forum

myth: if you create songs below 3 minutes, the song is atleast slightly easier to make

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
akmal2232232123
lets discuss this
ClevelandsMyBro
what do you mean by "atleast slightly easier to make"?
Topic Starter
akmal2232232123
its quicker to make
ClevelandsMyBro
depends on how complex the song is tbh. someone could make a 50 seconds grammy winning song with complex rhythm and everything that took years to make and on the other hand that same person could make a 1 hour copy+paste shitshow within a minute.
TheKingHenry

akmal2232232123 wrote:

its quicker to make
well, on average, shorter will always be quicker to make than longer. Even if all you do is copy-paste sections, that's still more work done than not copy-pasting those
q.e.d?

but "easier to make" is more complicated. To begin with, there are differences between styles of music and how easy they are to make, also with length as a factor. For example, something low tempo like doom metal or drone music wouldn't have trouble going over 3 minutes, while composing something like complex fugues for orchestra could take ages for just the couple mins - at the very least if you are lacking routine

as another note, "simple and short" songs aren't always easy either. I vividly remember interesting interview with Ihsahn, who is one of all-time names in metal scene, where he talked about his fascination with well-done pop / rock / etc. "hit songs", and how hard it is to actually make a great concise package of a song. And while it's not my style either, I do agree (though personally I think a lot of the "hit songs" I may hear are completely lacking in being actual hit songs as per this idea).

basically, it's complicated, with many factors. I don't think there's going to be any complete answers to this, other than what I started with. Aka, that if just looking at absolute length, it is of course easier and quicker to make a short song than to make (the same song) a longer one
Neigdoig
Hip-hop music producer here!

I can say that if a song is under three minutes, depending on how complex you want the sounds to be, it shouldn't take too long to mix, edit and master it, but it do be takin' all dat time. As a user of GarageBand for iOS, I just use the sound packs released by Apple, and change them to my liking (then again, I do things in a relatively quick manner).

So I'll be brutally honest, songs, whether it be longer or shorter than 3 minutes, do not take shorter time to be produced. It depends on the instruments used, effects, EQ, compression, and all sorts of things not discussed here. Those are what take time (unless you have a good ear and do things relatively quickly).