forum

osu! on Linux with Bottles

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
s3_j0d1

With Bottles now you can install osu! in Linux with ease. In this guide, we will cover how to install the Bottle until your osu! run on your machine

NOTE: This test is performed on a virtual machine running Kubuntu 22.04 LTS and the test peripherals are only keyboard and mouse. Using other than this peripheral is not guaranteed (It may work).

1. Install the Flatpak

Flatpak is the recommended way of installing Bottles, so we install this first:
sudo apt install flatpak
Other distro (not debian based), refer to this https://flatpak.org/setup/

Reboot your system

Add the Flathub repository:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

2. Install the Bottles

Bottles are the software where osu! run, install with:
flatpak install flathub com.usebottles.bottles

Open Bottles by clicking the icon, if you do not find the icon you can search using the menu search in your distro or using this command:
flatpak run com.usebottles.bottles
Once opened you will be greeted with an information panel, click next and install some necessary dependencies

When done create a new bottle by clicking "Create a New Bottle", name your bottle, choose the "Application" environment and wait for the bottle to be created

3. Install dependencies and installing osu!

• This is the list of dependencies:
  1. cjkfonts
  2. allfonts
  3. dotnet48
  4. gdiplus
  5. d3dx11
  6. faudio

You can install it by clicking the arrow, clicking the dependencies tab, search and install the listed dependencies above

After installing the dependencies, click on the details & utilities and click run executable

After installing osu! it should launch itself up and check the performance if you don't find it satisfactory. Try tweaking it in the preferences tab

You can add osu! to the programs tab by clicking "+" button and enabling show hidden files. Usually, the osu!.exe is located in:
/home/[user name]/.var/app/com.usebottles.bottles/data/bottles/bottles/[bottles name]/drive_c/users/[user name]/AppData/Local/osu!

4. Done! 🎉🎉🎉

Now you can play osu!. Share your experience with other people in this thread or if you have trouble and know how to fix it, share it here. It will be helpful

5. Addtional information

During my test on a virtual machine (VMware) with 4GB RAM, 2 Core CPU and display with 1366 x 768. It ran quite smoothly. On the menu it ran average 60~50 fps with a latency of 30~20 ms and on "solo playroom" it ran about 30~20 fps with a latency of 50~40 ms (kinda rough). On the gameplay (with detail settings all disabled), it ran average 70~60 fps with 20~10 ms (impressive). But still, I'm calling this a success

Bottles website: https://usebottles.com/
eycer1995
What a coincidence, i was just looking how to install osu! on linux and all the guides I found were using lutris... but then I remembered about Bottles (casually saw it when scrolling on flathub few weeks ago), and I liked the idea of "containerized" windows apps luckily someone tried with osu nice timing there huh.

really thank you for posting this definitely will try it, currently using fedora 36. Is nice to see some linux pals around here!
DanilPl3yOff
OwO Thanks you so much!

It's so easier install now, than before and it even runs from my windows installation.
also much better perfomance wise, I'm happy now :3

- from Manjaro linux on Swift SF314-41G

Edit: since install I had issue with map loading, they are really slow (like 20s on each listing of beatmaps) and osu! is freezing when I try to use search.

FIX: if you have something like this, Select Runner "sys-wine-7.7" in (Bottle)Preferences -> Component version. hope this will help you too :3

Otherwise performance on this laptop something like this:
resolution: 1920x1080
menu: 120fps ~8-9ms
single player gameplay: ~480fps ~2-4ms

when on windows it was like 10ms in gameplay with resolution of 1280x720
Nyaaori
Just a heads up, on systems with vulkan support, it's better to leave out d3dx11 and use bottles's dxvk-async component instead. Make sure to set DXVK_ASYNC to 1 under environment variables.

Additionally, on nvidia systems you need to also install nvidia's flatpak runtime and make sure it matches your current nvidia driver version, it's not pulled in automatically.

I'm tempted to post my own similar guide focusing on Fedora Kinoite and SteamOS 3 as those are both immutable-root systems and require using flatpaks for installing software. There's also a lot of latency tuning you can do and current pinned guide doesn't cover what you do on more modern distros.
Repentance
Is not the installation with Wine is clearest and optimum?
Topic Starter
s3_j0d1

Nyaaori wrote:

Just a heads up, on systems with vulkan support, it's better to leave out d3dx11 and use bottles's dxvk-async component instead. Make sure to set DXVK_ASYNC to 1 under environment variables.

Additionally, on nvidia systems you need to also install nvidia's flatpak runtime and make sure it matches your current nvidia driver version, it's not pulled in automatically.

I'm tempted to post my own similar guide focusing on Fedora Kinoite and SteamOS 3 as those are both immutable-root systems and require using flatpaks for installing software. There's also a lot of latency tuning you can do and current pinned guide doesn't cover what you do on more modern distros.
Thanks for adding a helpful tips.
We need more people to try it because every system is different (graphics, peripheral, distros, etc) and I'm curious to see the performance and how to fix it (if there any trouble)

Nyaaori wrote:

There's also a lot of latency tuning you can do and current pinned guide doesn't cover what you do on more modern distros.
Can you tell me how to do it?