-game searches will only come up with the individual map instead of the mapset. Thay is why we add these tags.
Loctav
Inconsistent tags break the website search. To make a mapset findable via all tags, you must add them to all difficulties.
(I never understood why tag/meta data changes do not apply automatically across all diffs - I should head to the feature request board)
lolcubes

Loctav wrote:

Inconsistent tags break the website search. To make a mapset findable via all tags, you must add them to all difficulties.
(I never understood why tag/meta data changes do not apply automatically across all diffs - I should head to the feature request board)
His point is that tags are not necessary at all if the difficulty contains the mapper name already.
I agree with Garven though. If it's a guest difficulty a whole mapset should be displayed.
Think of it like this:
Mapper A submits the mapset and Mapper B has a guest diff. If you search with Mapper A the whole mapset will be displayed, regardless of Mapper B mapping the guest difficulty. It would make sense if the same happens if you searched using Mapper B.
Kytoxid

lolcubes wrote:

I agree with Garven though. If it's a guest difficulty a whole mapset should be displayed.
Think of it like this:
Mapper A submits the mapset and Mapper B has a guest diff. If you search with Mapper A the whole mapset will be displayed, regardless of Mapper B mapping the guest difficulty. It would make sense if the same happens if you searched using Mapper B.
I'm actually on the fence about this. If I was searching for "cRyo insane", clearly I'm looking for an Insane map by cRyo; I wouldn't search for that with the goal of finding an Insane on a mapset where cRyo has a Hard. (i.e. things like this popping up is not what I really want: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/185761)

On the other hand, if a guest Insane on one of his maps popped up in the search, I think that would be fine because he still holds some responsibility over the guest Insane.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Merged the two topics that were discussing consistency within the source and tags issue, since they were referencing the same rule.
Kytoxid

Ephemeral wrote:

Metadata must be consistent across all difficulties.
Better?
No one seems to really care about this change any more. I guess we can continue as we have always been, and just change the RC to be a bit clearer on what needs to be consistent.

All metadata, with the exception of difficulty name, must be consistent across all difficulties. This ensures beatmaps are grouped logically in-game and searching is kept consistent and clean.

Is this good with everyone?
TheVileOne
Sounds like a decent rule change to me. It's already true. >.>
Kytoxid
All metadata, with the exception of difficulty name, must be consistent across all difficulties. This ensures beatmaps are grouped logically in-game and searching is kept consistent and clean.

Bubbling. This seems pretty obvious. Will give a week before it's added.
Charles445
Yo you're forgetting about stuff like letterboxing.
Sometimes people want to make those changes for different difficulties, especially in hybrid sets.

A blanket rule like this will cause problems.
those
Letterboxing isn't metadata
Charles445
Ok phew, glad they aren't stored in the same place
Ephemeral
Quite possibly the longest week we've ever had.