forum

[added] [osu!mania] 2-Player Mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +9
Topic Starter
Mishukax
Okay this may have been requested before. - I have a friend that likes to play osu on my computer/laptop, but unfortunately he doesn't have one so we can't play together. We can share notes but it feels wrong that way, and we can't versus. If there was way to play in 2-Players mode in osu!mania (or maybe even Taiko) (probably a setting in the mods section) by having two scrollers, one on the left side (default) and one on the right side. Of course points are calculated separately, and mods apply to both (separating the mods would be asking too much). The second player would be considered a guest player and scores won't be sent online (if connected).
xxbidiao
I do support this.

However I have no votes :o

(I haven't receive votes for years already)
Bobbias
Here's a big problem. Many keyboards have key blocking issues, and/or don't support more than 6 keys pressed at once. This is a problem playing with 1 player, even if you could find a key setup that had enough room for both players, I doubt most people would be able to play anything properly. Even 4k for both players can easily require 6-8 keys at once. As soon as you are required to press all 4 keys for both players, you run into the 6 keys at once limitation. Considering that 4k is the lowest number of keys you can have, anything more than that would be even more difficult to manage. Two players playing 7k at once would be nearly impossible.

Because it would be so limited, I don't see this being implemented.
xxbidiao

Bobbias wrote:

Here's a big problem. Many keyboards have key blocking issues, and/or don't support more than 6 keys pressed at once. This is a problem playing with 1 player, even if you could find a key setup that had enough room for both players, I doubt most people would be able to play anything properly. Even 4k for both players can easily require 6-8 keys at once. As soon as you are required to press all 4 keys for both players, you run into the 6 keys at once limitation. Considering that 4k is the lowest number of keys you can have, anything more than that would be even more difficult to manage. Two players playing 7k at once would be nearly impossible.

Actually 2P Playing always need specific keyboard.
Not only on such rhythm games, if you just want to play some arcade games (simulator) on the PC, you would have to get a keyboard which can press a lot of keys at once.

Though 2 player co-op would be another good idea and it bypasses the key problem.
Bobbias

xxbidiao wrote:

Bobbias wrote:

Actually 2P Playing always need specific keyboard.
Not only on such rhythm games, if you just want to play some arcade games (simulator) on the PC, you would have to get a keyboard which can press a lot of keys at once.

Though 2 player co-op would be another good idea and it bypasses the key problem.
There are 2P games that don't require more than 6 keys at once. But yes, many things do.

I can't speak for peppy, but from what I understand, peppy does not want any feature that is a core part of the game (which includes each game mode, and would include this feature if it was added) to require either special equipment, or extra equipment.

I wouldn't care if a 2-player mode was added. I'm not personally against this suggestion. I'm just saying I don't think it's likely, because of the 6+ key problem.
Topic Starter
Mishukax

Bobbias wrote:

I don't see the key blocking as a problem, as xxbidiao said, many games require specific keyboard. The problem I just realized is that you would need a really big keyboard to be able to play with two 7k, and it would probably be impossible on laptops... unless you can plug in a second keyboard to your laptop. Well I suppose 4k, 5k and 6k would be possible. I doubt this will be implemented, but I don't see why not, it would make the game much better to me.
Bobbias

Mishukax wrote:

I don't see the key blocking as a problem, as xxbidiao said, many games require specific keyboard.
Go read this thread t/127291

Ranked maps are not allowed ore than 6 keys because it would require either a special keyboard or 2 keyboards. I disagree with it myself but that doesn't change the fact that it's a rule.

Following the spirit of that rule this would not be allowed. What I mean is that the logical reason more than 6 keys at once is not allowed is equally applicable to any other officially supported feature. For a 2 player system to be implemented, I can almost guarantee peppy would require it to be fully playable without requiring a better keyboard, or 2 separate ones.

A huge selection of maps would be unplayable in 2 player mode for anyone without nkro or 2 keyboards, so it's not likely to be accepted.

I'm not saying I agree with this. Only explaining why I think this would be denied by woc or peppy.
FrzR
Could be nice with Key settings that are divisible by two. i.e 4,6,8k. I've seen this feature in o2jam. :3
Topic Starter
Mishukax

Fr33z3R wrote:

Could be nice with Key settings that are divisible by two. i.e 4,6,8k. I've seen this feature in o2jam. :3
That, perhaps... But it's kind of cheap to play with only half the notes from the song. It's confusing and way too easy :/

Guess I'll just have to see peppy's decision.
Flanster
Your idea reminds me of DJMAX Trilogy :P
DJNightmare

LoliFlan wrote:

Your idea reminds me of DJMAX Trilogy :P
WHY IS MY NAME THERE? :o

Also, i liek this idea, i'm hoping that it could use a kind of skin-downloading system by downloading from the other player's skin and appear on this match.
These skin's can be labeled differently on the skin tab?

EDIT: Disregard that idea, I thought it was a multiplayer online thing ._.
But then again, I guess it can work on 2-player mode also D:
- Marco -
In 2 days i will shoot 2 stars to you... just wait :D
[ iL ]
I'm in! Now how do I vote?

SPOILER
I'm new to the forum
Winshley
There's one workaround to resolve the key ghosting issue: Use 2 different keyboards (one keyboard for each player) and make sure that both player's key bindings aren't conflicting with each other. :P
FrzR

TheWhiteLord5 wrote:

I'm in! Now how do I vote?

SPOILER
I'm new to the forum
You need to be a supporter. :P
FrzR

Winshley wrote:

There's one workaround to resolve the key ghosting issue: Use 2 different keyboards (one keyboard for each player) and make sure that both player's key bindings aren't conflicting with each other. :P
Last week, my friend has brought his laptop. We played osu! as well with another friend. So it's actually a weird 6K, 3 player map. 2 Keys per person. xDD

Some of the keys are binded outside the home keys though, making it hard for the system to respond quickly.
kzkaze
I had the same idea as him, hope they'll add this mode soon :D
or the other way, instead of adding "2 player local mode", i need if there's an option (or tutorial how to) to make osu!mania skin .ini (7K.ini 8K.ini etc.) should look like this as you can see that is 10K osu!mania. And there's a gap betweeen those 5 keys. so what i mean is i want to know how to edit the standard 7k or 8k, 9k to put a gap on the middle of them just like that (so 7k would be 4 keys + 3 keys, and 8k there' a gap between each 4 keys, etc). instead of the 2 player local mode. any reply would be appreciated :D
Full Tablet

kzkaze wrote:

I had the same idea as him, hope they'll add this mode soon :D
or the other way, instead of adding "2 player local mode", i need if there's an option (or tutorial how to) to make osu!mania skin .ini (7K.ini 8K.ini etc.) should look like this as you can see that is 10K osu!mania. And there's a gap betweeen those 5 keys. so what i mean is i want to know how to edit the standard 7k or 8k, 9k to put a gap on the middle of them just like that (so 7k would be 4 keys + 3 keys, and 8k there' a gap between each 4 keys, etc). instead of the 2 player local mode. any reply would be appreciated :D
You can separate the keys with the "ColumnSpacing" property in the skin.ini file in your skin.

kzkaze
Thanks Full Tablet it works, now it makes easier playing with 2 persons, even the combo still counted as one combo :s
Full Tablet

kzkaze wrote:

Thanks Full Tablet it works, now it makes easier playing with 2 persons, even the combo still counted as one combo :s
BTW, playing Solo mode in ranked maps with 2 people is against the rules.