forum

[Proposal (Guideline)] Standardisation of Extra/Expert difficulty naming

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
fluxie31
This will likely sound really nitpicky and self-centered, but in my opinion, using the difficulty names "Extra" and "Expert" in the same mapset is really irritating to me.

I propose that a guideline is introduced that states the following:

The difficulty names "Extra" and "Expert" should not be used together in the same mapset. A difficulty name like "Extreme" should be used to indicate a difficulty that is a difficulty level above Extra/Expert. Two or more maps that are intended to be the same difficulty level should all use Extra or Expert, but not a combination of both.

Maybe something less wordy? But along the lines of that.

My reasoning for proposing this be added as a guideline instead of a rule is that I do think there are acceptable use cases. For example, take an Extra difficulty and Expert difficulty being the same star rating, but Extra is a lot more gimmicky. I feel like this would warrant the difficulty name "Extra" better in the context since it would stand out from the rest of the mapset, making it more of a true "Extra" difficulty, as if it were a bonus stage.
lewski

Flux3on wrote:

This will likely sound really nitpicky and self-centered, but in my opinion, using the difficulty names "Extra" and "Expert" in the same mapset is really irritating to me.
it does sound like that yeah
for example i cant relate to that feeling at all so the proposal seems pointless
caps
it does tick me off a little when the extra is before the expert but that doesn't really matter now does it

let people do what they want tbh it doesn't really harm anyone
Ideal
these are all just alternative names rather than actual difficulty indicators, I personally don't really see this as enough of a big deal to justify standardization
atlas
agree with ideal, honestly it should be left up to mapper preference if they want to use both or not; extra and expert are often used for the same difficulty level and dont think that really needs to be changed as they both imply a hard(er) diff
bluirre
for gimmicks isnt the dif called 'another' or am i gaslighting myself
Topic Starter
fluxie31

bluirre wrote:

for gimmicks isnt the dif called 'another' or am i gaslighting myself
I always thought Another was for diffs in between Insane and Extra/Expert
Nao Tomori
bad proposal imo
Arzenvald
aiq
imo rc proposals should only be made if the guideline/rule actually benefits or improves mapping capabilities, makes already existing entries easier to read/understand or otherwise fix actual issues or potential inconsistencies (e.g. some metadata stuff like markers)

this doesnt fall in any of the categories above, so it just feels really unnecessary to me
pishifat
going to archive as general consensus from responses here is to not change this